Update: The Union was Recognized! Noble Knight Games employees Unionize.

darjr

I crit!
Saw this via the Designers & Dragons fb page.

From ICv2

Employees at a large brick-and-mortar and online hobby games retailer have formed a union affiliated with the Communications Workers of America

ED43EA0F-6CAA-4341-9BC4-F6261EA4290D.jpeg

The Cap Times gives us an employee count.

The union would cover upwards of 90% of the company’s roughly 75 employees, an unnamed representative of the bargaining committee said in an email.

4E72454A-B1E6-47B2-A876-B36A1010A781.jpeg

From @billd91

!!! @NKGames has done what 95% of privately-owned companies fail to do: they have voluntarily recognized their workers' union! Our amazing coworkers, with the support of @CWAUnion, @LaborSCFL, @AFLCIO, and ALL OF YOU, have achieved this! #WeRollTogether

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Plot twist, there are only 3 employees, and one is the owner.
I think there are 13 full time employees not counting managers? But I think that’s just their main retail store. I’m not sure if there are more or how many but I think there are more.

Small company for sure but they have an outsized influence.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I think there are 13 full time employees not counting managers? But I think that’s just their main retail store. I’m not sure if there are more or how many but I think there are more.

Small company for sure but they have an outsized influence.

Not sure how many retail/warehouse employees they have in their one physical location, but I'm pretty sure their online sales dept. and management is maybe five or six people total. Last time I emailed them awhile back it took them about four days to get back to me because their entire office staff had gotten hit with Covid.

darjr

I crit!
Not sure how many retail/warehouse employees they have in their one physical location, but I'm pretty sure their online sales dept. and management is maybe five or six people total. Last time I emailed them awhile back it took them about four days to get back to me because their entire office staff had gotten hit with Covid.
Oof!

Thanks for that.

I know it’s a small company but again their influence in the hobby and industry outweighs their size.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I'm not sure how busy their physical store gets, but they could probably run it with about five or six employees including a manager. And even though their online business is the much greater part of their operation, it's all games and smaller items, so you'd only really need maybe two or three people handling online sales/generating paperwork, one warehouse manager, maybe an inventory guy, three or four order pickers, and a couple of shipping guys.
I've worked in warehouse and shipping most of my life, and for small-item stuff like that, a small crew can move a lot of product out the door surprisingly quickly.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm not sure how busy their physical store gets, but they could probably run it with about five or six employees including a manager. And even though their online business is the much greater part of their operation, it's all games and smaller items, so you'd only really need maybe two or three people handling online sales/generating paperwork, one warehouse manager, maybe an inventory guy, three or four order pickers, and a couple of shipping guys.
I've worked in warehouse and shipping most of my life, and for small-item stuff like that, a small crew can move a lot of product out the door surprisingly quickly.
There's a lot more people working there than that. They've got 7 different job descriptions and have been growing steadily since 2016 when someone I know started working there.
Edit: One of our local newspapers reports about 75 employees.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

If successful, I'll amble over and buy something relatively extravagant to celebrate their union.
And maybe I will finally be able to get my daughter to put in an application to work there...

darjr

I crit!

If successful, I'll amble over and buy something relatively extravagant to celebrate their union.
And maybe I will finally be able to get my daughter to put in an application to work there...
Thank you for that!

Remove ads