• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urban Campaign Books

Uzzy

First Post
Hey guys.

I've been thinking about a city based campaign recently, and I was wondering what sort of books you'd recommend for such a campaign? Either sourcebooks or really good adventures in urban settings. I'm already getting Ptolus, so don't need to recommend that one. ;) Any source is good, be it WoTC, Paizo (Dragon/Dungeon or Gamesmastery) or other 3rd Party company.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Crothian

First Post
Are you looking for a city already built or do you want books that enhance cities? There are a lot of good city books like Freeport, Bluffside, the Quarter books, Thieves World city of Sanctuary, etc. M?any of those books offer cool locations that you can steal and place in other cities.

Rechan

Adventurer
Sharn: City of Towers is nice, but it's huge, and there's no index.

Hollowfaust is a nice little place too, if you want something a little different. Desert city run by neutral necromancers.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I STRONGLY recommend Five Fingers: Port of Deceit, by Privateer Press. It won a bunch of ENnies, and with good reason... it's superb!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
WotC's Cityscape has a lot of nice pieces for a DM who's new to running cities. It also has a very handy list of common NPC stat blocks (warriors, fighters, etc, at different levels).

Whimsical

Explorer
You may already have a couple of good sourcebooks already.

I recommend that you read the Urban Adventures section in the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide, pg. 98. It has some good insight and game elements for running adventures in an urban setting. It also has a "wandering encounter" table, each entry being an example of an above-ground scenario or adventure seed.

Here is some technique from another post about creating urban adventures.
The first thing to do is background work. Who are the movers and shakers, and what do they have going on, who are they allied with, and who opposes them. I generally make up about 20 frontline groups the PCs are likely to encounter. From Dwarven supremiscists up to the town guard.
Make templates of characters from various groups so you can throw one in with almost no notice.
Draw up stand alone maps for stock locations. You know, for instance, that the players are going to go into a seedy bar. Plan for it.
Make a list of names. When you need a name, grab it off the list. Note who you gave it to, and why they're important.
Now the fun part...

Urban adventures occur in vignettes. Don't put together an overarching adventure. Do short scenes. Like this:
The PCs are on top of a building (or somewhere else they can't leave quickly) see a richly dressed woman forced into a carriage, and the carriage leaves in a hurry.
Make a book of about thirty vignettes. You'll only use about five a game, but you want to have ones appropriate for any situation the characters find themselves in readily at hand. Replace them between games.
Keep track of the enemies they make.
Throw the PCs into the chaos. They'll start drawing connections. It's human nature. They couldn't avoid it if they wanted to.
Take their most evil ideas about "what's really going on", and incorperate them. But add a twist so that they *almost* figured out what was going on, but are still suprised. (Shoot for the reaction "I should have seen that coming!")

You're flying fast and loose, so have a prop to buy time when you need it. Something to drink works well, since you can't drink and talk at the same time, and since you're talking a lot, your throat will get dry.
He goes into greater detail in follow-up posts.

Uzzy

First Post
Yeah, I've already got a city in mind. Westgate, in the Forgotten Realms. I'm just looking for sourcebooks that can help me flesh out the area, give me ideas.

That Port of Deceit sourcebook looks quite interesting. Westgate is a port city too, and rather corrupt and dark, so that sourcebook might fit well. Thanks for the info guys!

WarRabbit

Explorer
Ptolus by Monte Cook is excellent. It's a huge book and hard to find for sale in print still (though possible you just have to look around a bit). The book describe is great detail the city of Ptolus, it's most important inhabitants, and includes adventures for getting from 1st to 20th level in and around the Ptolus environs. Here's the link for the PDF:

http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Ptolus

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads