UPDATE: Politics/Religion no longer permitted again!

Janx

Hero
Remember, only threads tagged with one of the new tags. That way it's very easy for people to avoid politics.

By nationalism, I mean derogatory comments based on nationality. It may be the wrong word; I wanted a word which treats nationality as an -ism like sexism, racism, and so on.

so badism is bad.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
just a side challenge, is it possible to talk about american politics without referring to political party or "liberal" or "conservative"? Because I don't think those words mean what people think it means.

Oh, they mean what people think they mean - because they mean at least two things.

They have a technical, theoretical and historical meaning. They also have a meaning that equates to "closer to and/or more likely to agree with current Democrat or Republican parties".

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
so badism is bad.

Yah. Saying, "All you people who are X are bad," is bad. X being a race, a religion, a sexual orientation, nationality, member of political party, and so on.

In general, if you paint negatively with a broad brush, you are apt to create issues, and thus apt to run into issues with moderation.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
It is difficult to not use the "S" word when talking about anti-vaxxers and those who believe Reptilians control everything.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It is difficult to not use the "S" word when talking about anti-vaxxers and those who believe Reptilians control everything.

By that do you mean "stupid"? Or something else. You're gonna have to try, I'm afraid! Debunk the argument, and don't attack the person - the usual rules, really.

Janx

Hero
By that do you mean "stupid"? Or something else. You're gonna have to try, I'm afraid! Debunk the argument, and don't attack the person - the usual rules, really.

it would seem like all you'd have to do is state pure facts like Polio incidents were stopped because polio vaccines were widely used.

If somebody responds with, "no, that was a coincidence! My left nipple Herberous Crax traveled back in time to eradicate Polio with his lactic powers" then you've avoided calling anybody stupid.

Janx

Hero
you know the nice thing is, now that the floodgates on religion and politics have been opened...

nobody's arguing about religion or politics.

My faith in ENworld is renewed :)

Remove ads