• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Upcoming Changes to D&D Minis Line

pawsplay

Hero
Non-random, cheap, prepainted does not exist. Sorry, it just isn't going to happen. If it could, someone would be succeeding at it. Reaper couldn't even come close to turning out the pre-painted minis in any number at all.

$3.99, for 1 pre-painted mini? They'd have to sell waaaaaaaay more copies of that than could possibly sell to make money.

You can have random, or you can have cheap "army men" quality, or you can pay a lot more....those appear to be our choices given the technology we have today.

Ultimately, I ended up buying a few boosters, selling the ones I hated, then buying rest as singles on ebay or from specialty web sites. So I did end up paying more. If they would turn out high quality products, I'd buy them. As it is, randomized is almost never a good deal, because I don't need another 100+ figures every time a set comes out.

Reaper's prepaint line has actually worked out pretty well. Because of the production cost versus potential market issues, they've had to go with a slow production schedule, but that is not to say it doesn't work. Reaper is a small company, and metal unpainted minis are more profitable.

EDIT: Plus, the Reaper minis look good.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Non-random, cheap, prepainted does not exist. Sorry, it just isn't going to happen. If it could, someone would be succeeding at it. Reaper couldn't even come close to turning out the pre-painted minis in any number at all.

$3.99, for 1 pre-painted mini? They'd have to sell waaaaaaaay more copies of that than could possibly sell to make money.

You can have random, or you can have cheap "army men" quality, or you can pay a lot more....those appear to be our choices given the technology we have today.

That's just what they want you to believe but it is certainly possible, particularly with pre-existing molds. Think: Toob.

Stormonu

Legend
Ah yes, the old miniature as a dying market for a dying niche versus actually putting it on the same pedestal as say a toy?

If only WoTC had some sort of inside connection to those venues...

Y'know, as I stop and think about it, my kids play more with my plastic minis than I generally use them in games. They're pretty tough, so I'm not worried they'll get broken like my metal minis. It wouldn't be that bad if they actually started marketing them to appeal to kids, as toys. I'm glad they finally thought to combine heroscape and minis, but its only taken them what - ten years to decide to combine the two lines? I think the heroscape fervor has died down considerably nowadays, unfortunately.

Back on the side of the minis, if WotC wants me to start buying minis again, the big thing for me is both quality and the random factor. If the quality is good, I'm more willing to buy at a higher price point. At the same time, I've got enough minis that random doesn't cut it any more. I'm looking for specific creatures these days and have no more need for random "junk". The last few boosters of minis I bought were only because of the visible mini, and I felt the quality on them was worth bringing them home (though the remoraz turned out to be slightly disappointing, compared to the ol' 2E mini I have).

Paradox

First Post
Can't agree more.

I've never understood why WotC/TSR never made a set of miniatures specifically for an adventure, or authors writing adventures that actually use the minis that are in production or have already been produced (thereby generating demand for them - WOW! What a concept!).

They did. It was called War of the Spider Queen.

JoeGKushner

First Post
They did. It was called War of the Spider Queen.

Interesting counter. In a discussion about, unless I'm missing my guess here, miniatures that are painted and plastic, bringing up one boxed set of DROW for War of the Spider Queen mega adventure.

I have that adventure. It requires... substantially more than what's in that boxed set. ;)

Glyfair

Explorer
Interesting counter. In a discussion about, unless I'm missing my guess here, miniatures that are painted and plastic, bringing up one boxed set of DROW for War of the Spider Queen mega adventure.

I have that adventure. It requires... substantially more than what's in that boxed set. ;)
I seriously doubt that a set with a complete monster roster for an adventure would sell at the price point point needed to make sufficient profit to be worthwhile. Unless the adventure is specifically designed to only use a handful of miniatures, anyway (128 pages of goblins and orcs all in one neat package with a bonus dragon for the final encounter!).

I imagine a short "Sunless Citadel" type adventure would hit about the $50 range, and something large like Revenge of the Giants would be well over $100!

What might be possible would be a set with the "personalities" from an adventure (Meepo, Lareth the Beautiful, King Snurre, for some examples from the past) to start. Then mix in the unique monsters and the rare/expensive miniatures. If there is some room, then include perhaps a squad of grunts that are common throughout the adventure. That might be workable.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads