[Updated: 21 August 2006] Your souvenir sword may save you some day

Tiew

First Post
Dioltach said:
On a side note, when did "burglarize" become a word? In fact, when did it become OK to make a verb by sticking "ize" on the end? Whatever happened to just learning the proper verb (in this case, "burgle")?

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine.
Whatever you crazy lingustic determinist. Language changes over time. Embrace it! Love it!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dioltach said:
On a side note, when did "burglarize" become a word? In fact, when did it become OK to make a verb by sticking "ize" on the end? Whatever happened to just learning the proper verb (in this case, "burgle")?

Well, it's really simple - "burgle" just sounds so silly. No thug worth his salt is going to go out and burgle. No newscaaster wanst to say "burgle" on screen, lest someone thing they'd burped, or something. "Burgle" is not a dark or dangerous word for a criminal enterprise.

Harmon

First Post
Cops tell victims to not fight back because they will only cause themselves more injury, yet just about every person I know that has ever been robbed, assaulted, beaten up, etc that has fought back has come out the winner as these guys did.

If more people would fight I think criminals would either think about their course of action more, or come in with more violence to start the crime, thus taking the fight out of the people they are criminalizing (sorry, had to do it :D )

Peace all, and remember if you plan to fight, do it with everything you have, and do not stop until its over.

Merkuri

Explorer
Dannyalcatraz said:
Who said it was particularly sharp?

I've read before that Medieval swords weren't actually very sharp. As others have said, it's simply not practical to keep them that way, and they did their job anyway. If you swing something with enough force it doesn't need to be very sharp to cause damage. Have you ever seen a knight on a TV show or movie who braces his sword with two hands, one on the hilt and one on the end of the blade, as if he were holding a quarterstaff? Ever wonder why he doesn't cut himself? It's simply not sharp enough.

I used to hear that samauri swords were the exeception to this rule, but I also remember hearing that new evidence has shown that samauri swords weren't actually any sharper than the European variety. So I really don't know either way on that one.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Umbran said:
No, really, it doesn't. Not if the fingers were against a hard object (like a gun).

Maybe if the fingers were against something completely immobile, like a brick wall. Otherwise a dull blade would simply move the hand back.

This is why branch cutters aren't simply just a sharp blade, but two blades (like scissors).

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
trancejeremy said:
This is why branch cutters aren't simply just a sharp blade, but two blades (like scissors).
Yet weed whackers use a dull cord, spun at a high speed, to chop down weeds, grass, plants, and darn near anything. Industrial whackers can take down thin woody plants.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If it cut off someone's finger, it had to be sharp.

Not really- all you have to do is apply enough force to a small enough point.

Go buy a cheap ham or a chicken. Swing a 3' long, 1 1/2" wide, 1/8" thick unsharpened piece of metal at it and see if you don't do some damage...

I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't take a swing at the chicken in the air (like swinging at a baseball) and chop something off of it, especially if you do a 2 handed strike.

(Of course, I wouldn't expect a souvenir weapon to be good for more than 1-2 of solid hits before breaking or otherwise dissembling itself.)

A branch has a very different structure from a hand. A branch is a relatively homogeneous structure of cells with firm cellular walls and a hard exterior. The fibrous nature of a branch is very resistant to cutting.

In contrast, a hand is made up of a LOT of soft tissue around bone. Flesh isn't really designed to resist cutting. Cartilage is tough & spongy, but tears fairly easily. Bone is very, very strong- thigh bones have been shown to withstand crushing forces (along the long axis) of TONS before breaking. However, only a few pounds of pressure need be applied across the short axis of a bone to break it, as I found out- I broke my thumb blocking a pass when the point of the ball hit it squarely. The tiny bones of the hand and feet are not particularly strong.

If the blade intersected with the hand at or near a joint, fingers could be lopped off quite easily. With enough force, the same could happen even at the center of the bone, cleaving it in two.

BTW, for the record "Burglarize" appears in my Websters's Deluxe Unabridged Dictionary...y'know- one of those 10lb beasts? It does not, however, reveal WHEN it became a word.

Last edited:

Ferret

Explorer
One of them is 26, lean and 6 feet tall, the other has a mean golf swing. Together...they fight crime!

Seriously, do you know if the victims aree being charged at all?

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Ferret said:
Seriously, do you know if the victims aree being charged at all?
And Update: Looks like three teens are charged with two counts each of first-degree burglary involving assault. The fourth is still at large.

No word on any charges against the victims. It appears not though. Witness are still being interviewed.

Last edited:

Remove ads