• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Updating the Scytheclaw Drake

Bungo_Underhill

First Post
So I want to MM3-ise my Scytheclaw Drakes for an encounter I'm running soon. My question to you is how best to balance this.

The Scytheclaws as written have an at will that does 1d8+5 & knocks prone or 2d8+5 and 5 ongoing vs prone targets.

They also have a 4+ recharge power that triggers of them hitting with their at will that lets them move and do the at will again (against the same target if they wish).

(They’ve also got an opportunity attack against prone opponents that stops them standing up)

I'd like to keep the symmetry between the damage rolls, and keep them balanced in the new guidelines

The new guidelines suggest damage should average out at 18 low damage would be 13.5 and high 22.5-27.

I was thinking of having their at will do d12+7 normally (13.5 avg) and 2d12+7 plus 7 ongoing against proned enemies (20 average + 7 ongoing)

Does this seem well balanced?

Thanks for your input!

Pelenor

Explorer
I'm not where I can look at or crunch the numbers. But I agree with sentiment. I'm running an adventure for my group that uses the older monster building numbers. It's looking like I may have to rebuild most of those monsters with the new numbers and I'm not looking forward to it. It's made even worse if you consider that at least in the first MM WotC didn't even use their own guidelines to build some of the monsters.

keterys

First Post
That's too much damage against a prone creature with spring step - it'd be about 50 damage (4d12+14+ongoing 7). Even if it's not prone to start, it'd be 3d12+14+ongoing 7, which is over 40 damage, and the target you're looking for is a lot lower than that.

Though if you change Spring Step to be allowed on a different target, then you're mostly fine.

I will say - 2d8+5+ongoing 5 is roughly 22 damage, which is _already_ following the MM2 High damage. You may really not need to do much with this guy.

Remove ads