• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Updated Warmage Variant Spell List

Dominic Ladon

First Post
I HAVE UPDATED THIS SPELL LIST BELOW BASED ON COMMENTS SO FAR!!! PLEASE CONTINUE DOWN TO READ THE CURRENT VERSION!!!

I have created a variant spell list for the Warmage base class. My goal was to make the spell selection not only a little more balanced, as it seemed as though it was a little overpowered before, but also more practical with regards to how similar spells progress through levels as well as what types of spells it seems that a warmage would be apt to use.

From my understanding, the Warmage is a class that one is trained in, and it is for this reason that it seems that there would have to be some consistancy with regards to spell progression through levels. For instance, it seems that a logical progression could be seen in evaluating the similar properties of Fireball, Fireburst, Greater Fireburst, and Delayed Blast Fireball. First one would learn about explosions, then how to center them on oneself, then how to make them stronger, and finally, how to control their timing. Using this as an example, it is in my opinion then that some spells, like Fire Seeds, do not fit this logical progression of spell study, in addition to the fact that Fire Seeds seems like a somewhat nature based spell, which it does not seem that a Warmage would learn.

Furthermore, there are also some spells that do not seem to fit the typical M O of a Warmage, like Fire Seeds. It seems as though the Warmage is one that's goal is to create mass amounts of destruction and damage, often times accomplishing it in a magical, though tactical way. It is for this reason that I do not see the logic behind spells such as Wail of the Banshee. Instant death to a radius of people doesn't seem like the Warmage's style. It seems as though he would see best to accomplish somewhat the same task with a Meteor Swarm. In addition, the Warmage could also use a spell then like Meteor Swarm to damage a battlefield and other objects, whereas Wail of the Banshee limits itself to creatures. It seems as though through all of the Warmage's training, they would likely be a caster that would be versatile and multifunctional in their spell casting, not limited.

Please post any comments and suggestions you may have with regards to the spell list, as I am interested in others' opinions, as well as if they feel it is balanced and justified.

Attachments

• Warmage Spell List.xls
    23 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

Falchieyan

First Post
My idea of warmage was one trained to both deal damage and control the battlefield. While the latter is certainly not on the level of, say, the druid, it does seem to be a principal theme of the spells available. For that reason I can't see why one would replace Black Tentacles or Fire Storm. The 'status' spells, like Contagion, as well as the save-or-die spells like Weird and Phantasmal Killer do seem a bit out of place, but there are so many other options for their given levels that they really end up being ways to easily pick off an annoying lesser bad guy(or intimidate weaker types).

Also, why replace Fist of Stone and yet later add Body of War? Body of War by its nature completely removes every ability a warmage was trained to use, and overall I don't see personal manipulation/transformation as a basic of war magic.

Dominic Ladon

First Post
Thank you for the comments. My response to your questions are as follows...

The reason I removed spells like Fire Storm and Evard's Black Tentacles was to merely keep the spell list balanced, while allowing the addition for other spells that seemed a little more appropriate for the Warmage.

The reason I added Body of War was that it would allow the Warmage to become a fighting destruction machine. The spell seems to be an upgrade from Tenser's Transformation, and that was why I included it.

And finally, it seems as though a Warmage wouldn't prepare spells just to knock off the annoying goblins in the background, like Wail of the Banshee and other spells of the like, especially if there are other spells that not only can cause the same effect, but could also be used for other purposes.

szilard

First Post
Overall, not bad.

I'd keep Evard's Black Tentacles and lose Call Lightning. The former is a key battlefield-control spell. The latter doesn't feel like a Warmage spell to me at all.

I probably would have kept Pyrotechnics (one of the few utility spells that the Warmage can use creatively), Fire Shield and Mass Fire Shield (there should be some defensive spells taught - and a Warmage's defense should be offensive), and Flame Arrow (Warmages can reasonably be expected to work with archers). I might have dropped Tenser's Transformation (and not given them Body of War) - or, alternatively, added some lower-level Transmutation/self-buffs.

Fire Storm is also a hard thing to lose. I might have kept that and lost Earthquake. At ninth level, I'd be tempted to give them that Black Blade spell out of the Spell Compendium.

-Stuart

Dominic Ladon

First Post
MODIFICATION #1

OK... Here is a modified list based on current comments and suggestions. There are only a few changes, but they are ones that I feel make sense. Please continue to give input, as I feel criticism is necessary to make a spell list that is balanced and fair. Thanks to those that have so far.

Attachments

• Warmage Spell List.xls
    23 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Dominic Ladon

First Post
Sorry for the Excel Attachment, I still need to learn how to put this info in the pane. Please take the time to check it out and comment. I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited:

szilard

First Post
It might help if you discussed the reasons for the changes you've made - or your responses to other comments. Then we could know what direction you're interested in going in with this.

In general, though, I'd let Warmages substitute out spells from their list for new spells published after Complete Arcane as long as the new spells were appropriate.

-Stuart

Dominic Ladon

First Post
In my first modification, my attempt was to take into account some of the suggestions made prior. I disagreed with the comment that a Warmage would not likely use transmutation. I feel that it is likely that a Warmage would make sure to have spells like Heroism, Tensers Transformation, and Body of War available, so that he could make himself a more worthy melee adversary if the necessity arose. Furthermore, I am sticking to the removal of Fire Storm and Fire Seeds, as they seem to be too "druidy" as someone previously wrote. I can't see a master of arcane warfare throwing an exploding acorn, I'm sorry, its just a weird picture. Secondly, the removal of Fire Storm was not to remove it all together, I chose to swap it out with freezing fog, because it does primarily the same effect, only it is cold damage and has some other status effects. I have also chosen to stick with the removal of Fire Shield as it doesnt seem flashy enough for a Warmage to choose to learn it. That is why I made sure to keep Wall of Ice and Fire, because they are grand flashy, and equally defensive and offensive. I see the Warmage as being an versatile offensive powerhouse, and I feel it is quite possible that a Warmage would have the "best defense is a good offense" mentality. With regards to being versatile, I noticed that a good percentage of the Warmages spells are Fire based, which is all good and dandy until you come across something immune to fire. I don't think that a Warmage would choose spells that would allow him/her to be put into that type of position. (i.e. the inclusion of spells with a variety of damage types). I also agreed that a Warmage wouldn't do divine damage, thus the removal of Flame Strike. Evard's Black Tentacles is a good spell, but it doesn't fit into any type of spell progression that the Warmage would be learning. The Warmage doesn't have Entangle, so it doesn't make sense to have Tentacles. Finally, I removed spells like Flame Arrow and Flame Blade for reasons previously mentioned. It is ONLY fire damage, and it isn't versatile enough for a Warmage to learn it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads