• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Update: Malhavoc PDFs no longer available at RPGnow (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

derverdammte

Explorer
tm80401 said:
So, basically, everyone goes to bugmenot, gets the address listed there, uses it, and can access every file available.

cool.
It doesn't list paid accounts. Mainly it's for annoying newspapers like LA Times and NY Times, where registration is required before you can read any of the articles. You go to bugmenot.com, enter the site URL, then use the login provided, and gain access to the articles. I was responding specifically to the "many newspapers require registration" comment.

tm80401

First Post
Essentially, DRM assumes you want to do something illegal with the product and must be stopped.

It's kind of like putting a speed governor in your car, so you can't go over the limit the company wants you to.

Or installing a breathalyzer in every new vehicle, because drunk driving is illegal.

tm80401

First Post
Well...I have made my decison. I wll not purchase any product with DRM in it. Period.

If anyone talks to me about it, I will try to talk them into not purchasing such a product.

I am leaning toward not purchasing even print products from companies that sell PDF copies with DRM and encouraging my friends to do the same, because the companies are considering us to be criminals as a default.

But I'm kind of extreme that way.

Berandor

lunatic
Funksaw said:
Car Salesman: Well, here's how it works. We deliver it to your place, and if you want to drive, all you have to do is get an Austin cop to come over, unlock it. You can drive it on ten highways over ten days, then the cop comes and locks it up again.

Again, that is simply a very bad analogy. Beginning with the fact that the "cop" only checks once; after checking whether I'm allowed to "drive", I am allowed henceforth.

Try it another way:

You buy Dungeon Magazine. However, Dungeon Magazine is only sold to D&D DMs. So you have to register at the International Dungeon Master's Lodge (IDuMaL) in Muncie, Ind. Registration is free; you only have to provide your address etc, as well as your biometric data (fingerprints et al, but let's stay at finger prints).
Now, when you buy Dungeon Magazine, you show your IDuMaL license to the clerk, and he sells you the magazine, which is then programmed to yourself. You see, Paizo uses a new technology of intelligent paper which can electronically scan finger prints.

So far, so good. Registration wasn't too bad, and showing the license when you buy the mag - doesn't matter. The only thing that might be problematic is the fact that the IDuMaL now has your finger prints in their files.
However, the new Dungeon also imposes a few rules on you. You see, all to often Dungeon Magazine became "group property", and there were even some people scanning whole adventures out of it and sending it via e-mail to friends and acquaintances. Paizo doesn't like that.
So now, whenever the mag is opened by someone with different fingerprints than yours, the pages go blank. It is important to note, however, that the pages only go blank when they detect an unknown print, not when the magazine is simply lying around. So you can simply wear gloves and read Dungeon. But wearing gloves while reading a mag with thin pages is an inconvenience, and it's most often not really worth it - unless you really want to circumvent buying a mag for your own.

Furthermore, the pages detect scanning lasers. You may only scan ten pages per tenday or the pages go blank again. You also may only make ten copies per tenday; in fact, it's ten copies/scans per tenday. So you can't copy the whole adventure for you to make notes on, or to change some details, or for ease of reference. You might even have a problem copying all the handouts for the players.

Do you still buy Dungeon? ETA: And if you do, do you also purchase a pair of gloves?

Last edited:

Funksaw

First Post
Berandor said:
Again, that is simply a very bad analogy. Beginning with the fact that the "cop" only checks once; after checking whether I'm allowed to "drive", I am allowed henceforth.

What, you want accurate analogies in an internet comedy sketch?

Berandor

lunatic
Yes. Without it, there's no humor to find for me. Comedy is hard; making broad, inaccurate exaggerations is easy. So broad, inaccurate exaggerations do not equal comedy (imo).

:)

Sorry, but I'm kind of snobbish in that regard.

Dimwhit

Explorer
My favorite anti-DRM argument so far: those offended/pissed/whatever because they feel the companies are considering them to be criminals. Come on, guys. Come up with something better.

Besides, it's not like the DRM is tough to crack or anything...

Funksaw

First Post
rushlight said:
Again, breaking the DRM is not illegal.

Actually, Rushlight, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 1998 makes breaking the DRM even on products you own illegal.

That law criminalizes not only the *act* of breaking the DRM or any other encryption designed to enforce copyright, but also criminalizes the ownership of any tools which may do so.

It's a bad law - according to the DMCA, ownership of a sharpie marker (which can be used to circumvent copyright protection on a protected CD) is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads