• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Unnecessary monster appearance changes in 4e

DragonBelow

Adventurer
It's a really pathetic attempt to make people buy the upcoming reboot of the minis line.

Everybody always joked that WotC would change the scale or base shape of the miniatures, what we will get is just as bad, an unnecessary change made with the sole purpose of making you buy the new minis.

If you're about to say that the new dragon looks better, slap yourself in the face, as they have already accomplished what they wanted. On the other hand if you're about to say that nobody is forcing me to buy the new minis, that is not my point, my point is, 4e should be about significant improvements that make the game better, not an blatantly obvious up sell of game accessories.

Wormwood

Adventurer
DragonBelow said:
It's a really pathetic attempt to make people buy the upcoming reboot of the minis line.

The monster art from 2e to 3e was *remarkably* different, and there were no (WotC D&D) miniatures being sold at the time.

Anything else?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
DragonBelow said:
If you're about to say that the new dragon looks better, slap yourself in the face, as they have already accomplished what they wanted. On the other hand if you're about to say that nobody is forcing me to buy the new minis, that is not my point, my point is, 4e should be about significant improvements that make the game better, not an blatantly obvious up sell of game accessories.

How about if I say - wha?

Do people really feel restricted to use the "official minis" in their games?

I'm still using my mini collection that I've assembled over the years - my first figures from the old "Heroquest" board game, some random figures picked up from Warhammer products, a handful of old Ral Partha minis (though the scale is off on those), a lot of the older Reaper minis (from when I had time to paint), some D&D minis, some minis from the Heroscape line, and a few old Mage Knight minis.

I've never felt like I had to have a mini that looked exactly like the picture in the book so this idea surprises me - are there a lot of people who are going to think that their D&D minis collection is obsolete for roleplaying if the pictures look somewhat different in 4e? I'm not talking about things like "size changes" - I could see if, say, ogres became Huge instead of Large how that might impact things - I'm talking about the "look" of individual figures.

(And to add - the figures that get the most use in my games are STILL those old Heroquest figures. I have more orcs and goblins than I'll probably ever need because of those games, and at my last session I had to pull out a handfull of mummies to fight the PCs - and I used the Heroquest mummies to do it. Best investment of time and effort I ever had was sunk into painting up those plastic minis.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
DragonBelow said:

Everybody always joked that WotC would change the scale or base shape of the miniatures, what we will get is just as bad, an unnecessary change made with the sole purpose of making you buy the new minis.

I'm a little confused. Why shouldn't WotC try to sell accessories?

Fobok

First Post
The one and only time I ever used minis in a D&D game, I used Mage Knight figures. (Which were, at the time, quite popular and inexpensive.) I've personally never seen having it match official art as all that important... as who says in my setting, they look that way?

DragonBelow

Adventurer
Jer said:
How about if I say - wha?

Do people really feel restricted to use the "official minis" in their games?

Based on the statements of people that buy books published by WotC exclusively, I would bet some people do.

Also, I'm certain a lot of people is going to rush to buy the new dragon mini simply because it looks different.

hong

WotC's bitch
DragonBelow said:
Based on the statements of people that buy books published by WotC exclusively, I would bet some people do.

Also, I'm certain a lot of people is going to rush to buy the new dragon mini simply because it looks different.
Unless by "a lot of people" you really mean yourself, I'm not sure why you should be so concerned what other people do with their money.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Weird, my Reaper Minis look exactly like I want my monsters to look. The halflings even have hairy feet. The goblins ought to look like the Paizo goblins, though.

Remove ads