• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Update: Malhavoc PDFs no longer available at RPGnow (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
BrooklynKnight said:
Frankly, I'm glad that RPGnow didnt sell. Otherwise we'de be stuck with ALL pdf's being PITA!

Let me Echo that:
Frankly, I'm glad that RPGnow didnt sell. Otherwise we'de be stuck with ALL pdf's being PITA!

Estlor

Explorer
We're dealing with two decidedly different issues here; one is a good thing, the other is a potentially bad thing.

I'm no fan of DRM. I understand the philosophy behind it and cannot say a desire to protect oneself from piracy isn't within the expected rights of the publishing company. However, in most cases, their "protection" only serves to cripple law-abiding consumers. It's the same case as gun control. Preventing law-abiding individuals from legally obtaining and owning a firearm doesn't decrease gun violence, as individuals who will use their firearm in an unlawful manner would not purchase it through lawful avenues. In this case, you're making PDF consumers own certain software, give up certain information that (most feel) is a violation of their privacy, and restrict their "fair use" of something they have paid for. At the same time, anyone who cares enough to take the time to pirate a PDF will take the time to track down a DRM crack and apply it. The core issue behind DRM and other forms of copy protection is it usually only serves to punish the people you want to nurture.

However, Drivethrurpg.com has the potential to start a trend that is a blessing for the RPG industry. If publishers make their back catalog available in PDF form, it permits them to continue to siphon a small amount of money out of the market long after their product is "out of print." Beyond the initial cost of producing the PDF (which, considering most publishers develop their products in Acrobat-friendly applications, is negligible after a print product is developed), all the costs are on the distributer's hands. The publisher doesn't have to worry about print runs, physical product storage, or any sort of expected monthly sales quotas.

I was a big fan of the ESD movement in WotC and patronized them many times over in completing my back collection of OD&D products. I think low price point out of print material easily obtained as a PDF is a good thing. Hopefully when the use of DRM stops (and it will), these publishers will continue to release more of their out of print back catalog as inexpensive PDFs.

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
The Sigil said:
Nope. He lives in Canada, according to his profile. DMCA doesn't apply there, just in the US. In fact, Canada has a considerably different view of what constitutes piracy (last I checked, both uploads and downloads on P2P networks, such as Kazaa, had been ruled legal by Canadian judges).

--The Sigil
Not to mention that breaking the copy-protection isn't a violation of the DMCA - sharing that broken file would be.

That's why sites that contain software cracks are not shut down by the government. The smart ones state that you must agree to use the cracks on products you legally purchased, and that you aren't allowed to share any software that you have cracked.

It's subtle - but legal.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Estlor said:
However, Drivethrurpg.com has the potential to start a trend that is a blessing for the RPG industry. If publishers make their back catalog available in PDF form, it permits them to continue to siphon a small amount of money out of the market long after their product is "out of print." Beyond the initial cost of producing the PDF (which, considering most publishers develop their products in Acrobat-friendly applications, is negligible after a print product is developed), all the costs are on the distributer's hands. The publisher doesn't have to worry about print runs, physical product storage, or any sort of expected monthly sales quotas.
This differentiates them from RPGNow how?

HellHound said:
I think you are seriously mistaken about the PDF timeline. Mongoose has been e-publishing PDF products through RPGnow as long as I have - I got in at the end of 2001. If an article in 2004 started them on this path, then it was through the magic of time-travel.

As for Bastion Press, Jim has been releasing product on RPGnow for a while longer than I have.

Yes, but I stated that Mongoose is now releasing PDFs and Bastion released Oathbound: Domains of the Forge. There's a BIG difference between what Bastion had been releasing as PDF compared to releasing a 320-page full-color, hard cover book as a PDF. That's why I said Oathbound specifically. To me, it indicates a possible shift in strategy to either test the market or to get people to buy the supporting products of Oathbound. It's possible that my phone interview had nothing to do with some companies' moves to PDF and that it's just synergy in the industry (which I also acknowledge, or meant to).

Ahh such is the fun of trying to communicate through text. :\

Last edited:

Sir Whiskers

First Post
/Off Topic/

Mad Kaiser, I took a look at the demo on RPGNow and have a suggestion.

While the material presented is compelling, I was hoping you would completely flesh out the location with interesting npc's and maybe a plot hook or two. I don't need a pdf full of new mundane items so much as complete locations which mix npc's, items, atmosphere, and so on to make a memorable encounter for my players. If you can do that in your future products, I guarantee I'll give them a try. Shoot, I might even write my first review.

The Mad Kaiser

First Post
Sir Whiskers said:
/Off Topic/

Mad Kaiser, I took a look at the demo on RPGNow and have a suggestion.

While the material presented is compelling, I was hoping you would completely flesh out the location with interesting npc's and maybe a plot hook or two. I don't need a pdf full of new mundane items so much as complete locations which mix npc's, items, atmosphere, and so on to make a memorable encounter for my players. If you can do that in your future products, I guarantee I'll give them a try. Shoot, I might even write my first review.

/Still Off Topic/

I think you are talking about the Kaiser's Bazaar line? I will assume so.

I admit that the demo is a bit poor from your viewpoint, it is meant to attract DM's that are looking for "big organized lists of stuff". My main focus is to provide a healthy booster the the anemic item lists in the PHB. But if you feel you need more "flavor", here is a snippet from Kaiser's Bazaar - Book A at no charge to show there is more to the books than just 'huge lists':

RED-STARLIGHT FINEST-BREWS
(ELVEN BEER)

You thought you'd never see it, but here stands a tent that sells elven beer. The tent is average-sized, made of red and white fabric, located at the edge of the brewers market. A hand-painted fabric sign of almost royal quality displays the name of the business in both common and elven languages. Instead of the usual towering stacks of barrels this market boasts, this tent looks more like a wine cellar. Racks of bottles dominate the tent, with only a few corked pin-casks being the exception.

The elf smirks when he sees your look of curiosity, and offers you a thin wine glass of sparkling amber beer.

One of the more unusual merchants in town is the beer-brewing elf, Erbantas Fella'Pyesia. Most everyone assumes that elves have little desire to make or drink beer, and for the most part, this is true. About two-hundred and sixty years ago, Erbantas chanced into the business through family relations, although he would not realize it for a while;

When Erbantas was just a lad of only 30 years, his older sister Bailine married a human brewer named Wutger Red and bore him a son named Perry Red. After Perry Red married a human girl he had purchased from an orphanage, to him was born Dorry Red, later called Dirty Dorry by those who knew him. Dorry's first wife bore him 12 daughters of grace and charm, 'though despite their elven heritage, not much beauty. His second wife, a mere girl of fifteen (while he was in his late forties!) bore a son he named Wutger after his grandfather.

Wutger's wife bore twin sons, Hergle and Wutger Jr. Being the oldest twin by seven counts of the midwife, Hergle inherited the brewery, and promptly ran it into the ground. He sold the property to Wutger Jr., who did his best to revive the business. He was unable to revive the company completely, but left his son with a respectable start and enough silver to invest. Wutger Red the 3rd did a decent job with the company, hiring several of his illegitimate cousins from his uncle's side.

It then became a solid family tradition for the oldest male of each generation to be named Wutger Red and this son would inherit the company. This continued on quietly for four more generations, landing unexpectedly in the lap of Wutger Red the 7th during his 26th year.

Wutger VII was surprised one day, not long after, as a young-looking elf came wandering into his workhouse and inquired about a elf named Bailine, claiming he was her brother. Wutger was sad to explain that Bailine had died of an illness during the life of Wutger the Second, but he didn't know if her family had been notified so long ago. He was however glad to meet his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-granduncle and invited him to stay with the family and share his knowledge of the family history. During this time, Erbantas learned the craft of brewing beer from his great grand-nephew, and found he enjoyed the business and his new mostly-human family greatly. Erbantas began brewing the sort of beer you'd expect from a beer-brewing elf; light, fruity, clear, fragrant, and complex. His beers are also bottled like sparkling wines, stored in dark glass bottles with wired corks. These beers are by no means huge sellers, but Erbantas makes a good living selling to upscale inns and to those curious to sample elven beer. He hires many of his nephew's kin to work the vats and deliver the goods of the growing company. Because of his closeness with the Red family, he has since added the family name to his own and uses a modification of the Red family crest as his label.

If you want the list of elven beers, the Marionette Opera, Dragoman Zheigis, the Tiavesi Family Banking House, and the other interesting merchants, you'll need the books :D But seriously, read some of the reviews; Several of my more british customers have praised the "flavour" the books have added to their game. Two customers even lament that they can't get players to leave the Bazaar to play 'real' adventures!

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
This reminds me of the debates a Christian friend of mine and pagan friend of mine had. Both we're so damn sure they were right, no one listened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads