Planescape Unusual Planescape Ideas for 5E (Or Any E)

I'm looking for Planescape ideas outside the bounds of the setting as written.

As an example, I'm thinking of having the characters from the D&D cartoon, now grown, still trying to find their way home.

This also implies that Earth is real and somehow accessible from the Planes.

Though, one might arrive on Earth in any era...

Things like this, what have you got RPG.net? I want your ideas.

As an aside, the campaign I'm running is 5E.

ccs

41st lv DM
Well of course earth is a real place in D&D.
That's WHY the Forgotten Realms got that name. Once long ago the portals/routes between the Realms and Earth were known. Over time Earth lost that knowledge. Thus forgetting about the Realms.

For alternate planes I've always liked the idea of parralel world's - that use the rules of other editions.
So you can hop between 1e, 2e, 3x, 5e, OD&D, BECMI, and even (shudder) 4e.
Cross over into one of these & play your character under those rules....
Imagine a quest where you have to destroy an artifact by taking it back through time.
Start in 5e, go to PF, go to 4e, go to 3.5, go to 3.0, go to 2e, then 1e, then BECMI, then OD&D. And maybe all the way back to the original Chain mail game.

That's WHY the Forgotten Realms got that name. Once long ago the portals/routes between the Realms and Earth were known. Over time Earth lost that knowledge. Thus forgetting about the Realms.

For alternate planes I've always liked the idea of parralel world's - that use the rules of other editions.
Imagine a quest where you have to destroy an artifact by taking it back through time.
Start in 5e, go to PF, go to 4e, go to 3.5, go to 3.0, go to 2e, then 1e, then BECMI, then OD&D. And maybe all the way back to the original Chain mail game.

That's very cool. I like that. Thanks.

Vicaring

First Post

That is probably the single most unique campaign I've ever heard of. Oh, the ideas. And also, that DM would have to be a pretty good DM to not get rules crazy mixed up.

JohnLynch

Explorer
One of Pathfinder's APs establishes that Earth 1918 AD is roughly contemporaneous to Golarion 4713 AR (I say roughly because there is no canon as to when most of the Golarion AP's occur. I've selected 4713 AR because this was the "current" Golarion year when the AP was released). So if you wanted guidance as to what era Earth is currently in, if you go by Golarion it's early twentieth century.

The metafiction of the Forgotten Realms is that Elminster has told Ed Greenwood about the Realms and that what Ed is told then gets translated into D&D books. If you keep that fiction then you can only conclude that the current year between Earth and Toril must be at some point after 1490 DR as we know the state of the Realms for this time period. Therefore if you want the current era of the Forgotten Realms to lineup with the current era of Golarion and the early twentieth century of Earth than you can easily do that as well.

Remove ads