• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using AD&D or earlier for Temple of the Frog

riprock

First Post
I have a mad ambition: to run Temple of the Frog, the first module ever.

I think AD&D rules will be suitable.

My question is this: How on earth shall I handle encumbrance?

There will be treasures that weigh much more than what a party could reasonably carry while walking. I suspect that there are several treasure troves weighing about 10000 gp each that the players will locate; I expect each player can carry 3000 gp maximum.

In order to benefit from treasure, the party must be able to take it out and store it in a safe home base location. It would be absurd to say the players level up immediately as soon as they grab the treasure.

So how did people do this originally? Ten or twenty pack mules? Extremely close mobile home bases? Each party member having a portable hole?

Would it be suitable to have a non-combat NPC, perhaps a wise old sage who refuses to fight, hanging back about a mile in a base camp and ruling that if the players can get the treasure to him, they can level up?

Remove ads