Unity - ToB Game (Recruiting)

Voidrazor

First Post
Shouldn't be a problem, assuming nobody's planning on taking paladin levels. I'd like to create some dramatic tension, but not disrupt the party. Arch as LE would be completely dedicated to the cause, but would have a badass attitude and a rather dark opinion as to how most NPC's should be treated. I'd be happy to specify that he's perma-charmed, if you think that would be necessary to keep him manageable. As a fall back I could co LN but I'd rather not if it isn't absolutely necessary.

hafrogman

Adventurer
gabrion said:
@hafrogman-Nice so far, but I have a question. If you plan to stick with Bloodstorm Blade (at least for one more level) is there a reason why he's Dex based rather than Str based? If it's thematic that's cool, but it seems like a higher Str would serve him better in the long run (or even the immediate future).

The dex priority is for various reasons, some thematic.

1) The winged template bases maneuverability on dex. 17+ needed for perfect. I like to not have to worry about it.

2) This point doesn't apply any more. I thought that one was limited to light armor for flying, but looking over the SRD it specifically mentions load only, not armor encumberance class. Light armor would imply a better dex for defence.

Hmm, now I have to think about it more.

gabrion

First Post
hafrogman said:
The dex priority is for various reasons, some thematic.

1) The winged template bases maneuverability on dex. 17+ needed for perfect. I like to not have to worry about it.

2) This point doesn't apply any more. I thought that one was limited to light armor for flying, but looking over the SRD it specifically mentions load only, not armor encumberance class. Light armor would imply a better dex for defence.

Hmm, now I have to think about it more.

That's alll good and well, but probably what's even more strange is INT being prioritized over STR. It seems like you've purchased a lot of unnecessary cc skills. Are they going to qualify you for a PrC or something? If not, I would be inclined to prioritize those stats as STR->DEX->INT. If you start with DEX 16 and add +1 at 4th level, you'll have the 17+ needed for perfect maneuverability. Anyway, these are just my thoughts.

Azaar

Explorer
Right now, stat prioritizing is my problem as well. STR is my dump stat right now, because melee isn't where I want to be. INT is currently my top (although that'll likely change to being the 14 in favor of CHA, since CHA governs extra warmage spells), with DEX and WIS holding the 16s and CON currently the 14 (although if I switch around with INT and CHA like I mentioned above, CON will likely drop to being a 10).

What really bites is that there isn't much of a way to boost my stats without blowing a sizable chunk of my starting gold. I also have the 4th level attribute point to consider as well -- or is that being considered part of the 18, 16, 16, 14, 10, 8 stat set? Pity the Belt of Magnificience from the Miniatures Handbook is so expensive, 'cause it would be a boon.

It makes me wonder whether I should consider going with some material from the Book of Exalted Deeds and try Sacred Vow/Vow of Poverty...

hafrogman

Adventurer
Character revised a bit based on comments.

I do like playing intelligent characters, but I ran into the problem that Warblades have no good skills to spend those points one, hence all the cc skills. I also tried to provide a little healing capability as we have no divine casters.

Also, when I designed the character I didn't have the template bonus, so that's allowed me to shift around a little.

gabrion

First Post
Hey, sorry I've been away for a bit, but I've been dealing with midterms of late. Things will settle down by this weekend and I'll be able to give everything a good looking over and try to get this game running

James Heard

Explorer
I guess it would help if I had a submission to "get in on it" with:

Farid bin Anwar abu Mikal Al-Hassan
Neutral Good Human Male Swordsage 6

Height: 5'3
Weight: 100 lbs
Eyes: A disturbingly yellowish amber in the left, and dark brown in the right
Hair: Black and Prematurely Graying
Skin: Sunbrowned

STR: 18 [+4]
DEX: 16 [+3]
CON: 14 [+2]
INT: 10 [+0]
WIS: 16 [+3]
CHA: 09 [-1] [+1 Lvl 4]

Hit Points: 55
Armor Class: 22 (10 base + 3 Dex + 3 Wis + 6 Armor)
Initiative: +5 (+3 Dex +2 Quick to Act)
BAB: +4
- Melee: +9
- +1 Adamantine Scimitar +11 to hit 1d6 +9 (+4 Str, +1 Blade Meditation, +3 Insightful Strike +1 Magic) [18-20x2]

- Ranged: +7

Speed: 30'

FORT: +4 (2 Base +2 Con)
REFL: +8 (5 Base + 3 Dex)
WILL: +8 (5 Base + 3 Wis)

Abilities:
Human Bonus Feat
- 4 extra skill points at 1st level, +1 skill point per additional level
- Favored Class: Any
- Weapon Focus [Desert Wind]
- Insightful Strike [Desert Wind]
- +2 Quick to Act

Feats:
- Sudden Recovery
- Desert Fire
- Unnerving Calm
- Blade Meditation [Desert Wind]

Skills:
Skill Points at 1st Level: 28 ((6+0 INT) x 4) +35 Swordsage
- Balance (Dex) +12 (9 ranks)
- Concentration (Con) +11 (9 ranks)
- Knowledge (History) (Int) +9 (9 ranks)
- Knowledge (Nobility) (Int) +6 (6 ranks)
- Profession [Sailor] [Wis] +12 [9 ranks]
- Sense Motive (Wis) +6 (3 ranks)
- Tumble (Dex) +14 (9 ranks +2 Blade Meditation)

Manuevers: (6 Readied) [Initiator Level 6]
1st
- Burning Blade
- Blistering Flourish replaced
- Distracting Ember
- Sapphire Nightmare Blade
- Counter Charge replaced
- Shadow Blade Technique
2nd
- Fire Riposte
- Emerald Razor
- Drain Vitality
- Flashing Sun
3rd
- Death Mark
- Fan the Flames
- Zephyr Dance

Stances
- Island of Blades
- Step of the Wind
- Holocaust Cloak

Languages:
- Common, Ignan, Abyssal, Infernal

Equipment:
Melee weapons
- +1 Adamantine Scimitar 5,015 GP 4lbs.

Ranged weapons

Armor
- +1 Elven Chain 5,150 GP 20lbs.

Other equipment
- Belt of Hidden Pouches 5,000 GP

Total Encumberance: 24lbs. (light load)

Remaining money: 3,835 GP 0 SP 0 CP

Description
Farid's ruddy appearance belies his more refined nature. His strange, mismatched eyes force are a source of pride for all of House Hassan, and he keeps his long, flowing graying hair up in a long braid woven together with small kerchiefs embroidered with religious and philosphical sayings. Despite his small build and lithe appearance, Farid is built like a coiled snake and not a single ounce of him is wasted on anything as unnecessary as softness. Even the planes of his face are whiplike and angular, and he can often be seen stroking the long waxed points of his moustaches or goatee while pondering some calamity.

Personality
Farid is vain, prideful, somewhat socially unaware, a womanizer, a man of sometimes decadent pleasures, and has a tendency to be brutal in his honesty and critiques. He's also loyal, courageous, selfless in battle, and devoted to his causes. He can carry himself with the imperious, stand-offish demeanor that one expects of a prince, but he is also friendly and open when he allows himself to be. Always though, Farid is plotting his advantage, a failing that he notes and worries over to some extent, acknowledging that his attention to the demands of kingship and power might draw him away from a more appealing and enlightened path.

Background
Farid is a prince of the House of Hassan, one of the 13 hereditary ruling houses of the Southern Kingdoms. The House of Hassan holds no positions of true power anymore, instead having been pushed by failed alliances, unfavorable battles, shifting interests, and lack of male children into more of the role of a respected and valued noble merchant house. Still, the House Hassan commands respect and obediance in many places in the Southern Kingdoms and their wealth is as legendary as their supposed decadence.

Farid's life has been dictated by the concerns of his House and of his father. He was married at age 10 to a woman 10 years older than him, had his first born son at 14 and several since. His father called for a veritable army of tutors to his ship when Farid was younger, trying to teach the young man the skills of a merchant prince to no avail. Instead the young Farid skilled himself on walking the long ropes in the rigging, fighting pirates, and learning the whispers of the wind while steering vessels all across The Shallow Sea.

Eventually, his father determined that if he were to dream and act like the young bravo prince of legend that he must train as one as well. To that end the elder Anwar sent his son far to the north to train at the legendary Temple of Nine Swords, where he has spent the last 12 years mastering his forms and craft.

Armed with the knowledge and mastery of much of the legendary Desert Wind style, Farid was almost ready to end his time at the temple and seek out his home and his son, who is now nearly the age that Farid was when he was sent off to study at the Temple. Instead, he has discovered, he must take the time to act as a warrior prince now in fact, to save a kingdom, to unite an ancient knowledge lost, and protect the art of the Nine Swords.

***​

I have no clue what advantage Farid could have. Basically I read the stuff for Desert Wind and decided that I really wanted to something very Al Qadim with a character. Once I saw the black and white illustration by Steve Prescott (I think thats the correct signature), it was clear what flavor of scimitar wielder I'd have.

Attachments

• S_Prescott-Col-by-JMH.jpg
    S_Prescott-Col-by-JMH.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 61

Remove ads