• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

unnamed feat bonus...

bfreakb999

First Post
So i was browsing the phb2 again and i came across another feat that almost made my jaw drop...

Weapon Expertise

Benefit: Choose a weapon group. You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with any weapon power you use with a weapon from that group. The bonus increases to 2 at 15th level and +3 25th level.

Special: You can take this feat more than once. Each time you select this feat, choose another weapon group.

Now i know this is granted from a feat, and this is a 1 time bonus.... but it doesn't specify that this bonus is a feat bonus like other feats do. Does this mean this stacks with feats like nimble blade? Or dwarven weapon proficiency?

I dont really see this as broken.. but in my eyes it was already hard enough to kill PC before.. why are they making it so much easier for them to down enemies? (i.e.... forcing me to make it more challenging.) =P

BTW, there is another feat named Implement Expertise which has the exact same rules as the power obove, with the only difference is that in applies to implements.. (obviously).

Oompa

First Post
There is a thread around here somewhere were this all was already discussed..

The conclusion was:

- This is a stealth errata.
- Players at higher levels had trouble hitting things, so this helps out.

tiornys

Explorer
The feats stack with everything, and are probably meant to fix a flaw in the math underpinning the game.

A somewhat more thorough explanation: most people discussing the power have come to agreement with the following.
  • These two feats are extremely overpowered.
  • Character attack bonuses scale by 4 points fewer than monster defense bonuses from level 1 to level 30
  • These feats were printed despite being overpowered to compensate for that hit-rate gap
The primary point of disagreement is whether or not the hit-rate gap needs to be compensated for. Some believe that increased power selection and synergy makes up for the gap; others believe that the increased power is countered by the increased power of monster abilities, so the gap does need to be fixed.

Both sides generally agree that the feats are bad ideas. Those who believe the hit-rate gap does not need fixing think these feats should be banned. Those who support fixing the hit-rate gap generally agree that using a feat to fix it is extremely poor design, since doing so
  • taxes players by a feat
  • punishes classes and builds that use both weapons and implements
  • punishes builds that want to use multiple types of weapons or implements
  • and weakens powers that use neither weapons nor implements.

Numerous alternate methods for fixing the gap have been suggested. I favor granting PC's a +1 bonus to all attacks at level 5, increased to +2 at level 15, and to +3 at level 25, for free, and disallowing these feats.

The thread with all the detailed discussion (which is ongoing) can be found here.

t~

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads