• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Update: Malhavoc PDFs no longer available at RPGnow (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_Danger

First Post
BrooklynKnight said:
Why did you have to pay a dollar?

I'll definatly give them a try to get BOEM if its 3.5.

That's what the price came up as when I added it to the basket. It's listed that way in the catalog too.

I didn't feel like messing with it more tonight as to the why, so I canceled the order and closed it down.

I'll check again tomorrow and see if it was a glitch or if there is a min charge for free items.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Nick_Danger said:
That's what the price came up as when I added it to the basket. It's listed that way in the catalog too.

I didn't feel like messing with it more tonight as to the why, so I canceled the order and closed it down.

I'll check again tomorrow and see if it was a glitch or if there is a min charge for free items.
Maybe you have the wrong item? :) I just clicked on it off the front page and it downloaded straight into my reader.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, folks ... I'm sensing some combativeness here towards Malhavoc, White Wolf and Drivethrurpg.

I'm certainly not going to tell you where to spend your money (
over at RPGNow on EN Publishing products!
), but I'd like to caution people that they undoubtedly don't know the full story behind Malhavoc's (and FDP's, Necromancer and S&SS') decisions. We do know that they are all current or ex-members of White Wolf's S&SS umbrella, so there may be some contractual obligations we're all unware of. There may be a million other reasons why these companies are available exclusively at this new site.

So, of course, spend your money where you feel it is best spent, and for whatever reasons you like. But I feel that the resentment towards those involved is somewhat unwarranted - I can pretty much guarantee they aren't trying to alienate you!

Nick_Danger said:

It's a glitch. I've contacted them about it. If you click on the link on their front page, you download it immediately, for free. If you go to our catalog, it's a dollar. Somebody miskeyed, I suppose. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nick_Danger

First Post
d20Dwarf said:
Maybe you have the wrong item? :) I just clicked on it off the front page and it downloaded straight into my reader.

Could be. I'm on the downside of caffeine and heading for bed, so mistakes can and do happen.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Right, lets not jump to any conclusions. As ya can see, i'm asking questions to get all the info. Malhavoc has always been good to us.

Morrus, you're about to have your 7000th post! How do you feel?!

Dark Psion said:
For a lot of us RPGNow! is our Friendly Local Gameshop and these tactics by Malhavoc and White Wolf seem to be designed to put them out of business.

I know RPGNow!, When I have had problems, I got great customer service from them. To drop them would be a dis-service as a customer and lousy way to repay them.

I don't know this company and especially don't like these bully tactics. It's like saying this book is only available from Wal Mart and we won't let your local hobby shop sell it.

If Malhavoc doesn't want me as a customer, then so be it.

Well I was referring to two statements made by others previously:

1) The items cost as much as retail. (Though I now see that they might have figured on-line store pricing which can be cheaper than retail) At any rate, the prices are not as expensive as retail. They may be comparable to on-line sources, but then I would still have to (a) wait until the on-line source got the book to me by mail and (b) would require that I buy numerous books because they have a minimum order amount before free shipping kicks in.

2) The site doesn't have the capability to upload images, even with a cable connection. I was easily able to upload all of the images with a 56K connection. Though it isn't a rocket fast connection, it wouldn't be anything that would deter me from buying an item from the site.

As for having loyalty to a supplier, I can respect that. However, such loyalty shouldn't require that a new supplier's reputation should be adversely impacted. As for running them out of business, the RPGNow thread noted that the total amount of sales affected is less than 5%, so I don't see how it is going to happen. Companies select new distributors every day. It's called change and it is a part of life.

derverdammte

Explorer
I've always hated RPGNow, so if the new site isn't a tremendous inconvenience (and the DRM files don't present problems), I don't really care where I'm going, as long as it isn't RPGNow.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
While I've never been fond of RPGNow, and favor competition, having White Wolf barge in, and have exclusive contracts, well, that seems a bit uncompetitive. I favor fair competition. White Wolf has far more money and contacts in the industry than RPGNow, so they have an unfair advantage. Hopefully SJG will get their online store online soon, to get them some competition.

I'm afraid RPGNow will likely be relegated to indy/amateur RPGs from now on.

Anyway, companies aren't trying to alienate anyone - it's just they simply don't care one way or the other. They just want your money. Duh. Presumably White Wolf and it's employees/subsidaries feel that their own online store with DRM will make more money for them than any other way.

johnsemlak

First Post
I just downloaded the free Malhavoc Product from Drive Thru RPG (Narrog hte Earth Serpent) and I've got it on my computer after minor hassle. I ahvne't tried to copy it yet, but as I understand I can do so.

The main problem I had is that when I tried to activate my DRM account the site said It failed to detect Adobe Reader 6.0 on my computer, but it is. Luckily, there's a 'Go ahead and activate anyway' link, and everything went fine.

One question, if I triy to read a DRM document with Adobe Reader 5.0, what happens (I have both versions installed on my computer)?

Cutting and pasting text is limited (I can do so 10 times over ten days, as mentioned elsewhere). That's frustrating. I hope publishers are able to get the site to relax this feature.\

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads