• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

using 2 shields?

Azzemmell

First Post
I know this may have been covered here before, but I can't seem to find anything in the core rules about whether someone using two shields gets the benefits from both.

Anyone know, or has anyone ran into this in their game and if so how do you handle it?

Thanks Azzemmell

Destil

Explorer
Shield bonus (which are armor bonuses) do not stack with each other. They specificaly stack with the armor bonus for armor, but overlap with the shield bonus from other shields.

Note that that's in reguard to AC bonus only, you could use special properties from more than one shield, if you're allowed.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I'm currently playing a character that uses 2 spiked shields in melee. It can be a very versitile fighting style but there are probably more effective tactics.

Still, with Improved Shield Bash and Shield Charge he is great fun to play. Occasionally combined with Brambles and Spikes he can do some fantastic damage on a charge.

Tyrrell

First Post
Has there ever been a ruling against the armor bonus from a sheild stacking with the cover bonus from a tower sheild?

If a tower sheild has an enhancement bonus is it an enhancement to the cover bonus or is it sort of a free floating armor bonus?

Azzemmell

First Post
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds kinda fishy; an armor bonus (duh, so obvious I missed it) that can stack with other armor bonuses... but only in this instance. Hmmm. Maybe I'll create a two-shield feat. I saw a martial arts fight (think it was in IRON MONKEY) where one character used two shields. Looked pretty cool.

Thanks, other ideas will be appreciated.

Azzemmell

reapersaurus

Explorer
Azz - in Sword & Fist, the Shield Expert feat allows you to use 2 shields for combat, and also retain their AC bonus.

You can use 2 offensively, but nothing allows you to benefit from both AC's.
Now, if you make one of them a Defending weapon, and transfer its enhancement bonus to defense, you can benefit from it.

dcollins

Explorer
Tyrrell said:
If a tower sheild has an enhancement bonus is it an enhancement to the cover bonus or is it sort of a free floating armor bonus?

Per Sage reply, it grants an armor bonus in addition to the shield's cover bonus.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
reapersaurus said:

You can use 2 offensively, but nothing allows you to benefit from both AC's.
Now, if you make one of them a Defending weapon, and transfer its enhancement bonus to defense, you can benefit from it.

Hmmm... What happens when I use Divine Shield on my +1 Defender Shield?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Interesting question.

Either you can use the new enhancement bonus defensively, or maybe you use the items own bonus for defending, and getting a new one from divine shild, so that you have both. After all, you can create a + 1 keen vorpal speed weapon and use greater magic weapon to make a +5 keen vorpal speed weapon out of it... (hm... that actually would enable my bladesinger to benefit from GMW: use his sword to fight defensively and use gmw to give it an enhancement bonus....)

reapersaurus

Explorer
Ridley's Cohort said:
Hmmm... What happens when I use Divine Shield on my +1 Defender Shield?
the same thing that happens when my character does it:
you gain a stackable bonus to AC equal to the enhancement bonus of your shield (in this case, your CHA bonus).
My SMACK charactaer has an AC of 174 by using this and other things, but 94 AC comes from Divine Shield and Defending weapon (of course, he's got a munchkin +47 CHA bonus)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads