UPDATE: Hasbro files lawsuit - Warner Bros. to make a D&D Movie. AICN

darjr

I crit!
Ha! Looks like someone originally got the license for a 'Chainmail' movie! That's genius. Make a 'D&D' movie using material from Gygax without having to deal with the folks that have the D&D license? Yea.

But it looks like they now have the D&D license. Fingers crossed.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Written by the writer of Wrath of the Titans and Red Riding Hood? Produced by the director of the 2000 D&D movie? Maybe it's a late April Fool's joke.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Written by the writer of Wrath of the Titans and Red Riding Hood? Produced by the director of the 2000 D&D movie? Maybe it's a late April Fool's joke.

Dude that's my thought.

As long as there's a raise dead scene with the party pawning gear to afford it. And a halfling joke, gotta have a halfling joke.

Empirate

First Post
I'm expecting lots of showy flashy bang-bang, and exactly none of the things that make D&D great. Namely, unearthly worlds, imaginative stories, character interaction, character development, atmosphere, surprise twists, unexpected results to unlikely actions, and the sheer suspense of the unknown.

Among a million other things which can't possibly be put in a movie, but that's a question of medium, not of bad execution: like the whole thing being a social experience, not a purely audiovisual feed; the whole thing not being just one story set in just one world, but a myriad of stories playing out in a myriad of worlds over time; the whole thing being an emergent construction in which I take an active part, as opposed to passively consuming another guy's work of imagination. So in these fields, I can only give the finger to Warner Bros. for trying at all, not for botching the job. Although they'll probably do that, too.

Sigh.

delericho

Legend
Under the circumstances, this is probably the second-best thing that could have happened on the D&D movie front (the best being if WotC were to buy out Courtney Solomon and get the rights back). I'm sure that whatever they come up with can't possibly be worse than "Book of Vile Darkness" (although I did enjoy the bit where the knight swore an oath of chastity, just like his father before him).

Pour

First Post
Exposure is exposure. And kids judge things way differently than you or I, largely on the spectacle and cool factor. This might do more for Next than any playtest or fan placation. I agree, though, also give us a good cartoon.

pemerton

Legend
One thing I'm curious about is whether it will be sword-and-sorcery, mercenary-style D&D in the dungeoncrawling style, or high fantasy epic quest D&D in the Dragonlance style.

Also, will they find a way to make slightly silly D&D tropes, like some of the monster and the spells, into viable elements of a movie? I think the high point for this sort of achievement is the X-Men movie, which did this with mutants in general, and also with the Mansion, the Blackbird, Cerebro etc. The Avengers movie also did a reasonable job of making the SHIELD Helicarrier plausible. Can the same be done for beholders, gelatinous cubes and prismatic spheres?

Remove ads