• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using a buckler

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Re: Re: Using a buckler

diaglo said:

plus the buckler has a penalty of -1 to all attacks used with weapons in the same hand.

Oh yeah about that last part, the PHB states that if you use a weapon in your off-hand (assuming that you put your buckler on your, uh, off-arm), yuo get a -1 penalty to attacks. Does that penalty apply when you use a 2-handed weapon?

thanks to all that have answered

Maitre D

Jotun

First Post
KaeYoss wrote:
Don't try to find a loophole, just do some roleplaying.
Unless you know Maitre Du Donjon, you make an assumption that he's not a very good roleplayer asking a question about the rules. You don't know the circumstances. The concept of roleplaying is not related to, what I agree with, is a loophole. It is possible to be a rules-bender and a roleplayer, though seldom do the two meet.

Maitre Du Donjon wrote:
Oh yeah about that last part, the PHB states that if you use a weapon in your off-hand (assuming that you put your buckler on your, uh, off-arm), you get a -1 penalty to attacks. Does that penalty apply when you use a 2-handed weapon?
What do you think? Does it sound realistic that if you have two hands on the weapon instead of one, you avoid any penalties due to awkwardness? I would emphatically answer no. You still have your off-hand on the weapon. I almost believe that it's a trolling question. Good luck with your new PC.

Sejs

First Post
If using a 2h weapon and a buckler you still get the -1 to attack ~ you're using your off hand to wield a weapon, still.

Note, that this does not apply to Bows and Crossbows, as mentioned in the Buckler description, however.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
I kinda feel i have to justify myself...

It could look like i'm somewhat of a powergamer/munchkin (its kind of the way I feel after some of the remarks i got in this thread), because of the character i'm building. Maybe that's the way I like to play. Maybe its because the campaign i'll be playing in will assume/necessitate that i have a character that can deals buttloads of damage and is practically untouchable.

Or maybe i asked all thos questions because i wasn't sure of the answer, and that I didn't believe the book as it is written answers them.

When i'm in such a quandary, i do like a lot of people do. I come to the rules forum and ask my questions. Most of the time, the people are very nice, eloquent, bright and funny. And sometimes, they make me feel I was a god damn idiot for asking those questions. I'm happy that doesnt happen very often.

Anywho, thanks again for the answers.

Maitre D

PS: Sorry if that last part sounded like a rant, but this is the very first thread that I found unpleasant.

Sejs

First Post
It could look like i'm somewhat of a powergamer/munchkin (its kind of the way I feel after some of the remarks i got in this thread)

Frankly, those remarks were a load of bullpucky. If I were an archer and I knew just how exposed I was (ie, had some idea to how things work in reguards to AoOs, etc), I would WANT to be able to defend myself adequatly in melee should the need arise. It's just like the Rope Trick spell: were I a spellcaster, it would make sense that I would want to have a spell that gives me a reasonably safe, dry, environmental hazard-free place to rest no matter where I was.

Likewise, if I'm a bowman, it's reasonable that you would want to be able to defend yourself, and not be totally squishy and helpless, should some guy come running up with a sword.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Maitre Du Donjon, I am sorry if the thread was unpleasant. I think your questions were resonable and fair. I hope I did not come off as rude I just had some questions about what you meant in your original post. I think that you couldn't get the buckler shield's bonus but I don't see why you can't get AoO with your armor spikes. Especially since you do not need to hold armor spikes in you hands or even have them attached to your arms to attack with them. They attached to your armor and can be used in normal or off hand attacks. They seem to represent an additional weapon that can be use in combination with normal weapons.

Steverooo

First Post
"If you use a weapon in your off-hand, you don't get the buckler's AC bonus for the rest of the round." PHB:105.

Since the bow is wielded in the off-hand, no, you must choose whether to use the bow or gets the buckler's AC bonus each round, and the decision stays in effect until your next action...

On the -1 off-hand penalty, a Masterwork or magical buckler will solve that problem!

The question of armor spikes/spiked gauntlets has come up before... as well as "How many Free Actions can you have in a round?" (Wield bow as a Free Action, fire arrows, wield spikes/spiked gauntlet, repeat next round). The Final Answer is: Go ask your GM. I would allow it; others wouldn't. Maybe 3.5 will answer it, maybe not...

If your GM says no, ask about armor spikes on your Barb's knees... This requires no hands free, and makes the ol' knee-in-the-groin extremely painful. Shoulder and foot spikes are also useful.

In any case, even with hands full (one on the bow and the other holding an unnocked arrow), I see no reason why an archer couldn't spat someone with armor spikes or a spiked gauntlet, even if they had an arrow in that hand (or smack them with the bow, if on the other side), so the "simultaneous actions" arguement doesn't hold water, to me...

If your GM objects to all of the above, ask him/her if Quickdraw would allow you to "draw" a weapon in response to AsoO. If so, go with that. If not, take Improved Unarmed Strike, and you can at least still use the ol' Knee-to-the-groin trick in response to AsoO.

diaglo

Adventurer
Steverooo said:
On the -1 off-hand penalty, a Masterwork or magical buckler will solve that problem!

From the SRD: Buckler: This small metal shield is strapped to the forearm, allowing it to be worn and still use the hand. A bow or crossbow can be used without penalty. An off-hand weapon can be used, but a -1 penalty on attack rolls is imposed because of the extra weight on your arm. This penalty stacks with those for fighting with the off hand and, if appropriate, for fighting with two weapons. In any case, if a weapon is used in the off-hand, the character doesn't get the buckler's AC bonus for the rest of the round.

the penalty is not due to the armor check of the buckler (which is -1 normally and 0 for MW or magical). the penalty is a flat -1 due to the extra weight. MW or magical bucklers still weigh the same as normal ones.

Last edited:

Darklone

Remember, even if your DM does not allow you to make AoOs with the spikes or whatever, you still will be able to perform full attack actions the round after the enemy closed in, or attack him with the spikes if he grappled you.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Steverooo said:
"If you use a weapon in your off-hand, you don't get the buckler's AC bonus for the rest of the round." PHB:105.

just to be absolutely sure, "rest of the round" means "until it's my turn to act again", right?

Thanks again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads