D&D General US Postal Service Releases D&D Stamps

The United States Postal Service announced a set of Dungeons & Dragons stamps. From the announcement: Dungeons & Dragons This stamp release marks the 50th anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons, described by its owners as the World’s Greatest Role-playing Game, that has become a cultural phenomenon. By inviting participants to imagine themselves as wizards, warriors and other adventurers...

The United States Postal Service announced a set of Dungeons & Dragons stamps.

dungeons-dragons.jpg

From the announcement:

Dungeons & Dragons
This stamp release marks the 50th anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons, described by its owners as the World’s Greatest Role-playing Game, that has become a cultural phenomenon. By inviting participants to imagine themselves as wizards, warriors and other adventurers in exciting and treacherous fantasy worlds, Dungeons & Dragons opened doors to whole new universes of creativity for generations of players. The pane of 20 stamps features 10 different designs that highlight characters, creatures and encounters familiar to players of the game. Greg Breeding, an art director for USPS, designed the stamps and pane with existing illustrations.

Other stamps announced as part of the 2024 release schedule include a stamp dedicated to UCLA basketball coach John Wooden, a ten-stamp set celebrating carnivals, and a set of 16 stamps featuring art from American landscape artist Ansel Adams.

The stamps will be available for sale in select post offices and online at the USPS store.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

USA forever? Is that on every American stamp?
Hmm, never thought of it before but I can see now how that might look, um...weird, to a foreigner. It used to be that forever stamps were more expensive than standard stamps but they were equal to a standard postage stamp no matter what the price was, thus forever. Eventually we did away with standard stamps and now they're all forever stamps. That's why there's no denomination on them.

It was annoying to have a bunch of 10 cent stamps when standard postage had been raised to 12 cents. You'd either have to put two 10 cent stamps on your letter and waste 8 cents, or go down to the post office and buy some 1 cent stamps.

These gave me a weird thought. Was Playing by Post (as in "By PHYSICAL Post") ever a thing? If so, how well did it work? I know many folks STILL play Chess by mail (the US Chess Fed. even sells postcards.). These seem like the perfect stamps for that use case, if it actually exists.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
These gave me a weird thought. Was Playing by Post (as in "By PHYSICAL Post") ever a thing? If so, how well did it work? I know many folks STILL play Chess by mail (the US Chess Fed. even sells postcards.). These seem like the perfect stamps for that use case, if it actually exists.
It does still exist. I'm not sure how well it worked. Imagine an ENWorld play by post thread, but slowed down by trips to the post office, which also provides another incentive for players to drop out. (And people drop out plenty when it's just on a message board.)

That said, there are still play by mail games that have been going since the 1980s, so someone's playing in them.

To Clarify: Forever Stamps here in the US means that they always hold value, even if the cost of individual stamps go up. A Forever stamp is always worth the base value of a standard letter.

Remove ads

Remove ads