• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Update: Malhavoc PDFs no longer available at RPGnow (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

derverdammte

Explorer
UPDATE!

I finally got into the site and downloaded the freebie file for Malhavoc. I especially enjoyed the way it made my Acrobat Reader completely unresponsive for the past 10 minutes.

A+++ would download again*

*I'm not impressed.

Last edited:

Sir Whiskers

First Post
WizarDru said:
I'm not disagreeing with you, but could you clarify this point? I don't think I'm following you, here. How do copyrights, in general, foster innnovation? Are you saying that, by preventing blantant plagarism, copyright law forces artists to create less derivative works? As a side to that, do you feel there should be no professional artists, or are you just saying that the law was not intended to get involved in the process of income at all?

IIRC, copyright law provides artists the *opportunity* to make money off their creations for a fixed period of time (in the US originally 17 years?? - now much, much longer). Whether or not the original artist makes a dime, the work is intended (in theory) to eventually enter the public domain so that others may indeed create derivative works, fostering innovation. Eternal copyrights (something many corporations would dearly love) actually reduce innovation - if they had always existed, no one could do a variant of Shakespeare's plays, no one could use Yankee Doodle in a performance or novel, etc.

It's a balancing act. Copyrights have to last long enough to allow artists to make a fair return on their work, or many artists will never bother. But if the copyright remains in effect too long, then innovation is stifled. It's a very interesting debate, but kind of difficult to keep up with, given the constant changes in both law and technology.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
BelenUmeria said:
No pitchforks, just simple reality, I will not buy a product that restricts my right to use it. Nor will I just hand over information to Microsoft, Adobe or WW so that they can search my computer to make sure I am a good boy.

I have never stolen anything in my entire life. I do not feel like spending my money on a product, yet still be treated as a criminal.
I understand your sentiment: I won't be buying any of these products either in their current format. What I am saying is its unlikely that Monte and the S&S folks are trying to do that deliberately. This is an experiment, and I believe it is one that is ultimately destined to fail. Now Monte is one of the folks most heavily invested in PDFs in the RPG industry. He's a good guy from my experiences, and also a smart one. If and when people don't buy product in the numbers he expects to see, I can't imagine he will not make changes. In fact, he's talked about that already. All I can say is a person with a good reputation should be given a little bit more than 24 hours to before we storm castle Cook. :)

For me the issues with a PDF are: portablilty, searching, copying and pasting and cost. This new service offers me no advantages in any of these areas, other than the ability to buy the product in the first place, so unless it is something that I can't live without (and with RPGs, there aren't any products like that) I don't see any reason to go with the new company.

BryonD

Hero
johnsemlak said:
Aw, come on, it's a few clicks of a mouse. I've done it. It took me minutes, and I'm on a slow connection. To call that being 'treated like a criminal', or to compare it to submiting to a body search is rediculous

just a few clicks....

and the associated user data that those clicks send, an electronic body search

Plus, it is more than just a few clicks. As I pointed out before and you were forced to ignore, the utility of the product IS reduced. I will have limitations on back-ups, cut and paste, and mobility, among other things.

The store stops filming me the moment I walk out the door.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Bradford:

I'm not taking credit AT ALL for companies starting to sell PDFs online who hadn't previously (Mongoose), but shortly after my Interview with Chris Davis of RPG Objects, we saw Mongoose offer its first PDFs on RPGNow.com along with Bastion offering Oathbound: Domains of the Forge for PDF download.

I think you are seriously mistaken about the PDF timeline. Mongoose has been e-publishing PDF products through RPGnow as long as I have - I got in at the end of 2001. If an article in 2004 started them on this path, then it was through the magic of time-travel.

As for Bastion Press, Jim has been releasing product on RPGnow for a while longer than I have.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
SteveC said:
This is an experiment, and I believe it is one that is ultimately destined to fail.
I agree. It will eventually fail. However, in the meantime, there really is no risk to the publishers who were previously print-only, except for a relatively small amount of ill will from those who know this isn't the answer to piracy. (Well, if it is the answer, it was a pretty stupid question.)

While this may be an experiment for the RPG industry, DRM has been around long enough for people to gauge it's appropriateness for an application. This isn't it.

tm80401

First Post
As I, like a previous poster, use Linux on the laptop that I use for gaming.

Until someone comes up with either a product that supports standards driven DRM, or, frankly, ignores the DRM and displays the product anyway, DRM corrupted PDF's have no value to me.

BTW, the only study of filesharing done by someone other than the RIAA has concluded that filesharing has no statistical impact on sales.

If you want, I will try to dig it up.

Sylevus

First Post
Treated like a thief?

I am really curious about this comment. On one hand you say you have to have the portability of the pdf, i.e. the main tool that allows the thief to freely and widely disseminate someone else's labor, and on the other you do not want to be treated like a thief.

Isnt this an attempt to sell you an electronic copy of the book that will be yours, not be "easily" shareable, and hence less likely to be used to pirate the product? I think that moving to try and fight this kind of trusted relationship is what the publisher and the consumer want if they want electronic media and mutual trust.

Yet all we hear are.. don't treat me like a thief. I NEED portable. And the fun one... They are just trying to gouge us.

Digital theft is a problem. Yet all we hear are excuses that encourage and enable theft. I would be much more respectful of other opinions if I heard admonition of the pirates that goes beyond 'wink, wink'.

These companies are wanting to try something different, and I hope it works for them. Especially in terms of cutting down on the piracy of their products. Go to rpg.net and look up lamest gamer threads instead of DRM. Plenty of examples of how little people respect game producers.

I have enjoyed the hobby for twenty years and I for one would like twenty more QUALITY years, where publishers are willing and able to continue to publish without the fear of a digital camera spreading their product worldwide the day after its published. And unfortunately that fix does not lie in the publishers hands. It lies in our hands when we chose to take and have no respect to return what the creator deserves.

The Mad Kaiser

First Post
johnsemlak said:
Gimme a break.
So a store with videocameras and other security is also treating all its customers like potential criminals?

Does the store follow you home and tell you how many times you can open your carton of milk? Or how many glasses you can pour it into? Is there a fair-use agreement on your box of raisin bran?

The issue is: can the publisher tell you what you can or cannot do with your purchase in your own home? The fact that they use your own computer to force their will upon you, is repugnant. The copyright was invented to protect publishers from other publishers, not to dictate the actions of the free public. When you trade your work for $$$, you no longer have a say over the work, unless someone tries to re-market it. If you don't want people to share your precious work, don't share it yourself.

Publishers making money from your work is devious, and a true abuse of copyright. Chubby fanboys trading pdfs at 2am is penny-ante at best.

Go to your FLGS tonight, and watch the owner play a game of D&D or Warhammer. One of his buddies will walk over to the rack, grab a book off the shelf, read it, show it around, then put it back without paying. *GASP* Copyright violation!

Would you close down libraries that have rpg books? Should magazine racks have a rack-lawyer ready to file suit against those who read Dungeon or Dragon without paying? Perhaps a government bureaucrat assigned to each nerd to insure proper computer-use? How about chips in everyone's heads that delete copyrighted knowledge after 30 days?

Yes, they are treating us like potential criminals; because you using something you bought, how you wish to use it, is a crime in the minds of greedy control-freaks.

And for the record; my sales are doing better every day. Maybe their sales aren't down because of piracy... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads