• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Use Magic Device

Abstraction

First Post
frankthedm said:
WANDS

...A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole.

Hmm, according the same style of twisted logic being used so far, I think I can interpret that I can swallow my wand and still use it! Yes, I swallow the wand of Cure Light!

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Another interpretation is that there is no one specific word to activate any particular spell trigger device. Hyp is correct in that it's not actually a command word in the defined game term sense.

My main objection is the idea that all wands of CLW, no matter where, when, or in what dimension they are created, all use exactly the same word to activate it. That is to unbelieveable for me to accept, even with magic. (Unless you posit a world with a universal arcane language, but that's not core D&D.)

However, it's not specified that it is any particular word for each type of spell trigger item. It's also not specified that has to be the same word for each user of any particular spell trigger item.

It could be a different word for each user, or even each time it is used. Whatever word seems appropriate to whoever is activating the wand at the moment.

By that interpretation, all that's really required is having the spell on your spell list and the ability to speak. You don't suddenly "know" the word, the word is whatever you decide it is. It's just a tool to help you channel the magic of the wand.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Caliban said:
My main objection is the idea that all wands of CLW, no matter where, when, or in what dimension they are created, all use exactly the same word to activate it. That is to unbelieveable for me to accept, even with magic. (Unless you posit a world with a universal arcane language, but that's not core D&D.)

Despite the fact that someone from no matter where, when, or what dimension can recognise a Quickened Cure Light Wounds being cast with a spellcraft check in time to counterspell it? :)

-Hyp.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. It's more complicated than I thought.

Issues of command words aside (and I personally think that any user of a wand could come up with their own),
the player in question is an artificer. So not only does he have to UMD to activate blindly, he has to UMD to emulate having the spell in question on his class list. UMD does not let you emulate the full spell list of a wizard--you can only emulate one spell at a time.

Ben

DMG Using Items:
Spell Trigger: "... and a single word that must be spoken".
Command Word: If no activation method is suggested either in the magic item description or by the nature of the item, assume that a command word is needed to activate it.
PHB Combat Section: Activate Magic Item: Spell Trigger, Command Word or Use-Activated Items.

Wands are Spell Trigger items, not Command Word items.

Create Wand doesn't even mention "a single word", certainly not a Command Word.

So the "single word that must be spoken" might be anything, unrelated to the wand. Like "Boom" or "Heal" or "Whatever". You can decide on a new word each time you use the wand. This also means that if you are unable to speak (a single word), you can't use wands.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
I agree with those who say that there's nothing in the rules which says that all CLW wands in the universe share the same activation word, and there's nothing in the rules which says that they don't, and there's nothing in the rules which says that a specific wand couldn't be activated with more than word.

I suppose it's up to the DM.

Hypersmurf said:
Despite the fact that someone from no matter where, when, or what dimension can recognise a Quickened Cure Light Wounds being cast with a spellcraft check in time to counterspell it? :)

Eh but this doesn't really shed light on wands. For spells, there's the same obscurity in the rules: how do we know that everyone casting CLW says the same words and makes the same gestures?

Actually it could be argued that Spellcraft is a CHECK exactly because of that: you see someone shouting "Open sesame" and drawing a triangle in the air, and you understand it's a Knock spell; next time it's "Abracadabra" and a circle but it's still Knock, that's why you need another roll. If everyone always needed the same words & gestures, why shouldn't it be automatic if you know the spell?

I'm not saying that wands should necessarily have this extra problem, and in fact we always just assumed you can use the wand when you know which spell it has, with no extra knowledge needed. I'm just saying that the rules are vague enough so that anyone can support one point or its opposite.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.

I'm not really interested in playing the "try to make the other guy look stupid by asking loaded questions" game Hyp.

If you disagree, please just say so.

Last edited:

Lamoni

First Post
brendan candries said:
So the "single word that must be spoken" might be anything, unrelated to the wand. Like "Boom" or "Heal" or "Whatever". You can decide on a new word each time you use the wand. This also means that if you are unable to speak (a single word), you can't use wands.
This is sort of how I see it... the person who casts cure light wounds can use his special word for casting it. Nowhere in the rules does it say that the verbal component of a spell is necessarily the same for all people. In fact, that wouldn't make sense in a world with so many languages unless every magic user also learned the common language of magic too. What about intelligent creatures who are incapable of making the correct sounds?

Anyway, a word is needed so if you are mute I guess you can't use a wand. The only requirement listed is having the spell on your list though. So if a froglike creature with a croaking language made the wand, you could still use it without needing to croak to activate it. :)

Kapalen

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.

If all you had to know was the word, you wouldn't have to make the check everytime it was cast. You'd remember it. The check shows taht you know what a spell looks/sounds/or even smells like. Possibly feels like if you make the check after your saving throw.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kapalen said:
The check shows taht you know what a spell looks/sounds/or even smells like.

But you can identify the spell that is being cast before it comes into effect. It's the casting that you're recognising, not the spell itself.

-Hyp.

Remove ads