• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urban Arcana Incantations

aurin777

First Post
What are they? I don't have the Urban Arcana book but people seem to rant and rave about them so much it has made me curious. People say it is the only reason to actually purchase the book. Can someone explain it to me?
~~Brandon

Skinwalker

First Post
Incantations are spells that can be cast by anyone, regardless of class, level, or caster abilities. They are often time consuming rituals that take multiple people to accomplish and a string of successful skill checks with really high DCs.

I have a player in my campaign that is hot to try them out. I dunno, though. They strike me as a lot like the epic magic from Epic Handbook. Some people like epic magic, but I'm not one of them.

One point in the favor of Incantations, though: Because of the stringent requirement that can be added to them, I think they would fit great into CoC, representing ancient magic of the type best left alone.

Other than that bit of flavor, I think it has a lot of potential abuse - no limitations on casting per day, for one.

Pagan priest

First Post
Skinwalker said:
They are often time consuming rituals that take multiple people to accomplish and a string of successful skill checks with really high DCs.

Other than that bit of flavor, I think it has a lot of potential abuse - no limitations on casting per day, for one.

Given the time factors and the difficulties involved, I don't think you need to worry about having too many incantations popped off in a single day. Strength wise, most of the incantations listed in the book are more like the spells from D&D that were above 5th level and therefore not available to d20M classes otherwise.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Personally I'd like to see incantatons for low level spells. To represent the type of stuff those teenage wiccans in movies and stories always try to do.

Like a feather weight spell or "invoking the spirit" or wind walk, or alter self, etc etc.

JoeCrow

Explorer
Yeah, I'm really hoping the incantation system makes it to the Modern SRD sometime soon. It's a pretty versatile system, and it's actually my favorite d20 system skill-based magic system. Pity it's still closed.

Anybody else notice that it seems to be (partly) based on the Epic spell seed system?

Remove ads