[Updated] Who's Playing What On Fantasy Grounds? Final Stats For 2016!

I've just received the latest usage statistics from the good folks over at the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop showing which game systems are being played on their system. The last set of stats from Fantasy Grounds were back in January, covering up to Q4 2106. This latest set runs through June 2017. So, what's changed? Not a lot as it happens. D&D 5E's share has increased from 58% to 62%, Pathfinder has drooped to 11%, Savage Worlds has increased to 7%, and D&D 3.5 has dropped from 6% to 4%, leaving Other Games to drop from 17% to 16%.

I've just received the latest usage statistics from the good folks over at the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop showing which game systems are being played on their system. The last set of stats from Fantasy Grounds were back in January, covering up to Q4 2106. This latest set runs through June 2017. So, what's changed? Not a lot as it happens. D&D 5E's share has increased from 58% to 62%, Pathfinder has drooped to 11%, Savage Worlds has increased to 7%, and D&D 3.5 has dropped from 6% to 4%, leaving Other Games to drop from 17% to 16%.

UPDATE - they sent me the wrong pie chart. This is the correct one. Updated notes, above.​

RulesetUsage2017Q2.png

RulesetUsage2014_17990_image001.png

RulesetTotal Games
5E331,744
PFRPG61,137
SavageWorlds36,082
3.5E24,061
CoreRPG11,497
4E10,510
Call Of Cthulhu9,186
Star Wars EotE8,313
GURPS5,153
MoreCore5,075
Iron Kingdoms4,818
DSA3,702
RolemasterClassic3,548
Castles and Crusades3,140
Numenera2,735
AD2,617
WH40K2,324
Fate Core1,803
Basic Roleplaying1,800
AD&D1,562
DCCRPG1,279
WHFRP1,223
VtM1,212
Shadowrun1,180
World of Darkness1,053
Grand Total536,754

SaveSave
SaveSave

SaveSave

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
As an aside, how is FG different from roll20?

I understand roll20 lets you play online (for free) - is FG similar to an upgraded roll20?

As an aside, how is FG different from roll20?

I understand roll20 lets you play online (for free) - is FG similar to an upgraded roll20?

No :)

Roll20 is a cloud or Software as a Service model. It uses a web browser and is hosted on web servers owned and controlled by the company. All your data is stored on the Roll20 Servers and it is easy for anyone to connect and use their application since it runs in a web browser. This means you are reliant upon Roll20 to not go out of business or change their model.

Fantasy Grounds is a traditional application that is installed on each computer (client-server architecture). The GM/DM runs and hosts the game on their own computer, all the data is stored on the GM/DM computer. But the host has to be able to allow players to connect to their computer. This sometimes causes problems but can be resolved in many ways, worse case is use of a VPN application like Hamachi.

They both also have different interfaces and customization models as well as different approaches to how they are used. Though they both do many things similarly. There are two comparison charts I can recommend;
- http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...fferent-versions-of-Fantasy-Grounds-vs-Roll20
- http://battlegroundsgames.com/vtt-comparison-chart/

Oh, the other thing, though I've heard many people only use the free version of Roll20, most GMs that I know that use it say that one of the paid versions is almost mandatory if you GM.

Hussar

Legend
If you're using the paid version of Roll20, the price difference isn't all that much to be honest.

I'd have to give the edge to Roll20 for features to be honest though. While FG is VERY DM friendly, the interface is ... lacking (no tabbed windows, very little ability to change around your interface at all and mapping tools that are straight out of 2002). Roll20 definitely is the better play experience, IMO. OTOH, the fact that FG has everything built right into it, it's a breeze to run as a DM. You can prep incredibly fast.

Depends on exactly what you expect.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
If you're using the paid version of Roll20, the price difference isn't all that much to be honest.

I would disagree on the price since you will pay for the sub for roll20 until you stop, ie it has an infinite cost. While with FG the most you have to pay for the main program is $150 if you need to get the ultimate.

I'll also add that I like the FG community better than what I've experienced on Roll20's forums. Plus you can't even mention competitors at ALL, what is up with that.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Two data points I find incredibly interesting about that:
1) D&D 3.5 is out-performing D&D 4E. I would have expected most 3.5 fans to have moved to PFRPG, by now.
2) Savage Worlds is the third most popular system. Not to knock it (it actually looks like a great system), but I would have expected it to be in with the other indie games; maybe on the upper end, but not that far ahead. I wonder if it's something about the sample set.

I wouldn't even think that Savage Worlds would be in with other Indie games as it's far too established and too large of a footprint. It's been around for quite a while, has had several licensed conversions of settings. The Savage RIFTS being one of the more popular and newest of the batch.

Reynard

Legend
I wouldn't even think that Savage Worlds would be in with other Indie games as it's far too established and too large of a footprint. It's been around for quite a while, has had several licensed conversions of settings. The Savage RIFTS being one of the more popular and newest of the batch.

In case anyone is wondering, Savage Rifts is not offcially on FG. I amagine there are some fan made extensions and modules, though.

Matchstick

Adventurer
I would disagree on the price since you will pay for the sub for roll20 until you stop, ie it has an infinite cost. While with FG the most you have to pay for the main program is $150 if you need to get the ultimate.

I'll also add that I like the FG community better than what I've experienced on Roll20's forums. Plus you can't even mention competitors at ALL, what is up with that.

This is a good point, I'd always rather pay a flat fee than a subscription fee.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads