Upward from Land's End

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
Understanding about where they are and thinking of no reason not to report back to Asylim concerning their current assignment, the Sojourners attempt to make a straight path back to the city. As they are preparing to depart, Sprthnt places a hand on the arm of Cormorant. “You are actually from Asylim. Do we want to discuss this strange occurrence with the Da’Roneh or should we just let that go?”

Cormorant presses his tongue against the inside of his left cheek as he considers the question. “I am thinking that the concern is about if this will cause conflict between Molo Pesce and another Magister and if that conflict might create hostility toward us as the messenger?” He paused for a few seconds before attempting to continue.

Britta clasps his wrist and interjects her thoughts. “We only know one Magister, and he approached us. It is a good chance that this information can bolster a measure of trust that will be to our edvantage.”

Kuwaia touches Sprthnt and gives an almost imperceptable nod. Sprthnt says, “Okay, we will brooch the subject.”
OOC: 55, 83

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Cycle: 498: Season: Rebirth. Day: 54
Increasing their walking time, the Sojourners are able to cross the sand in four days, arriving outside of the Eastern Gate on the evening of the fourth day, a few hours before dark. Swordsmen and javelineers stationed around the caravan staging area approach the party in a threatening manner when noticed. The encouraged pompous attitude of the guards is quickly stifled. Cormorante still wears the uniform of a javelineer, and the sarcastic words from Sprthnt and look of the remaining party members convinces the guards that they are outmatched.

Sprthnt motions for a runner and Cormorante hands him the special coin that was given to him by Molo Pesce. The runner departs, the guards return to their posts, and the party is able to converse with other caravaners outside of the gate.

It is almost another hour before the runner returns with a message and returns the coin. “I am to lead you to him. Follow me.”

The party enters the gate and quickly passes through the Harbor District and are not even questioned as they reach the egress point into the Artisan District. The guards there merely nod. Crossing the Artisan District brings the party to the Brewer District, which none has seen. Having little knowledge of the world at large but seeing that only Cormorante is in uniform, the guards think that the party is composed of three Ansylins and two Shimadows and make the gesture for a pass coin. Seeing the unique coin presented by Cormorante, the guards salute the party and allow them to enter.

Being on a specific mission, there is no time to sightsee and the party quickly crosses to the Guildmaster District. This is the area where the guildmasters live rather than work. The structures here are far better and more decorative than anything in the other known districts. The runner leads the party to a small gazebo surrounded by a flower garden in the center of the district where Molo Pesce is waiting. He is not accompanied by guards. He nods in acknowledgement to the party.
Cormorante: full wellness
Tunic: 57
Britta: full wellness
Tunic: 58 - 1 = 57
Arrows: 18: ularin
Sprthnt: full wellness.
Tunic: 59
Kuwaia: full wellness
Tunic: 51 - 1 = 50
Cina: full wellness
Tunic: 58
Arrows: 20 - 2 = 18: ularin
Coins: 3113 clams
wallaby hide: 40 cover: 32 value

berserker: 2: 10 per measure
bliss: 1: ??
deadly seeds: 1: {Impede x3}: 10 per measure
helplessness: 1: {Impede x3}: 10 per measure
serenity: 1: {Impede x3}: 10 per measure
soothe: 7: {Identity x2}: 1 per measure
tranquility: 10: 2 per measure

coal: 6: {heat x3}
amberstone: 1: {compulsion x3}: 20 clams
azurestone: 3: 20 clams
emberstone: 4: {compulsion x2}: 10 clams each
firestone: 2: (Health & Confluence +3): 50 clams
grapestone: 3: 20 clams each
jade: 1: 20 clams
ruddystone: 2: 10 clams each
shadestone: 1: 20 clams
sulfur: 6: {heat x 4}{Ionize x 4}
twilightstone: 1: 50 clams

aluminum: 1: {electrocute x3}: 5 clams
chromium: 8: {compulsion x3}: 10 clams each
manganese: 1: {leech x3}
nickel: 2: {electrocute x4}: 10 clams each
molybdenum: 10: {compulsion or electrocute x4}: 15 clams each
zinc: 1: {restore x3}
Da’Roneh Village
Land’s End Pass: Tranquility Cluster

Artisan Caravan: Vyerbluth: Caravan Master

Salt Caravan: Mishka: Caravan Master
OOC: Each of the characters receives 5 DP. State nominal actions and intentions and provide 2 random rolls.

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
When Molo Pesce nods, Cormorant and Sprthnt simultaneously imitate the salute that they had seen the guards give them. Both instinctively offered the gesture to build rapport. Neither has any reason to be afraid of a Magister. The girls stand still. Cormorant defers to Sprthnt like he had with Antapkos, who is much more comfortable talking. Sprthnt frowns and gestures. “We were not able to find much in the way of useful plant material, but we did find some.”

Cina offers the small bags holding the soothe and the tranquility. “This one here, we know as tranquility. There was enough of it that it could be continually collected, probably each season, but it was not a very large cluster.”

Sprthnt rubs his thumbs against his forefingers. “There is another matter that I am not sure exactly how to relate. We discovered a community of Da’Roneh in an area of the Pass where caravans are frequently attacked. We were overpowered by our third encounter with them, but they did not kill us. They recognized us as being from here. They have information on the banners that identify each caravan and hinted at having contact with one of the Magisters. I suspect that is not you. We were reticent to bring this to you because we suspect that the implications could be catastrophic.”
OOC: 55, 83

MacConnell

Cycle: 498: Season: Rebirth. Day: 54
Cormorante: 36(coerce) + 39(muddle) + 83(d100) = 158
Britta: 53 + 45(enthrall) + 83 = 181
Sprthnt: 52 + 34(muddle) + 83 = 169
Kuwaia: 45 + 45(allure) + 83 = 173
Cina: 44 + 54 + 83 = 181
Magister Pesce clenches his fist as Sprthnt conveyed the information. A ripple runs over his skin like it does on Cormorant or Kuwaia when preparing for battle, but the ripple is far more pronounced. He visibly calmed himself before he spoke. “Yes this news is very… irritating, but I am not a kill the messenger type of person. I have an idea who might be behind this, but that is something for me to handle. For you, you did right. Leave the Crows alone, but if you find yourselves with a caravan, again, you will be prepared.”

He takes a deep breath and rubs his thumbs against his forefingers. “I never go straight at an issue even though I could. I do not want an enemy to have time to prepare defenses. What I need to do, and you are already helping me, is to generate more avenues of trade. Salt gets heavy to carry, but I have a good trade between here and Boga City. These herbs are a better strategy but they can be difficult to locate. You, well five now since two of the Shimadows seem to have been replaced with the Centrin Female, seem to have some talent. Yes, I am well aware that you are not what you seem, but I do not care. The Amiradthae promulgate the bias as a means of population control. I prefer less subversive methods.”

I will pay you double for the herbs that you have, but that is still very little coin. If you wish to continue working for me, my suggestion is to follow the Crystal River, maybe it will be more productive than the Pass. Herbs weigh nothing. They would make an excellent trade item, but I need willing prospectors to find them, prospectors with… talent. What say you?”
Tunic: 50
Coins: 3113 clams

soothe: 7: {Identity x2}: 1 per measure
tranquility: 10: 2 per measure

coal: 6: {heat x3}
amberstone: 1: {compulsion x3}: 20 clams

nickel: 2: {electrocute x4}: 10 clams each
Da’Roneh Village

OOC: Each of the characters receives 5 DP. State nominal actions and intentions and provide 2 random rolls.

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
The party members exchange looks with one another, recognizing the visual representation of a mystical augmentation in Molo Pesce. Sprthnt then speaks. “Thanks for the compensation. We can see no reason why we should even consider to end our employment with you. We can begin our exploration of the Crystal River in the morning.”

The rest of the party nods in agreement, and Cina adds, as she points toward the direction by which the party had arrive. “I guess we should make our way back outside. Hopefully the river area will hold more useful plants. It should.”
OOC: 58, 86

MacConnell

Cycle: 498: Season: Rebirth. Day: 55
Cormorante: 31(observation) + 58, 86(d100) = 89, 117
Britta: 50 + 45(tuning) + 58, 86 = 153, 181
Sprthnt: 50 + 58, 86 = 108, 136
Kuwaia: 41(perception) + 45(smell) + 58, 86 = 144, 172
Cina: 41 + 54 + 58, 86 = 153, 181
It takes most of the first day to walk beyond the shallow bay where the mouth of the Crystal River empties and give rise to the vast marsh on its western side. The remainder of the day follows beside a more definitive looking river that begins to completely clear, which gives it its name. Vegetation is prevalent near the water, and marsh grasses give way to differing vegetation and the presence of trees, the farther inland one travels. As their particular skills are more suited to hunting, Cormorante and Sprthnt collect a few fruits during the day, and Sprthnt discovers a strange looking shrub that Cina recognizes as Itchweed, and advises him not to touch it.

Later in the afternoon, once the river has almost cleared, Sprthnt notices a shiny rock in the water. Once retrieved it is recognized as an Amberstone, which has a little commercial value. Kuwaia finds a shiny white stone that never seems to feel dry, which is recognized as Slickstone.

As evening is nearing and the party is desiring to make camp, Britta and Cina, simultaneously recognize a small cluster of fruit bearing trees and recommend the place for making camp. This far south, plants bear fruit throughout the cycle, though the cluster could probably produce an entire cart worth of fruit, it is not enough to warrant formal collections. It should be a good location to set snares.

At one point, Britta notices a black shiny rock that proves to be a brick of coal, when retrieved. She also discovers a brick of Magnesium, which should produce 8 ingots, and later discovers a brick of nickel, which should also produce 8 ingots.

IMG_0199.jpeg
Coins: 3167 clams

coal: 7 bricks: {heat x3}: 5 clams each
amberstone: 2: {compulsion x3}: 20 clams
slickstone: 1: {Insulate x3}: 20 clams

magnesium: 8: 5 clams each
nickel: 10: {electrocute x4}: 10 clams each
Da’Roneh Village

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
The party makes camp in the cluster of fruit trees near the river’s edge, collecting some of the fruit to eat. Cormorant and Sprthnt set out some snares. “I think I will also do some hunting while it is still light.”

Cormorant responds. “I do not have the talent to take an animal at a distance without a weapon, like you can. I think I will bathe in the river.” Britta joins him.

Cina says, “I will join you on the hunt. As clear as this river is becoming, I do not mind bathing after dark or in the morning. It will be nice to bathe, again though, after all of that sand.” Kuwaia waves an acceptance and acknowledgement to Cina. She intends to bathe, as well, but does not specifically join Cormorant and Britta, as she is enamored with Sprthnt.
OOC: 61, 89

MacConnell

Cycle: 498: Season: Rebirth. Day: 55
Cormorante: 31(snare) + 61, 89(d100) = 92, 120
Sprthnt: 51 + 61, 89 = 112, 140
Sprthnt: 51(hunting) + 45(hearing) + 61, 89(d100) = 157, 185
Cina: 41(perception) + 54(smell) + 61, 89 = 156, 184
In the snares that Cormorante sets, a coney is captured in one, but nothing is caught in the other. In the snares that Sprthnt sets, a raccoon is captured in one and something breaks the other. When hunting, Cina shoots a running bird and Sprthnt comes across a small herd of swine and brings one down. Both Cina and Sprthnt come across the same herd of much larger swine, but there is no reason to attempt to take down one of those. The majority of the meat would be wasted. It is amazing how much wildlife is crowded into such a narrow band of landscape.

Da’Roneh Village

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
Cormorant cleans his coney and discards the innards into the river for the fish to eat. He carries the hide a short distance out of the tress, leaving in the desert sand. He then puts the carcass on a spit over some burning embers and returns to river, himself, to clean up and enjoy the company of Britta. Sprthnt and Cina return with their game, letting the others know that they have returned. Cina cleans the running bird and discards the innards as Cormorant had. She also carries the inedible parts out into the desert, like Cormorant, then helps Sprthnt finish cleaning his swine.

Sprthnt says, “This is a pretty good amount of meat. We should take the time to cure for carry and the hide as well. Surely we can afford to spend another day here.” He then specifically says to Kuwaia, “Looks like it will be passed dark before I can clean up and join you.”
OOC: 64, 52

MacConnell

Cycle: 498: Season: Rebirth. Day: 59
Cormorante: 31(observe) + 64(hearing) + 64, 52(d100) = 159, 147
Britta: 50 + 45(tuning) + 64, 52 = 159, 147
Sprthnt: 50(perception) + 47(hearing) + 64, 52 = 159, 147
Kuwaia: 41 + 45(smell) + 64, 52 = 150, 138
Cina: 45 + 54 + 64, 52 = 163, 151
Preparing the meat and even the hide is a simple matter and the Sojourners are able to relax for a couple of days while the meat is being desiccated over smoke and fire to preserve it for longer use. Once back on trail, another two days of following the river not only brings the party into a fairly large oasis but also into a completely unexpected, civilized community of Shimadows.

The community is centered around the river, which is about the center of the oasis. The oasis is composed of a few different species of palms and other fruit bearing trees, clusters of various flowering shrubs, and grasses along the river’s edge. The locals are amazed that Sprthnt does not speak their language, but Cormorante does. Even true Shimadows cannot see that Sprthnt is not one of their own, inquiring of Cormorante, who is forced to speak for the party, if he had been born and abandoned by the nomadic Haunts. The locals know of Asylim, but they do not have any established trade or even communication with the southern city.

IMG_0200.jpeg
Light Hides: 100 cover: Hinder 3/10 cover, Deflect 4, Soak 2: value 6/10 cover

Crystal Oasis: Shimadow village
Dragon’s Footprint: Da’Roneh village
Land’s End Pass: Tranquility cluster

Remove ads