[UPDATED] Here's Mike Mearls' New D&D 5E Initiative System

In his AMA yesterday, WotC's Mike Mearls frequently referenced his dislike for D&D's initiative system, and mentioned that he was using a new initiative system in his own games. He later briefly explained what that was: "Roll each round. D4 = ranged, d8 = melee, d12 = spell, d6 = anything else, +d8 to swap gear, +d8 for bonus action, low goes 1st. Oh, and +d6 to move and do something ... adds tension, speeds up resolution. So far in play has been faster and makes fights more intense." That's the short version; there's likely more to it. Mearls mentioned briefly that he might trial it in Unearthed Arcana at some point to see what sort of reaction it gets.

In his AMA yesterday, WotC's Mike Mearls frequently referenced his dislike for D&D's initiative system, and mentioned that he was using a new initiative system in his own games. He later briefly explained what that was: "Roll each round. D4 = ranged, d8 = melee, d12 = spell, d6 = anything else, +d8 to swap gear, +d8 for bonus action, low goes 1st. Oh, and +d6 to move and do something ... adds tension, speeds up resolution. So far in play has been faster and makes fights more intense." That's the short version; there's likely more to it. Mearls mentioned briefly that he might trial it in Unearthed Arcana at some point to see what sort of reaction it gets.

In his AMA, Mearls indicated it was cyclic initiative he didn't like ("Cyclical initiative - too predictable"), which the above doesn't address at all (it merely changes the die rolls). Presumably there's more to the system than that quick couple of sentences up there, and it sounds like initiative is rolled every round. So if your initiative is based on your action, presumably you declare your action before rolling initiative (as opposed to declaring your action when your initiative comes around).

_____

UPDATE: I asked Mearls a couple of quick questions. He commented that it "lets ranged guys shoot before melee closes, spellcasters need to be shielded". He also mentioned that he "tinkered with using your weapon's damage die as your roll, but too inflexible, not sure it's worth it".

How is this implemented in-game? "Roll each round, count starts again at 1. Requires end of turn stuff to swap to end of round, since it's not static. In play I've called out numbers - Any 1s, 2s, etc, then just letting every PC go once monsters are done". You announce your action at the beginning of the round; you only need to "commit to the action type - you're not picking specific targets or a specific spell, for instance."

Dexterity does NOT adjust INITIATIVE. Mearls comments that "Dex is already so good, i don't miss it".

So what's the main benefit of the system? "Big benefit is that it encourages group to make a plan, then implement it. Group sees issue of the round and acts around it. I also think it adds a nice flow to combat - each round is a sequence. Plan, resolve, act, encourages group cohesion. Resolution is also faster - each player knows what to do; you don't need to pick spells ahead of acting, but groups so far have planned them."

20b8_critical_hit_d20_rug.jpg

Picture from ThinkGeek
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Whithers

First Post
Lars Andersen is a show shooter. He doesn't draw his bow to its full length, and it's likely a low poundage bow to begin with.

There was a bow found in a bog in Denmark that was a highly adapted and modified flatbow from 8k years ago. It was designed to fire fast and without a full draw. I used it as the starting point to design a war bow adding recurve from the Persians, horn on the belly, and sinew backing on Orange Wood. Depending on how much one chooses to thin with the drawknife, such a bow can easily range between 45 to over 100 lbs draw.

Athinar

Explorer
Too much Math, I have people that counts up all the values each round to roll just to hit

My 2cp:

Low initiative goes first allows for additive initiative by round.

For Example:

1d20-dex for opening round, lowest goes first. Declare/resolve actions on initiative as usual. Then Roll initiative modifier based on Mearls (or some other variant) dice to advance initiative. So Wizard rolls 1d20-dex and gets (14). On initiative count 14 he acts by casting a spell - cantrip (+1d12), casting a bonus action spell (+1d8), then moving back (+1d6). He rolls an 8,2, and 3 for 13 total. 14+13=27. He next acts on initiative 27. Meanwhile, Mr Archer rolled a lousy 16 (nat 20 - 4 for dex) for opening initiative. He shoots an arrow, rolling a d4 and gets a 2. His new initiative is 18. He shoots an arrow, rolls a 4 on 1d4, his new initiative is 22. He then shoots an arrow and moves back (since the enemy is closing in) rolling a 6 (1d4+1d6), his new initiative is 28. The wizard goes next on 27. Then the archer again on 28.

Something like that seems very interesting and do-able. Maybe the numbers need tweaking, maybe there are some more house rules (like you add 10 plus the die roll, not just die roll), etc. but I think it has serious potential.

Bah - [MENTION=6882071]stoopski[/MENTION] beat me to it. That's what I get for walk away mid-type.

Staccat0

First Post
I've been thinking a lot about this.

Thinking of trying a one shot where player roll imitative like normal, but then AFTER their action they roll a die.
Dodge and other weird actions: 1d10
Melee attack: 1d8
ranged attack: 1d6
Spell: 1d4

They then add their initiative bonus to the result and move theirself that many spaces forward in initiative equal to the result during the following players turn. They never talk about it or spend extra time dealing with it.

Might be fun.

Anything more granular than that is probably too fussy for my PCs, but this would shake things up and be kinda whacky without me having to monitor their rolls make sure they roles the right dice for a two handed attack or whatever.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads