[UPDATED] TABLETOP RPG Show Starts Filming And It's Starting To Look A Lot [Less] Like DRAGON AGE!

We've known that Tabletop, the web show hosted by Wil Wheaton, was planning an RPG spinoff show for quite a while now. Yesterday, some more information emerged as the show began production. The cast list was announced, and various set photos were tweeted. The cast includes Wil Wheaton, Hank Green (Vlogbrothers, SciShow), Alison Haislip (Team Unicorn, Attack of the Show), Yuri Lowenthal (Naruto, Dragon Age, Ben 10), and Laura Bailey (Soul Eater, Dragon Ball Z, Final Fantasy XIII).

We've known that Tabletop, the web show hosted by Wil Wheaton, was planning an RPG spinoff show for quite a while now. Yesterday, some more information emerged as the show began production. The cast list was announced, and various set photos were tweeted. The cast includes Wil Wheaton, Hank Green (Vlogbrothers, SciShow), Alison Haislip (Team Unicorn, Attack of the Show), Yuri Lowenthal (Naruto, Dragon Age, Ben 10), and Laura Bailey (Soul Eater, Dragon Ball Z, Final Fantasy XIII).

The show was one of the stretch goals in the Indiegogo crowdfunding camapign last year for Tabletop, which raised nearly $1.5 million. As yet there's no title, or no game yet confirmed (but see below for speculation on that).

UPDATE: Wil Wheaton has confirmed that it's NOT Dragon Age -- "It isn't Dragon Age. I brought my own GM screen from home because of reasons." Fantasy AGE still sounds possible, though.

So what's the game? It's been generally assumed that the game being played will be Green Ronin's Dragon Age (or its upcoming core version, Fantasy Age) and, indeed, that that's what Green Ronin's secret "biggest RPG news of the year" announcement they've been teasing will be. All guesswork so far, of course, but that's what most folk have been assuming. The game's been played before on Tabletop, and the episodes won an ENnie in 2013.

This guess has now been given something of a boost with the Dragon Age GM Screen clearly standing next to Wil Wheaton as he announced the cast list. Click on the image below for the actual video.

wheaton_age_screen.jpg

Of course that could always be a red herring planted to throw us off the scent. We'll see, I guess! In the last few days, I've seen a couple of people suggesting it might be Green Ronin's newly announced edition of their Blue Rose RPG instead. They've [meaning Wil Wheaton] said all along that a new world is being created for whatever game it is, so it's not set in the world of Dragon Age.

We know for sure it's not D&D. As Wheaton said, "we're not using D&D. I really like the people at Wizards, but dealing with Hasbro is a giant pain in the ass".

Here's the set:

CBXvWjpVIAA_mFj.jpg

CBYcOIlU8AAbhB4.jpg

CBYcTfXVEAAePsV.jpg

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I still have a hard time seeing Weaton as anything other than the annoying kid he played on Star Trek.

By contrast, the first time I saw him in anything was on The Big Bang Theory so my feelings are much more positive. I simply missed TV in the 90s....

Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but Wil himself said on reddit last night that they aren't playing Dragon Age.

http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/30ugrw/first_picture_from_the_set_of_wil_wheatons/cpweapo

Yes, but it could still be Fantasy Age....

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I still have a hard time seeing Weaton as anything other than the annoying kid he played on Star Trek.
He was the King Joffrey of the 80's--but "annoying," not "evil." ;)

Green Ronin said:
Fantasy AGE

Since we first released Dragon Age, people have been asking us if we were going to release the game system—known as the Adventure Game Engine—separately from the setting. The answer is yes! Our plan for this year is to release Fantasy AGE, a core rulebook for the system that I am working on right now. This will be strictly a rule book with no attached setting. The core of the game will be well-familiar to Dragon Age fans but there are some differences, the biggest of which is the magic system. That of Dragon Age was meant to emulate how magic works in Thedas, so I am modifying it heavily for Fantasy AGE.

Our goal is to release Fantasy AGE in May. Then at the end of July we will release the game’s first setting book. This is our big GenCon release and part of something super exciting … that I can’t talk about yet. This will be the focus of our GenCon presence this year and perhaps the biggest RPG story of the year. Watch for an announcement in a few months.
Fantasy Age is coming in May/July. When is the Tabletop RPG going to air?

It sounds to me like Fantasy Age with Wil's homebrew world will be the new show's system and setting.

As Wheaton said, "we're not using D&D. I really like the people at Wizards, but dealing with Hasbro is a giant pain in the ass"

That pisses me off to high ends. Why would Hasbro be like that, Wil could have done 5E for the RPG show. I wish I could know more on how they were pains but I'm guessing we'll never know. It's a RPG show for God's sake Hasbro, give Wizards a chance here to get 5E on the big platform.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bugleyman

First Post
"we're not using D&D. I really like the people at Wizards, but dealing with Hasbro is a giant pain in the ass".

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

myscha_sleddog

First Post
The Age of AGE is upon us.

More exactly, Chris's tweet-

"The Age of AGE is upon us."

I got the chance to work with Chris on Warhammer 40k Dark Millennium Online. He's a cool, smart, talented, and a dedicated guy so I'm super excited for him and his guys. I'm sure something official with be out there soon! Can't wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads