• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Use of Sneak Attack while Raging?

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
"While raging, a barbarian cannot use skills or abilities that require patience and concentration"

Does a sneak attack qualify as an ability that requires patience and concentration?

"Sneak Attack: Any time the rogue's target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks the target, the rogue's attack deals extra damage"

It doesn't say that the rogue prepares his sneak attack one way or the other. Sneak attack is more of a result of the situation of the defender...

So, yes, a raging barbarian could use his sneak attacks if he caught the defender flat-footed or was flanking him.

Maitre D

Xarlen

First Post
Here we go again. ;)

Yes, a barbarian can. Unless your DM says no.

Example: Can a Barbarian shoot a bow, while raged? Shooting a bow takes atleast some meanial sense of concentration, aiming, and skill to fire. Not just swinging a sword willy-nilly. But, there are no weapon stipulations regarding a Barbarian.

IceBear

Explorer
Like Xarlen said, this was debated to DEATH before and I believe designer and the Sage were consulted. Bottom line, raging isn't mindless beserking, so you could sneak attack.

IceBear

Hollywood

First Post
Xarlen said:

I am the DM. :) And I asked because I was torn.... and please, no referencese to Natalie Imbrulia [or however its spelled].

Example: Can a Barbarian shoot a bow, while raged? Shooting a bow takes atleast some meanial sense of concentration, aiming, and skill to fire. Not just swinging a sword willy-nilly. But, there are no weapon stipulations regarding a Barbarian.

Well using a sword effectively in combat takes concentration too. I think that "patience" is more the key word than concentration, otherwise to me the raging would just make him less effective in combat at hitting things and doing damage rather than more just as AC gets less effective.

But thanks for all the comments folks.

Magic Rub

First Post
Xarlen said:
Here we go again. ;)

Well put squishy. :D

IceBear

Explorer
Hollywood said:
Well using a sword effectively in combat takes concentration too. I think that "patience" is more the key word than concentration, otherwise to me the raging would just make him less effective in combat at hitting things and doing damage rather than more just as AC gets less effective.

Just remember that raging is NOT mindless beserking. Think of the hero in some action movies where he's down and beaten to within an inch of his life. "Touch me again and I'll kill you", he says. The villian attempts to punch him and suddenly the hero is back on his feet and dishing out the smackdown :D

That's a way of looking at D&D rage where it makes sense to allow sneak attacks. We all have, due to past editions, have the impression of raging as being a mindless beserker where you might even attack nearby allies. That's not what 3E rage is.

IceBear

kreynolds

First Post
Hollywood said:
I am the DM. :)

While informative, it doesn't get you off the hook. Nobody wants to win the "Unreasonable DM of the Year Award". ;)

Hollywood said:
And I asked because I was torn....

Understandable. Logically, sneak attacks can seem kind of wierd depending upon the situation, or who's doing the sneak attacking for that matter.

Hollywood said:
Well using a sword effectively in combat takes concentration too.

What about swinging a big battleaxe with all your might? Sweeping a giant warhammer back and forth, swatting your enemies away like tiny little bugs? Neither of those require concentration. Instead, they simply make use of blind fury, or more to the point, rage. This is not to say, however, that such weapons cannot be used with deadly precision.

Also, there's using your weapon to keep your enemies at a distance, thereby enhancing your defense, such as with the Expertise feat. Does it use blind fury? No. Is it more of a cerebral feat? Yes. Does it require concentration? No. It merely requires brains, as is evident by the Intelligence prereqs.

Essentially, fighting doesn't require concentration. It requires that you pay attention to survive, but that's it. There's a big difference between trying to cast a spell and trying to shove your sword into that guy really, really, really frickin' hard. :cool:

Last edited:

Brekki

First Post
Yes a barbarian in rage can sneak attack.

Sneak attack has little or nothing to do with the attacker. It is the defender that is unable to guard himself properly, thereby providing the attacker with a possibility to hit critical parts. There is nothing in the rage ability to prevent the rager from taking this opportunity.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads