• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Useful Familiars + Spell Domains

Felon

First Post
In my campaign, the rules for school specialization have been replaced by spell domains from Unearthed Aracana. For those who don't have UA, a spell domain grants a specific bonus arcane spell every level, much like a clerical domain.

Now, my house rule is that when a wizard selects a familiar, he gains access to a spell domain. In addition to bonus spells, the domain also grants the master a domain ability (which replaces the usual crappy skill bonuses granted by gaining a familiar). The table below correlates familiars with their spell domains and the abilities granted by the domain.

Code:
[B]Familiar Type	Spell Domain 	Master's Granted Abilitiesr[/B] 
Bat		Necromancy	Gains Intimidate & Listen as class skills
Cat/Weasel	Illusion	Gains Sleight of Hand & Sneak as class skills
Hawk		Evocation	Gains Intimidate & Spot as class skills
Owl		Divination	Gains Spot & Use Magic Device as class skills
Rat		Abjuration	Uses Int modifier for Fortitude saves instead of Con
Raven		Conjuration	Gains Appraise & Sense Motive as class skills
Snake		Enchantment	Gains Bluff & Diplomacy as class skills
Toad/Lizard	Transmutation	Spend 1 skill point to gain 1 hit point each wizard level

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
Dirty rass-a-frassin' mods! They move threads when ya don't want'em moved, and when ya want'em moved they're nowhere to be found. Guess I'll just mosey over to house-rules and re-post. :]

The familiars gain abilities normally as their master gains levels. Only the benefits they grant the master have changed.

EDIT--OK, new thread in House Rules.

Last edited:

Remove ads