• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Up sizing the d10 and d12?

Drakeskull

First Post
Ok It seems kinda weird but in the end the D10 and D12 or 2D6 have the same max damage. Is there an errata for this or is it just the way it is? the d10 ends up 6d8 where the d12 and 2d6 end up 8d6.

Drakeskull

First Post
oops sorry lol When you advance it by size. I guess that might have helped. After 4 advances they end up being pretty much the same as far as damage goes. Like lets say a basterd sword for a colossal charicter would do 6d8 and a great sword would do 8d6.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I'm assuming you're calculating a 1d10 and a 1d12 weapon to Colossal size.

I guess at that point it doesn't matter too much. The 6d8 weapon will do 28 damage average and the 8d6 weapon will do 27 damage average. Which means that they are reversed in effectiveness. Oops. :)

EDIT: Yatta! I guessed right.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Drakeskull said:
oops sorry lol When you advance it by size. I guess that might have helped. After 4 advances they end up being pretty much the same as far as damage goes. Like lets say a basterd sword for a colossal charicter would do 6d8 and a great sword would do 8d6.

The greatsword has an average damage of 28, and the bastard sword has an average damage of 27. The greatsword has a minimum damage of 8, and the bastard sword has a minimum damage of 6.

Maximum damage isn't the only way to compare those two numbers :)

(And you don't even need to go to Colossal to encounter this. At Huge, they do 4d6 and 3d8 respectively... the average damages are even closer, 14 vs 13.5...)

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Drakeskull

First Post
Just a chaotic way of thinking but.......

Its just a chaotic way of thinking but would the basterd sword have a better odds at rolling max damage? Kinda like a great axe is fully chaotic and has a 1 in 12 chance of rolling max at medium size where a greatsword has a 1 in 36 chance. (is that the right figure on the greatsword?)

Bront

The man with the probe
Drakeskull said:
Its just a chaotic way of thinking but would the basterd sword have a better odds at rolling max damage? Kinda like a great axe is fully chaotic and has a 1 in 12 chance of rolling max at medium size where a greatsword has a 1 in 36 chance. (is that the right figure on the greatsword?)

Yes, but it also has better odds at rolling min damage.

Jack Simth

First Post
Well, let's see... for max:
6d8 must roll 6 8's; probability (1/8)^6=1/262144
8d6 must roll 8 6's; probability (1/6)^8=1/1679616

Relative probability of Max (6d8/8d6): 6.4072265625

In other words, you are nearly 6 and a half times more likely to roll max on 6d8 than you are on 8d6. Of course, the 8d6 will average more....

Remove ads