• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urgent: Gaseous Form Question

anon

First Post
The description of Gaseous Form indicates that Supernatural abilities are LOST.

What happens to Supernatural effects that are already in effect? Are they lost? Suppressed? Dispelled?

For example, if a druid Wild Shapes into an animal, then goes gaseous, what happens?

anon

First Post
Invisible Pixie

Another example question, if a Pixie turns Invisible, then turns Gaseous, does the Invisilibity drop? Is it suppressed?

Yet if the Pixie has someone else cast Invisibility on the Pixie the Invisilibity stays even while the Pixie is Gaseous?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
anon said:
The description of Gaseous Form indicates that Supernatural abilities are LOST.

What happens to Supernatural effects that are already in effect? Are they lost? Suppressed? Dispelled?

For example, if a druid Wild Shapes into an animal, then goes gaseous, what happens?

Given that it says that "The subject also loses all supernatural abilities while in gaseous form." I'd say that these naturally and instantly come to an end when the subject enters gaseous form, unless they'd normally continue without the character's doing anything. For example, a wildshaped druid would automatically turn back to his natural form when gaseous. However, a bard that was using inspire courage would still have the effect linger for 5 rounds after done singing, even if gaseous for some of those five rounds.

A pixie's invisibility (IIRC that is supernatural) would be ended by being gaseous, however invisibility cast as a spell by someone else would remain, since then it's a spell and not a supernatural ability.

anon

First Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "unless they'd normally continue without the character's doing anything".

A druid's Wild Shape, or a Pixie's Invisibility, will both continue regardless of what the character's state is (short of dead), or what they do (excepting of course attacking in the case of invisibility). Correct?

Is it possible that the gaseous form restriction was meant to stop the activation of (Su) effects, but not suppress already existing effects?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
anon said:
Is it possible that the gaseous form restriction was meant to stop the activation of (Su) effects, but not suppress already existing effects?
I don't think so. They explicitly say you don't lose your ability to assume gaseous form. If only activation were stopped, that exception would not be needed. (Obviously they're not talking about activation, because it's useless to turn gaseous if you already are.)

The implication is that without that exception, your (Su) gaseous ability would stop functioning. By extension, all other (Su) abilities do stop.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
srd said:
The subject also loses supernatural abilities while in gaseous form. If it has a touch spell ready to use, that spell is discharged harmlessly when the gaseous form spell takes effect.
The spell description for Gaseous Form specifically notes that a touch spell is not merely inaccessible while in gaseous form, but that the spell itself is discharged. To me, this indicates that the same intent is present in the previous statement about Supernatural Abilities. They aren't merely inaccessible while in gaseous form, active abilities are actually ended by the change.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
anon said:
So, if a Vampire assumes Gaseous Form he loses all of the minnions he has Dominated?
Domination is not an effect on the Vampire, but on the one who's been Dominated. So those he's dominated remain so, though he cannot dominate any others while in gaseous form.

moritheil

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Domination is not an effect on the Vampire, but on the one who's been Dominated. So those he's dominated remain so, though he cannot dominate any others while in gaseous form.

So by that reasoning I'm immune to beholder rays (which are a Su effect on me) while gaseous. Hrm.

And is the beholder antimagic cone a Su ability? Am I immune to that too?

Remove ads