• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[UPDATED] A Savage D&D 5E Campaign Setting From the Makers of PRINCES OF THE APOCALYPSE

Sasquatch Game Studios - made up of WotC alumni Dave Noonan, Richard Baker, and Stephen Schubert - is the company which produced Princes of the Apocalypse for WotC. Now they're turning their eyes towards a 288-page full-colour hardcover setting. This will be a D&D 5th Edition version of their Howard/Lovecraft inspired Primeval Thule campaign setting which already exists for Pathfinder, 13th Age, and D&D 4E.

Sasquatch Game Studios - made up of WotC alumni Dave Noonan, Richard Baker, and Stephen Schubert - is the company which produced Princes of the Apocalypse for WotC. Now they're turning their eyes towards a 288-page full-colour hardcover setting. This will be a D&D 5th Edition version of their Howard/Lovecraft inspired Primeval Thule campaign setting which already exists for Pathfinder, 13th Age, and D&D 4E.

UPDATE: The Kickstarter is live!

Primeval Thule
is described as a "savage, intense campaign setting". With influences from the likes of Conan and Cthulhu, it's an "dangerous place full of barbaric wilderness, decadent city-states, horrific monsters, and eldritch mysteries". If you're a fan of pulp fantasy and horror, Conan the Barbarian, Kull of Atlantis, Hyperborea, Tarzan, and Lovecraft's alien gods, you should enjoy this. Add in a healthy dose of Burroughs' Pellucidar and the Land That Time Forgot, plus the art styles of Frank Frazetta and the likes, and you'll get the idea.

Sasquatch will be producing a 288-page hardcover book in full colour, with a continental poster map. It will contain more than 40 new monsters, plus the range of spells, magic items, and all the other stuff you'd expect to see in a campaign setting. It'll be the first fully-fledged campaign setting for D&D 5E.

They're doing this via a Kickstarter next week. The exact launch date is not decided yet, but it's only a few days away. As Dave Noonan says, "We're going to fulfill this fast! Because this is a new version of a book we've already published, most of the text and all of the art is already done. We'll send files to the printing press as soon as the Kickstarter campaign closes and we know how many books we need." Like others dipping into 5E publishing, the Open Gaming License will be used.

The existing versions of the setting contain a new character race (the Atlanteans), 19 "heroic narratives", over 40 monsters, 3 adventures, a city called Quodeth, City of Thieves, and a continent of "savage adventure".

Below is an image of the Pathfinder version of Primeval Thule. I don't know if the 5E version will look the same, but the 13th Age and 4E version do, so it's a safe bet.

133780.jpg

"Welcome to Thule, a primordial land of fierce barbarians, elder horrors, and savage wilderness. In this ancient age, humankind is a young race, newly arisen on a monster-haunted Earth. Cities of cruel splendor lie scattered across the great lands of the north like a handful of gems strewn from a dead thief's hand.

This is a doomed age, a time of great deeds and inhuman terror destined to be lost and forgotten beneath the numbing cloak of endless winter. But for one glittering moment, Thule lives—and it is a fierce, cruel, splendid, and marvelous moment indeed."

More information as I get it!

epithet

Explorer
I'm in at the $75 level, but I'm wondering if the $90 level might not be expanded (it's all bought up) because I'm belatedly interested in that DM screen and city poster map.

ChapolimX

Explorer
I'm in at the $75 level, but I'm wondering if the $90 level might not be expanded (it's all bought up) because I'm belatedly interested in that DM screen and city poster map.

They mentioned that this itens might be avaiable as add-ons but that is not certain for now. I can't post the link but you can take a look at the update 3 on the Kickstarter page.

JTorres

First Post
The Thule Companion stretch goal is squarely in our sights right now. (Shameless link to the KS page here.) As we gain backers throughout the next few weeks, we're gonna make it bigger and better. We're checking with various vendors about other potential stretch goals/add-ons, so if there's anything in particular you'd like to see from a bigger-than-ever 5e Thule, let us know!

--David Noonan, Sasquatch Game Studio

Hi David

How about heavy card stock counters for creatures and enemies specific to Thule such as beastmen, lizardmen, Thulean animals,etc.? I also think a collection of print maps for different adventures sites would be a nice goal. A print Player's Guide would be a great addition for passing around the table too.

On another note, apart from any of the stretch goals for this Kickstarter, do the Sasquatches have plans to publish more material to support Thule in the future? I ask because it seems to me that 5e is begging for a full-fledged campaign setting outside of the official stuff being delivered by WotC and I think Thule can easily fill that void.

dnoonan

First Post
ChapolimX has it right. We really have only a limited supply of the DM screen and Quodeth poster map. We're bringing some to Gencon, and the rest will go to those backers. We're soliciting quotes on getting more of 'em printed, but we're sensitive to timeframe (especially for a Far East printer), quality, and minimum order size.

We're also looking into other physical products--both for the KS campaign and for the Thule line in the broader sense. Nothing to report on that yet, but we'll definitely announce it here.

As for publishing more material, we have a small but growing collection of PDF adventures on DriveThru that we'll do 5e versions of, and after this KS campaign, I think we'll have even more to offer. The three of us really love the setting; to be honest, writing Thule stuff is just a joy!

--Dave.

tripleneck

First Post
This is the first "non-core 3" book I've bought for 5e. That's a testament to the quality of the presentation of the KS presentation and the strengths of the concepts in the campaign setting. I'm not very inspired by WotC's default Realms setting although I don't hate it; it's just kind of there and I'm ok with that. But Thule really fires up my imagination!

epithet

Explorer
As for publishing more material, we have a small but growing collection of PDF adventures on DriveThru that we'll do 5e versions of, and after this KS campaign, I think we'll have even more to offer. The three of us really love the setting; to be honest, writing Thule stuff is just a joy!

Dave, I'm using a virtual tabletop pretty much exclusively since my D&D friends are scattered far afield, so I'm really hoping these adventures come with "player's maps" that I'll be able to use with Fantasy Grounds. If the adventure doesn't come with a hi-res map without room numbers and secret doors marked, will it be possible for me to get one separately, either from Sasquatch or from the artist's website or something?

Hussar

Legend
Sweet update for this. For an extra 25 bucks you get everything pre-loaded for Fantasy Grounds. Fantastic.

One question though, this is an "add on" so I'm not 100% sure how to buy it. Is it just automatically added if I pony up the extra cash onto my original pledge?

Sweet update for this. For an extra 25 bucks you get everything pre-loaded for Fantasy Grounds. Fantastic.

One question though, this is an "add on" so I'm not 100% sure how to buy it. Is it just automatically added if I pony up the extra cash onto my original pledge?

Hey Hussar, that's how it normally works for KS. I did the same as you, I added $25 to my original pledge to get the complete FG add-on.

Remove ads

Remove ads