• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Update: Malhavoc PDFs no longer available at RPGnow (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

derverdammte

Explorer
DanMcS said:
Yes they are. You have to authenticate yourself through a couple third parties to read a book which you have paid for and which resides on your PC. The default assumption is that you are a criminal who has this file illegally on your computer, and do not have permission to read it, until you prove otherwise.
My, what an interesting point.

I did see that there are a couple of ways to crack DRM-enabled PDF files, so I'm not really sure what the point of that is. However, I'd be happy to give them a go, provided THE GODDAMNED SITE WOULD LOAD ALREADY.

johnsemlak

First Post
BryonD said:
Bad analogy.

Video cameras have no negative impact on the utility of the merchandise.
No, it's not a bad analogy. I concede(d) that there are limitations to the format. But the line 'they're treating me like a criminal' is over-the-top.

DanMcS

Explorer
johnsemlak said:
Gimme a break.

So a store with videocameras and other security is also treating all its customers like potential criminals?

The grocery store would have to put the video cameras in my kitchen, and put little driver's license swipers on the food, for this analogy to hold.

3catcircus

Adventurer
johnsemlak said:
Gimme a break.

So a store with videocameras and other security is also treating all its customers like potential criminals?

Uh... yeah. They videotape people because they *assume* that any one of them is a potential shoplifter. They prevent people from taking more than x number of clothing items into a dressing room to prevent them from putting multiple layers of clothes on under their street clothes and stealing them. They ensure that if employees try to skim from the till, they will get caught.

derverdammte

Explorer
johnsemlak said:
Gimme a break.

What are you talking about? That has nothing to do with what he's saying. A more accurate comparison would be a store that forces customers who are walking out the door to not only display a receipt and allow their merchandise to be inspected (a la Best Buy, which I'll say already treats their customers poorly), but also REQUIRES you to submit to a search of your person, just to prove that you're not concealing any merchandise in, say, your underwear.

johnsemlak said:
Gimme a break.

Well, whenever I see these videocameras or security guys, or policemen in uniform (despite my father being an police officer), I somehow feel like criminal, or at least a potential one. I can`t help it, there is no sensible reason for it, but I don`t like it. And if I don`t feel like a potential criminal, I at least don`t feel any safer. (Why are they here? Because there are criminals around?)

Well, this aside, my main problem with these online pdf-buying services: They always want my credit card number. But I don´t have one. And I don`t plan on getting one. So I always have to wait until Malhavoc or other distributores create print copies I can get at an (preferably online) store in Germany. (Like Dragonworld.com, or possibly amazon.de)

Still, I tested the whole DRM thing with the free copy of the AU Dragon. So far, it worked well, though I hated having to create all these accounts, especially at M$. I still have to test how easy it is to transfer the file to my notebook.

Mustrum Ridcully

Henry

Autoexreginated
johnsemlak said:

Actually, yes; it's just that society is more understanding of it. :) There was a big "to-do" about that concept when it was new about 30 years ago, also.

johnsemlak

First Post
derverdammte said:
What are you talking about? That has nothing to do with what he's saying. A more accurate comparison would be a store that forces customers who are walking out the door to not only display a receipt and allow their merchandise to be inspected (a la Best Buy, which I'll say already treats their customers poorly), but also REQUIRES you to submit to a search of your person, just to prove that you're not concealing any merchandise in, say, your underwear.
Aw, come on, it's a few clicks of a mouse. I've done it. It took me minutes, and I'm on a slow connection. To call that being 'treated like a criminal', or to compare it to submiting to a body search is rediculous

Henry

Autoexreginated
johnsemlak said:
Aw, come on, it's a few clicks of a mouse. I've done it. It took me minutes, and I'm on a slow connection. To call that being 'treated like a criminal', or to compare it to submiting to a body search is rediculous

I will concede one point on this to opponents, John: for DRM to require any insertions of additional aoftware on the system to allow use is a security concern. WinXP already has enough holes large enough to drive a semi through without patching; one more potential security hole by means of a DRM account with .NET or Adobe would be of sufficient concern to some people.

isidorus

Explorer
Supporter
I still think day one of the bigger companies is going to do a RIAA sue scheme, especially from the bigger companies Wotc or WW. Especially in america, where the DMCA has taken fair use rights and thrown them in the trashcan.

What get me about this whole mess, is the average consumer is treated like a pirate, thief, copyright infringer, etc. I Hate being treated like a thief

I am going to make a list for myself for every company that uses DRM on PDFs. An I will take it with me I shop at my Local FLGS, Bookstore etc. and if they are on that list I will refuse to buy their paper product. I know this harsh but I cannot pay for this by buying their paper books.Same thing I did when the RIAA went this way, Have not bought a cd in 5 years.

FYI: MY Roleplaying is pretty angry about this whole debacle

Sigh! Oh Well a Wod 2 just went off my buying list and any of Monte's work.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads