• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Uses for Nystul's Undetectable Aura?

Rashak Mani

First Post
As a member of an evil group it makes more sense... Cast it on a Cursed Item and give it to your enemies !!

I myself prefer the opposite... the False Aura spell... just cast it on poison and give it to the opposition... tell em its Healing potion for best effect... or if you want to sell a masterwork sword as magicall... dont forget it has to be Masterwork :)

Vaxalon

First Post
My group made extensive use of it while wizardry was outlawed in their country. It kept the authorities from finding them out.

Number47

First Post
I haven't actually got out my books and looked this up, but could you use it to suppress the magical aura of someone who is charmed? Heck, the Dominate spell also lasts for days, so this could be a good match-up.

Hand of Vecna

First Post
cast Undetectable Aura on a Ring of Invisibility, make your foes wonder how you turn invisible.

Plus, since Artifacts don't register as magical, so you could cast it on, say, a severed, blackened, shriveled left human hand and claim it was the Hand of Vecna... or on the aformentioned Ring of Invisibilty and claim it is The One Ring... ;)

Vaxalon

First Post
Number47 said:
I haven't actually got out my books and looked this up, but could you use it to suppress the magical aura of someone who is charmed? Heck, the Dominate spell also lasts for days, so this could be a good match-up.

No, it says objects only.

Larcen

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
Cheating in tournaments and competitions.

"Why no, sir, this is an entirely non-magical longbow. Check if you like."

-Hyp.

Ha! Too bad as a cleric of Mystra I need to stay Good. ;)

Gromm said:
Yeah its pretty worthless 99% of the time.

Whats your other domain? You've got to have something more useful there.

My other domain is Spell, so I get Mage Armor. Why a domain would give clerics, who can wear armor anyway, the spell Mage Armor I'll never know...

So basically, for 1st level domain spells I get a useless spell, and a spell that's not needed. Ha. Good thing the domain abilities are good. Also, the granted spells DO get better as I go up levels.

Xarlen said:
Best thing I can think of is this: Cast it on a magical item of some importance. Something that can get you out in a tight spot (ring of teleport, gauntlets of ogre power, circlet of blasting, ring of telekinesis, of ram, etc). Then, if someone jumps you, or captures you, they likely wont' take *everything*, they might, but the general idea is to take all magical items.

Or ask your DM if the spell can be changed, because it has No use at all.

My DM would have the captors take everything, I am sure! Ever play the Slave Lords module in 1E? That would be us....

And I don't think he'll let me switch the spell either. Bummer.

CRGreathouse said:
Generally, I wouldn't worry about it... Typically domains have either a good power or good spell selection, but not both. Use your other domain for good spells. :)

Right. I agree. I am not complaining on the domain as a whole. Just looking for ways I can make use of what I've got to work with.

Chronosome said:
Another possible use (if a DM allows it) is to let
Nystul's Undetectable Aura be a component in magic
item creation...by adding this seemingly useless spell
to the roster of spells used in item enchantment,
you can make it harder for detect magic spells to
divine the item's "soopah powah".

Just a thought. :)

Hmmmm.....cool suggestion. Didn't think of that one. And the DM might even allow it. Now to wait until I get high enough level to make item creation worthwhile....*sigh*

Malin Genie said:
It is *extremely* useful in certain circumstances. For example, imagine that you are disguised as a peasant or townsperson. A detect magic could immediately pick you out if you had magic items on you - but Nystul's Aura lasts for days, so at 10th level, if you had 5 magic items, by spending half your days memorising and using Nystul's, and the other half with your other domain spell, all your magical items are undetectable as such.

Another excellent suggestion! But (always a "but"), I don't really see my character needing to disguise himself much. He is not really a spy type and the need hasn't come up. So, yes, that is a great use of the spell in general, but unfortunately it may not help my PC directly. Say, maybe I can use it on the party's rogue.....hmmmm......

navriin said:
If you have to enter a city/place that checks for magic items, you can use it to sneak items in. If your talking to someone important, it stands to reason he may have guards to check you for dangerous magic items, much like patting someone down for a gun before they talk to the 'boss'.

Ok, I like it. I wonder how well-known the Nystul spell is though. I mean, if everyone knows a lowly 1st level spell can mask aura's, and they REALLY wanted magic items out, would a simple "patting down" with Detect Magic be all they do?

navriin said:
Also, in my campaign powerful opponent mages who have permanancied detect magic use the ability to appraise their opposition.

Would permanencing Detect Magic make it a free action? If not, I think that powerful mage would not waste an aciton best spent on Meteor Swarm. You get the idea.

I mean, even if the enemy mage had some free time before the fight, there are so many pre-battle buff spells out there that his time could be better spent on, right? In order for him to spent some time using Detect Magic, I am assuming all the buffing is done, and he still is undetected, and he still has some time to kill.

However, yeah, if it was a free action, then I think it's an excellent idea to mask your party's items. Or even if you felt that the enemy somehow knew about a particular item of yours and would be looking for it to take it out early in the battle. So your suggestion can have it's value in certain circumstances I would think. Thanks.

Valorian said:
I've got a character with the same two domains (Magic and Spell)...actually a really cute character - Paladin(level 1)/Cleric of Azuth (level 9)...anyway....I usually just take the mage armor spell for my 1st level domain spell....since I wear plate its not terrible useful, but its occasionally nice to suprise the DM with my incorporal AC (since force effects like mage armor work, but my non-ghost touch armor does me no good).

In terms of the Nystual's Undetectable Aura...the only good thing about the spell is its duration (1 day per level)...if you know you might need to do some sneaky stuff, you can pretty much hide the magic for the whole party, if you have enough warning.

Hey, nice character you have there! My cleric is actually a Cleric3/Sorcerer1, and he rocks for a 4th level character, IMHO.

Wow, what a great use for Mage Armor! I like. :) You mean, whenever some incorporeal nasty shows up, just use my Mage Armor? REAL handy. I didn't think of that because I thought my regular armor would cancel out the mage armor altogether because of the stacking rules. But, unless my DM wants to be cruel about it, I guess the Mage Armor WOULD still be there underneath my studded leather, right? Let me tell you, I hope that is the case cause I hate all those creepy, undead, energy draining, ghostly thingies out there.

Hypersmurf said:
[sighs]

Don't know about Undetectable.

But I've got a Wiz4 right now wishing he had Nystul's Magical Aura in his book.

-Hyp.

Why?

Rashak Mani said:
As a member of an evil group it makes more sense... Cast it on a Cursed Item and give it to your enemies !!

I myself prefer the opposite... the False Aura spell... just cast it on poison and give it to the opposition... tell em its Healing potion for best effect... or if you want to sell a masterwork sword as magicall... dont forget it has to be Masterwork :)

HA! There goes that blasted aligment restriction again! :(

Vaxalon said:
My group made extensive use of it while wizardry was outlawed in their country. It kept the authorities from finding them out.

Man, talk about a rough campaign....!

Hand of Vecna said:
cast Undetectable Aura on a Ring of Invisibility, make your foes wonder how you turn invisible.

Plus, since Artifacts don't register as magical, so you could cast it on, say, a severed, blackened, shriveled left human hand and claim it was the Hand of Vecna... or on the aformentioned Ring of Invisibilty and claim it is The One Ring... ;)

I like the ring idea! Too funny.

But, why would you use a spell that masks magical auras on a non-magical mummified hand?

Vaxalon said:
No, it says objects only.

Right. Too bad!

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Protection from dispel

If you have the heighten feat (unlikely given your class and level) then you can protect items you or others enchant with magic weapon or GMW from being dispelled by area dispel magic spells.

In general, however, if I were a Cleric 3/Sor 1 I would dump studded leather and go with free mage armor every day for the no spell failure unless the armor has some good enchantments on it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Would permanencing Detect Magic make it a free action? If not, I think that powerful mage would not waste an aciton best spent on Meteor Swarm.

I believe you're constantly sensitive to "there's magic somewhere in the 60' cone in front of me", but to pin it down as to location, number of sources, and strength requiresd a couple of rounds of concentration.

But I've got a Wiz4 right now wishing he had Nystul's Magical Aura in his book.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why?

Mystery case - trying to figure out who is going into a certain area. He had an idea to cast NMA on a 20lb bag of sand, mix it with something sticky, and spread it around the area. Then he could use Detect Magic to follow the trail, or at least to identify the boots of the intruder...

-Hyp.

Larcen

Explorer
Re: Protection from dispel

Voadam said:
If you have the heighten feat (unlikely given your class and level) then you can protect items you or others enchant with magic weapon or GMW from being dispelled by area dispel magic spells.

In general, however, if I were a Cleric 3/Sor 1 I would dump studded leather and go with free mage armor every day for the no spell failure unless the armor has some good enchantments on it.

How would the N's.U.A. spell protect something from being dispelled?

I wear the studded leather because the Mage Armor only lasts 3 hours at my level. Not enough to make it through an entire day of dungeon crawling. For now, I'll suck up the 15% spell failure. It's not like being a Sorcerer1 gives me a ton of spells to fail with anyway. Eventually, as I go up levels, and Mage Armor's duration goes up, it will become more appealing.

BTW, before every battle I make a 15% spell failure roll to see if my sorcerous Shield spell goes up. It hasn't failed me yet and it makes my AC go into the 20s. NICE.

Say, I just realized, Valorian reminded me that Shield also protects against incorporeal beasties. DOUBLE nice. Imagine a Mage Armor/Shield spell combo some day for a whopping +11 to my AC, all while wearing nothing but a t-shirt?

Larcen

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:

Mystery case - trying to figure out who is going into a certain area. He had an idea to cast NMA on a 20lb bag of sand, mix it with something sticky, and spread it around the area. Then he could use Detect Magic to follow the trail, or at least to identify the boots of the intruder...

-Hyp. [/B]

Very creative! Let me know if it works...

Remove ads