• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Updated!, Stigmatist, New Arcane Class

drexes

First Post
Ok I have worked on this class for a while, off and on. The foundation idea was that, in my campaign metamagic and counterspelling are rarely used, because they are either complicated or viewed as to costly. Sure we've had a wizard or two with Empower but that was about it. I don't think anyone has ever even attempted a counterspell in our games, and we've been playing d20 since it came out. Please offer any criticism you have, I'm all ears.

As for the flavor of the class, here it goes in a simplified and much cut down fashion.

In the world of Obsydia there is a cult of dragon worshippers known as the Geistot. Unbeknownst to much of the world this cult has existed for several generations biding its time and building a power base to further thier own ends. The presumed leadership of this cult is a group of powerful evil dragons bent on becoming more powerful. (Go figure). To accomplish this the dragons sought to create a group of spellcasters whose abilities would bewilder more traditional casters, while still leaving the cultists manageable. The Geistot created the Stigmatist, an arcane caster whose powers are tied to the runespells on his body. In this way the Geistot hoped to control the power of thier own servants while making it easy to identify what spells the caster knew in case of defection. In the years following the creation of the stigmatist, the Geistot has seen them thrive, however a few stigmatists have begun showing up outside the ranks of the cult, much to its dismay...

STIGMATIST

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d6.

Class Skills
The stigmatist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Table: The Stigmatist

BAB: As cleric
Saves: Good Will, Bad Reflex and Fortitude

Level Special Mana Points Spells Known Max Level
1 Runeward, Eschew Materials, Metamagic Key 0* 1 1
2 Arcane Schooling 1 2 1
3 3 3 1
4 5 4 2
5 Metamagic Key 7 5 2
6 11 6 2
7 Couterspell Mastery 15 7 3
8 19 8 3
9 23 9 3
10 Metamagic Key 27 10 4
11 35 11 4
12 43 12 4
13 51 13 5
14 59 14 5
15 Metamagic Key 67 15 5
16 79 16 6
17 91 17 6
18 103 18 6
19 115 19 6
20 Metamagic Key 127 20 6

Table: Stigmatist Spell Slots
Slot Location Spell Slots
Upper Right Arm 2
Upper Left Arm 2
Lower Right Arm 2
Lower Left Arm 2
Right Chest 2
Left Chest 2
Right Abdomen 2
Left Abdomen 2
Right Thigh 2
Left Thigh 2

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the sorcerer.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Stigmatists are proficient with all simple weapons and any one martial weapon of their choice. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a stigmatist’s gestures, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail.

Spells: A stigmatist casts arcane spells that are drawn from the stigmatist spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).
To learn or cast a spell, a stigmatist must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a stigmatist’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the stigmatist’s Intelligence modifier.

Table: Bonus Mana Points by Ability Modifier
*Use table from psionics cost*

Unlike other spellcasters, a stigmatist is not limited to a number of spell slots per day. Instead the stigmatist can expend mana points (from his mana pool) in order to cast spells. A stigmatist has mana points equal to the value shown on the chart above for his class value plus a number of bonus points dependant on his constitution modifier as indicated on the chart above. Spells of various levels cost an increasing number of mana points to cast as indicated on the chart below. Stigmatists are not limited to only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day.

Table: Mana Points by Spell Level
*Use table from psionics cost

A stigmatist’s selection of spells is extremely limited. At anytime in a stigmatist’s career he can only know a certain number of spells as noted on the table above. At 3rd level and every odd level thereafter a stigmatist may exchange one known spell for a new one. Exchanging a spell in this manner is very difficult and requires intense study and monetary resources. A stigmatist must study the new spell for a number of days equal to the spell level and expend materials with a monetary cost of 100 gp/spell level. At the end of this period the stigmatist will gain the new spell and lose his previous one.
Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a stigmatist need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has the necessary mana points. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.
For stigmatists, metamagic works in different manner than it does for other casters. A stigmatist can burn a portion of his own life energy into his spells. This burn causes 1d4 points of damage per spell level that the spell cast exceeds the caster’s maximum spell level. Mana costs for the spell are calculated based upon the effective level of the spell. Thus a 5th level stigmatist may cast a maximized magic missile. The spell would cost 7 mana points (1st level spell + 3 spell levels for maximize = 4th level). In addition the stigmatist would take 2d4 points of damage for casting a spell that is 2 levels beyond his normal maximum level. No spell may ever have an effective level beyond 9th level.
In order to cast a spell a stigmatist must have his corresponding tattoo visible (which is one reason they cannot cast invisibility). A stigmatist may not cast any spell if the corresponding tattoo is covered by equipment or otherwise not visible for any reason (see below for an exception). For this reason, stigmatists often wear loose robes that are cinched at the waist so that they can easily move their robes and access their tattoos. Most loose equipment will not cause any inconvenience to the spellcaster, but some vests, bracers, etc. may cover multiple spell slots. The DM has final say on what slots are covered by equipment and how much inconvenience is caused by the equipment. Stigmatists and those creating magic items specifically for a stigamtist can usually create items to minimize interference. A player with a stigmatist character should keep track of what spells are inscribed in each slot so that he knows which spell slots are covered by equipment. Easily moved or removed equipment, including but not limited to equipment designed for stigmatists, require a swift action to be moved. Because a tattoo must be visible in order to be used, spells such as alter self and invisibility cause difficulty for a stigmatist. The exception for the visibility rule noted above is darkness. Darkness causes no difficulty for a stigmatist, nor does any other baleful illusory effect used to cover the stigmatist’s tattooes.
The somantic component for a stigmatist’s spells involves touching the symbols with the appropriate fingers thus spells can only reasonably be placed on certain parts of the body. Verbal components are unaffected by the stigmatist class. For information on material components see Eschew Materials below.

Eschew Materials: All stigmatists are considered to have the eschew materials feat for all thier spells. Any spell that requires an expensive material component (25 gold pieces or more) instead costs a number of experience points equal to the gold piece value divided by twenty-five. For instance a spell with a material component that normally costs one hundred gold pieces instead costs four experience points.

Runeward: A stigmatist training is very dangerous and to that end the stigmatist’s first marking is known as a runeward. The runeward symbol is placed on the face and provides a measure of protection for the stigmatist from spells as well as mundane attacks. A stigmatist’s runeward value is equal to his maximum spell level as indicated below. A stigmatist gains a resistance bonus to saves versus spells and spell-like abilities as well as an armor bonus to armor class equal to his runeward value. The runeward also allows the stigmatist to cast each of the following spells: Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Arcane Mark, and Read Magic. The stigmatist may cast any combination of these spells freely up to 3 total times per day. These spells do not cost mana points to cast.

Metamagic Key: Metamagic keys are in effect feats inscribed onto the fingers of the stigmatist. A stigmatist may not use ‘traditional’ metmagic feats; instead he/she must gain the corresponding metamagic key feat. A stigmatist may learn any number of key feats but may only inscribe up to ten (or one per finger). At 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level the stigmatist gains a bonus metamagic key feat. The stigmatist must still meet all prerequisites for the feat.

Counterspell Mastery: The duelist nature of stigmatist training and philosophy offers them unique proficiency in counterspelling techniques. At 7th level, as a free action, a stigmatist may counterspell an opponents spell even if the stigmatist has not used the ready action to do so. The stigmatist still follows all normal rules for counterspells. Following the use of this ability, the stigmatist loses his/her action(s) on the following round. Though this is a free action a stigmatist may only perform one such counterspell per round.

Magic Item Use: A stigmatist cannot use spell trigger and spell completion items as effectively as other casters. In order to use these types of items a stigmatist must utelize the Use Magic Device skill with the normal required DC’s.

Stigmatist Spell List

1st Level:
Chill Touch, Endure Elements, Protection from Alignment, Shield, Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Color Spray, Shocking Grasp, Silent Image, Ray of Enfeeblement, Bane, Doom, Entropic Shield, Faerie Fire, Produce Flame

2nd Level:
Protection from Arrows, Resist Energy, Acid Arrow, Glitterdust, Web, See Invisibility, Touch of Idiocy, Darkness, Flaming Sphere, Gust of Wind, Scorching Ray, Shatter, Hypnotic Pattern, Minor Image, Mirror Image, Ghoul Touch, Spectral Hand, Darkvision, Silence, Sound Burst, Flame Blade, Enthrall

3rd Level:
Dispel Magic, Magic Circle Against Alignment, Protection from Energy, Arcane Sight, Daylight, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Wind Wall, Displacement, Major Image, Ray of Exhaustion, Vampiric Touch, Haste, Invisibilty Purge, Water Breathing, Call Lightning

4th Level:
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, Stoneskin, Black Tentacles, Fire Shield, Ice Storm, Resilient Sphere, Shout, Wall of Fire, Wall of Ice, Phantasmal Killer, Rainbow Pattern, Freedom of Movement, Spell Immunity, Rusting Grasp, Spike Stones

5th Level:
Break Enchantment, Dismissal, Feeblemind, Hold Monster, Cone of Cold, Interposing Hand, Wall of Force, Nightmare, Persistent Image, Telekinesis, Permanency, Flame Strike, Slay Living, Spell Resistance, Call Lightning Storm

6th Level:
Antimagic Shell, Greater Dispel Magic, Globe of Invulnerability, Repulsion, Acid Fog, True Seeing, Chain Lightning, Forceful Hand, Freezing Sphere, Circle of Death, Disintegrate, Transformation, Blade Barrier, Eyebite, Project Image, Greater Shout, Sympathetic Vibration

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I normally don't read threads with new classes because they take so long to read, but since you asked nicely in another thread, I will. :)

The class is very interesting. I definitely like the backstory flavor of these spellcasters being influenced by evil dragons. The counterspelling mastery seems fairly powerful at first glance, but given the limitations of this class (low number of spells known for instance) I don't think it will come into play all the time which is a balancing factor. I like that ability a lot since it seems well thought out.

Have you ever looked at the psionics rules for 3.5? If not, they are available freely as part of the OGL. Just hop on down to http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 and check it out. It seems like this class resembles the psion in a number of ways and you might benefit from adjusting those rules to your idea. It wouldn't be too hard to just let them learn spells instead of powers and then tack on your special abilities.

The tattoo idea is pretty cool though. If you wish to stick with that I have a few suggestions. Don't make it so difficult to wear equipment. Simply allow them to cast by touching the tattoo, meaning they can do so as long as they aren't in full plate or something. I don't think it would break the game to give them invisibility. As limited as they are in their spells known it is a major opportunity cost to learn such a spell. I also think allowing metamagic to be used by taking nonlethal damage makes it too easy. I don't pretend to know why metamagic is unpopular in your campaigns, but it is one of the best things about 3e imho, as long as you eschew things that grant metamagic without increasing the level of the spell (like metamagic rods, divine metamagic, sudden metamagic feats, etc.). Maybe there is some other element in your campaigns responsible for the lack of metamagic. Do you have any other major house rules? They might be the culprit rather than metamagic itself.

Lorehead

First Post
I'm sorry to say that this class would need a lot of rebalancing to work. A few areas that I think could lead to trouble:
  • At low levels, you have a better version of the sorcerer: more spells known, and can cast them more often.
  • At high levels, you end up with an inferior bard, with no staying power. His abilities are all focused on spellcasting, but he lacks the high-level spells to really be useful in that role. He has sixth-level spells, like the bard, but has worse saving throws, worse BAB, no bardic music, fewer skills and no other class abilities.
  • A dependency on Con isn't really much of a balancing factor. It's a crucial ability score anyway.
  • The majority of this character's spell points probably derive from Con; compare to the bonus spell chart from the standard rules, which add only one or two extra spell slots of each level.
  • The ability to cast metamagic spells of an effective level higher than you normally could has the potential to be game-breaking. The small amount of nonlethal damage doesn't compensate.
I second the suggestion that you adapt the psionic rules for this purpose. The latest version of the system is well-done.

drexes

First Post
Ok, thanks for the feedback, I'll have to look at the psionics thing. I confess that I haven't looked at them since I bought the psionics handbook and it proceeded to collect dust on my shelf. The problem I've always seen with psionics is that they always seem to work only if everything has a psionic component.

I see what you're saying about the balance issue, and I'll look into trying to fix it. I like the flavor and want to introduce something into the campaign to baffle the players and hopefully get them curious enough to try a research the class. The campaign is just getting to the cult coming out party as it were...

I have some other stuff I hope to be putting up eventually classes, races, religions, the works. I have a 200+ pg campaign setting on my hard drive. Lots of it has been playtested and I keep things fluid as I find issues. My group seems to like the setting, but I always look for outside opinions.

Thanks again for the responses. I'll post again when I've made some headway on balancing.

Drexes

Land Outcast

Explorer
I'm charmed by the concept...
I'm also charmed by the psionic system, that is how I think all magic should be handled, so it can oly improve with said system... but that's just me.

The abilty to cast powered versions of spells is handled better with psionics, as a direct reference to the Stigmatist.
Also, I've got to give a respectful nod towards Lorehead on the High-level power issue.

btw, any chance you have said campaign setting somewhere on the web, or that you can e-mail it to people who delight on collecting material to shamelessly rip off ? ;)

drexes

First Post
I would love to be shamelessly ripped off and hope to have a website for my setting soon. I'll have a version for emailing in the next couple of days since your interested. I have one rule though. You have to give feedback...hehe. I'm a feedback glutton, what can I say. I'll post when the setting stuff is available. I have to remove some plagarized stuff before I send it out. I shamelessly rip off too, but won't try to claim the stuff is mine.

As a side I looked into the psionics stuff and really liked it so I put it into effect stealing blatantly from the psychic warrior. I used thier BAB, point progression, max level slot, and powers known for spells. I kept the counterspelling thing and changed the overcasting penalty to real damage instead of subdual. I added a means of exchanging old spells at higher levels much like the warlock so spells useful early on can be exchanged for more useful ones later. I added a few zero level spells to the runeward, so they can detect magic and stuff.

I have updated the original post in order to reflect these changes but wanted to sum them up so you wouldn't have to read it all again. As for the equipment issue I think it helps balance both the over-casting and the runeward ability, but if people think it's still too harsh after these revisions I'll find a way to revise it.

Please let me know what you think.

Drexes

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I really do think you need to stay away from the metamagic thing dealing damage. The major problem to this is twofold. 1) Whenever you add an element to the game that allows a character to have metamagic without paying an opportunity cost, it starts to break the game. Observe a high level cleric with divine metamagic or a wizard with rods of empower and maximize.

When psions use metamagic, they expend more power points to do so. I think something like that would be more balanced. Otherwise, you run the risk of letting your combats boil down to the stigmatist blowing a bunch of metamagic stuff and taking a little damage but wiping his enemies out at the same time. If you want to preserve the idea that the stigmatist takes some kind of damage when he uses metamagic, make him take CON damage. That is a serious enough penalty (hurts his hp, concentration check AND Fort save) that it offsets the massive benefit given from metamagic. Something like 1 or 2 points of con damage for each spell level the mm feat normally increases the spell level.

drexes

First Post
I did have it retain an extra cost in mana pool just like it costs extra for a psychic warrior or psion. But in addition to that I had it cost extra hit points in damage. I'm going to generate some sample characters and see what kind of net effect the ability to metamagic up a spell with these costs and with a one point con damage as airwalkrr suggested would have. The problem I see with con damage is that its effect are level cumalative I first level character who lose four points of con loses only 2 hit points and the damage to the relative saves and skills, while a 10th level character would lose 20 hit points, like it penalizes you for having more levels...I admit this may take some work, but in the end it should really fit the fluid nature of magic that I am striving for in my world. Any thoughts?

Drexes

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Well the con damage does penalize characters more at high levels, but that was kind of the point. At low levels a bit of damage is really something to think about, but at high levels, a lot of characters can easily shrug it off, especially if they are capable of blasting encounters away in one or two rounds and healing afterwards. With the con damage, the penalty increases with the character's level so it is always going to have the same relative effect. Con damage may not be the best way to do this, but it is something to think about.

Remove ads