• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using 3rd party stuff.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
This is not to start an argument, but I am honestly curious

Why do you use non-WOTC stuff? If you do, of course.

I just do not. Not ever. Partly it is living in Japan, partly it is to have a common base for my online games, partly it is general satisfaction with the D&D game WOTC prints, partly ?????????

So I wonder, what does 3rd party add to you game? How does it make your experience better?

Keith Robinson

Explorer
EyeontheMountain said:
I just do not. Not ever.

Why not? There's a wide range of very talented writers that don't work for WotC who produce top quality, top notch material. Not everything is, of course, but then not everything that WotC produce is either.

To deny yourself the opportunity of experiencing some of the superb 3rd party material that is available is, IMO, selling yourself short. You should seriously go and check some of it out.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
There is one thing that has been bugging me for some time now: Why is it called 3rd party material? I think WotC is the first party but if everything else is 3rd party, then where is 2nd party?

Oh and to the OPs guestion. I do buy many 3rd party books but rarely use them for anything else than to rip ideas from. On rare occasion I might actually use some weird monster to surprise my players.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Blackrat said:
There is one thing that has been bugging me for some time now: Why is it called 3rd party material? I think WotC is the first party but if everything else is 3rd party, then where is 2nd party?
The customers.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Red Moon Games said:
To deny yourself the opportunity of experiencing some of the superb 3rd party material that is available is, IMO, selling yourself short. You should seriously go and check some of it out.

I think you understand that it was a conscious decision on my part, but it never really was. It just worked out that way. Never saw the need to go past WOTC.

Aus_Snow

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
Why do you use non-WOTC stuff?
Because some of it provides that which WotC material does not, and some of it provides that which is better than what approximately equivalent material found in WotC books does.

So I wonder, what does 3rd party add to you game?
More interesting, compelling, exciting and/or appropriate crunch and fluff, more convenience, more fun.

How does it make your experience better?
See above.

Remove ads