• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Use Magic Device question

Malin Genie

First Post
What happens when a caster with the Use Magic Device skill attempts to use a scroll beyond her caster level, but does actually have some caster levels to start with?

For example, Griselda is a 5th level bard with a +12 Use Magic Device Modifier. She attempts to read an arcane scroll of Dimension Door at Caster Level 10. Normally that would give her a 25% failure chance.

Now, my understanding of what would happen if she used the UMD skill is:

If she rolled an 18 (+12 =30), she would emulate CL10, and the scroll would be able to be read successfully.

If she rolled a 16 (+12 =28), I assume that she would still get to read the scroll, but as she only emulates CL 8, she has a 10% chance of misreading.

If she rolls a 10 (+12 =22), she emulates CL2, but because her own actual caster level is higher, she still only has a 25% chance of misreading the scroll.

If she rolls a 1 (+12 =13), she fails by lots, but still only has a 25% chance of misreading because of her own caster level.

Is this correct?

That's a good question.

I think the RAW would support an either / or choice - as in, you can try to read it using your "natural" ability, and thus your own spellcaster level, or you could try to "wing it" - using the more volatile UMD skill.

You would take the penalties and bonuses associated with each.

cordell

First Post
yeah, rules as written, there is no advantage to having actual caster levels.

It seems intuitive to me, however, than a Bard with UMD +12 and a Rogue with UMD +12 should be treated a little differently.

I suppose you could house-rule the UMD skill, to read something like "the amount that the roll exceeds 20 is added to the caster level of the user". A rogue, with a total score of 28 would still be treated the same, CL 8 (original caster level of 0, plus 8), but the Bard would be treated as CL 13 (original caster level of 5 plus 8).

At first glance, with this house rule, it now seems too easy for the Bard. But then again, the bard is only trying to cast a scroll a few levels higher than his own level.

YMMV

Glyfair

Explorer
cordell said:
It seems intuitive to me, however, than a Bard with UMD +12 and a Rogue with UMD +12 should be treated a little differently.

I'm inclined, for simplicity's sake, to leave it as is. After all, the Bard does have an overall advantage - he has a chance to cast a scroll higher than his level without using Use Magic Device. He can just choose whichever chance is better.

Remove ads