• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Detect Evil/Good

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
Y'know, odly, E-B, I've run it that way for my entire DMing career, and I run *quite* 'shades of gray' in my campaign...it hasn't precluded such playing, or encouraged a 'smite the villain' atmosphere....in fact, the spell has only really been useful for detecting the true evil who is masquerading as good....

Hmmm. I figured that there were quite a few people out there who run detect evil as detect [Evil] and manage to have nuanced campaigns. I would maintain, however, that it's not because of the way you run detect [Evil] but in spite of it which is why I said that such an interpretation doesn't encourage such rather than that it precludes it.

Still, I'd like the answer to the question in your campaign: if a creature is Evil, why is it not Good to slay it? And if authority gets in your way, obviously this isn't legitimate authority, right? So what, other than a sense of destroying verisimilitude, stops your evil-detecters from killin' evil things?

That's a fair question. Here's my answer: because everyone that is evil does not deserve death in this world.

Hear me out. In the modern world, there are lots of things that many people think of as evil--for instance, lying, wife-beating (or husband beating if the Guest/Minelli reports are true; we just don't talk about it because it would be humiliating for most men to admit), Enron style creative accounting, pushing drugs, etc. However very few people believe that such activity merits the death penalty. There are a lot of other things that people believe to be very evil--pushing hard drugs to children, rape, child molestation, murder, etc--but that, in most cases, do not merit the death penalty in our legal system (although that we watch movies where vigilante heros kill such individuals indicates that many of us don't think it would really be far out of line). In much of the western world, it is the considered judgement of the elites that nothing deserves death--although in many countries which have abolished the death penalty, majorities of the public disagree. So, in most of the modern world, our ideas of justice--a topic profoundly connected with good and evil--maintain that most villains do not deserve to die. A paladin who went around killing even villains indiscriminately would be acting unjustly.

Most of us, however, are willing to suspend at least some of our modern sensibilities when we play D&D however. (As someone who thinks that so-called modern sensibilities blind us to moral reality, that's one of the things that draws me to D&D). It largely takes place in a pseudomedieval world after all. (Although it's generally modernized to one degree or another). So what about ancient ideas of justice, good, and evil? Most of them provide for people to be evil without deserving death as well. In the Bible's long list of things that are evil and that make people evil, there are quite a few for which death was not the mandated penalty. A thief, for instance, was routinely portrayed as evil yet the penalty for theft was to repay seven times the stolen amount rather than death. Denying strangers hospitality was evil but generally was not cause for death. A man who killed a thief would have been guilty of injustice. (Assuming he wasn't defending himself). Before David became king of Israel, one of the people he protected refused him hospitality and, when David was persuaded not to kill him, the Bible portrays him as being turned from a wrong intent to right.

So, generally, most people who believe in evil believe and have believed that it's quite possible for a man to be genuinely evil and still not deserve to die in this world. That's even true of those people who thought execution appropriate in situations that would horrify most of us in this modern era. (I doubt many DMs would be comfortable with paladins executing people for blasphemy, adultery, or false prophecy, yet most of those were often considered capital crimes in the ancient world). If those many of us now think too harsh to be Good thought that all evil didn't deserve death at the hands of their fellow men, I can't see who would defend the standard that all who are evil do deserve to die. There's no present or historical standard of good and justice I'm aware of under which that would be just.

This, among others, is one of the reasons I can't see how detecting evil alignment works well in a game...I haven't seen any good philosophical justification, within the given D&D morality system, why a Good character who detects evil (leave out law or chaos from it...either side is justifiable) cannot simply smite it.....I'm certainly open to reasons, though....

One other reason why a good character who detects evil might not smite it--and this is part consequential argument and, I think, part natural law--is that human society could not function if all evil people were killed.

Assuming the D&D distribution of alignments, roughly 25-30% of the general human population is evil aligned. In some areas this would be more, in others less. And people change alignments during their lives (IRL peoples outlook and behavior is a very dynamic thing with good people being tempted and falling and then being redeemed (or not) and evil people sometimes reforming and then sometimes returning to their former life; I would think, a D&D world would emulate this if it shoots for verisimilitude). Consequently, in any two given years, the roster of the good 25-30% and the evil 25-30% will be subtly but significantly different. I would guess that maybe 30-50% of D&D PCs and NPCs may have been evilly aligned at one point in their lives. So, if everyone who radiates evil is killed, that would consistently destroy 30-50% of the population.

Not only that, but since new people are born and people who weren't evil before become evil, the anti-evil pogrom could never end. It could not be a one time extermination because evil would come back. Worse yet, I can't imagine any such Inquisition that wouldn't foster a climate of fear and paranoia that would probably be effective in encouraging people to evil. (This is a key difference between the idea of Detect+smite on a society-wide level and the religious idea of a final judgement that condemns all the wicked and leaves the righteous (or the redeemed depending upon whether it's Christian, Islamic, or Jewish eschatology) to inherity paradise. In the scenario of the final judgement, the choice of righteousness or perdition has been made once and for all so there's no chance of the good being corrupted after the judgement. In that scenario, the world has also come to an end so there are no new people who might choose evil coming into the world. The judgement is also infallible--something Detect Evil is emphatically not. And the wicked are generally considered to have had opportunity to repent and to have refused it--something the detect+smite scenario does not meaningfully offer. Although there are superficial similarities between Detect+Smite and the idea of a final judgement, I don't think you can call the idea of the last judgement to bat for Detect+Smite).

Now, human society has endured losses on that scale in the past but they have generally been very traumatic events for those societies--World War I, World War II, the black plague in medieval/early modern europe, etc all had very significant effects upon the development of civilization. In fact, given that population growth is rarely that high, killing 50% of people when they radiate evil might even lead to consistent negative population growth. That would mean that, concerns about stability aside, any society that made a policy of detect&smite would not be long for the world.

For this reason, IMO, human society has generally been oriented towards creating institutions, customs, laws, rewards, and punishments to channel the energies of the evil members that they are bound to have towards goals that are beneficial to those societies, to prevent them from doing too much harm, and to punish egregious displays of evildoing so as to discourage unacceptable evil behavior. This is the theory behind the concept of the balance of powers in the US constitution, for instance. If each branch is given distinct and separate powers, even evil men are naturally inclined to resist power grabs by others and so, the founders thought, the society would be able to survive evil men in any branch of the government. Similarly, it's one of the principles behind the theories of capitalism: if the best way to gain power and wealth is to serve people and give them something they need/want at a price they like, then evil people drawn to wealth and power will be able to pursue their goals and actually benefit society. (In order for it to work, there needs to be enforcement of laws that make the harmful shortcuts to those goals (fraud, graft, extortion, price fixing, etc) less desirable than the beneficial means and arriving at that system is a very difficult--and maybe impossible--goal but that's the theory). In fact, although I think he's wrong, Immanuel Kant was so taken with the idea of a good social system chanelling the energies of the evil towards the good of the society that he reportedly claimed that, if you could get the social contract right, you could have a perfect society populated exclusively by devils.

So, it's not just impractical to exterminate evil people, they can actually be a beneficial (or at least functional) part of society--although not as beneficial as they'd be if they weren't evil. The paladin who does his Detect/Smite routine isn't necessarily doing his society any favors. In fact, to make a consequentialist argument, it's almost certain that such action would not lead to the greatest good for the greatest number of people.

But what if it's not a societal policy? What if it's just a lone vigilante paladin righting wrongs? That brings its own set of complications. The lone vigilante may right individual wrongs and eliminate some egregiously bad people. (However, right there, we're talking about killing particular evil people--those who are especially harmful to society--rather than evil people in general). However, such actions inevitably weaken the social institutions that are supposed to bring justice to everyone. They may weaken institutions slowly and imperceptibly but they do weaken them. And, when those institutions are weakened, the bonds of tradition, custom, social pressure, institutions and law that serve to channel the energies of most evil people towards more-or-less productive ends are weakened. As are the pressures that encourage neutral people to stay away from evil and that serve to tell good people that evil is not the road to success. (After all, the premise of the system is to make evil people act like good people in order to succeed; if they get the idea that they can work the system, maybe they will succeed which would weaken the society further). The lone vigilante must weigh his actions carefully to ensure that they are doing more good than harm. Detect+smite is not weighing the consequences carefully. And any individual who pursued that route would not be doing society any favors.

There is one other reason why it's not Good: the likely effect upon the people who are doing the killing.

For individuals, to take my earlier argument using current and received ideas about justice, the killer would be acting unjustly. It's not good to act unjustly and, if one makes a habit of it, is likely to lead to other types of injustice. To my mind, Detect+smite is probably the one of the early steps in the road to being a blackguard. (Again, the Warcraft III story of Arthos comes to mind).

For society, any system implemented in order to exterminate evil people would require unchecked power and mechanisms that would be likely to attract evil people to it. It would also render good and neutral people who were a part of it vulnerable to temptation--if the actions they took in its name weren't inherently corrupting. And it would only take a few individuals abusing the system to eliminate enemies or seize property to turn the so-called tool of Good into a tool of oppression. It would not be a good thing. And it would be unlikely to remain a Good thing for very long.

Still, good rest of the post, and it's opened me to perhaps changing my campaign back...though I'm unsure....

Glad to hear you've got an open mind. And an interesting conversation to be sure.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Elder-Basilisk said:
To my mind, Detect+smite is probably the one of the early steps in the road to being a blackguard.

I agree :)

I remember one of these that went on for a few pages, though, where there were people rabidly asserting that any Paladin who failed to immediately destroy anything that blipped his radar was spitting on his Divine Mandate...

Ick. Paladinbots.

-Hyp.

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
Kamikaze Midget said:
if a creature is Evil, why is it not Good to slay it? And if authority gets in your way, obviously this isn't legitimate authority, right? So what, other than a sense of destroying verisimilitude, stops your evil-detecters from killin' evil things?

Hmm, apparently Elder Basilisk responded more quickly, and probably better. But to put it a bit more succinctly: because good characters respect the sanctity of life. Just because Joe Merchant beats his wife doesn't mean a passing paladin should just walk up and impale him on a sword. And the paladin doesn't even know that Joe Merchant beats his wife - all the paladin knows is that Joe is definitely not a nice person. Even the most legitimate authority won't allow random merchants to be killed on the street, even if they deserve it;there is such a thing as due process of law, after all.

Incidentally, "legitimate authority" is often considered a technical term. It basically mean any authority which is accepted as legitimate by those over whom it has authority. So in a hereditary monarchy, the despotic and cruel prince who begins oppressing his people as soon as he comes to power is still the rightful king nonetheless. And when the Holy Empire of Paladin-Land conquers the neighboring evil magocracy and overthrows the tyrannical wizard-lord, they're still an occupying force that lacks true legitimacy. At least, that's what I recall from the one course I took back in college; I'm no socio-political expert.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
It is a simple matter of justice.

The fact someone is Evil is not proof they have actually performed any Evil acts that justify martial retribution. Taking pleasure in verbally abusing an invalid grandmother is Evil. But does it warrant chopping someone's head off? No.

It is simply more likely that an Evil person has performed more Evil acts than a Neutral person or a Good person. Neutral people (and rarely Good people) do sometimes perform acts that are horrifically Evil.

Is your Paladin going to execute 10%-30% of the population on a guess?

The alignment system in D&D does not mechanistically force Evil people to perform Evil acts, nor does it prevent Neutral/Good people from performing Evil acts. The alignment is descriptive of a person's tendencies or desires, nothing more and nothing less. As stated in the PHB: "Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient."

Keep in mind, that a Paladin would usually hold that a properly functioning Lawful society would make most Evil acts unprofitable thereby discouraging Evil individuals from ever expressing their baser tendencies. Is the Paladin going to punish people for what they would do if they thought they could get away with it? I wouldn't know what to call that, but it certainly is neither just nor Good.

Creatures have alignment based on their actions.
If they haven't done evil acts, they wouldn't have evil alignment.
If they have done enough evil to have an evil alignment, they would have done enough bad stuff to be deserving of smiting.

Geoff.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Geoff Watson said:
If they have done enough evil to have an evil alignment, they would have done enough bad stuff to be deserving of smiting.

The gods of Good don't believe in the possibility of rehabilitation?

Blackguards were frequently Champions of Goodness who turned to Evil. Is it impossible that someone should go the other way and redeem themselves?

Well, it is if you hack them into little pieces, but apart from that?

-Hyp.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
My understanding of the PH allows creatures to have alignments based upon their tendencies and attitudes--what they would do if given the chance--as well as their actions.

However, the basic question that your contention raises is how much evil and how bad evil does one have to do in order to have an evil alignment. The implication of your statement is that only people who've done stuff bad enough to deserve death have evil alignments.

There are a number of questions about that contention:
First, how does that square with the idea that somewhere around 20% of the population of a neutral town will be evil? Have 20% of the population really done enough bad stuff to deserve death/smiting? If so, why is there still an 80% in this town?

Second, what kind of evil is sufficient to get someone the evil alignment? Is that the same kind and amount of evil that is necessary to justify killing them?
Is bilking employees out of their pension funds over a period of years sufficient? Or to make the example medieval, lying about the rate of taxation on the peasants and keeping the extra for yourself? How many years of that are required before one's alignment becomes evil? And do such individuals then deserve death?
How about kneecapping debtors for the local loan shark? That certainly seems evil to me. But I don't know that it's just to start killing people for assault. (Even the supposedly harsh ancient legal codes generally demanded an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth not a head for a kneecap).
Perjury? Is lying under oath enough to make a man evil? If so is it good enough to kill a man over?
How about oathbreaking in general? The ancients certainly thought it evil. But is it--even if repeated many times--enough to warrant death?
What about bearing false witness? Bringing false accusations against someone else is usually thought of as evil. How many times before one's alignment shifts? And do you then kill him? (IIRC, the ancients generally inflicted the penalty for the crime he was accusing the defendant of rather than automatically killing him and they were generally too harsh for our modern tastes).
Spousal abuse? Is one beating enough to make a man evil? Enough to kill him over?
Child abuse? How many times before you're evil? And then do you deserve to die?
Rape? Is one sufficient to make a man evil? Should he then be killed. (If you say yes, most ancient systems would agree with you (although they had a lot more conditions for prosecuting rape and reportedly rarely used such laws) but very few modern systems prescribe that penalty.)
How about murder? Is one murder sufficient to make a man evil? If so, does that man automatically deserve to die?

I can buy the idea that you don't get to be a 6th level evil priest without performing child sacrifice. Heck, I can buy the idea that just being a priest in a death cult is a crime worthy of death. Corrupting the morals of the city and all that if nothing else. (It was good enough to kill Socrates, surely it's good enough to kill a priest of Vecna). But I can't buy that the wife beater who kneecaps debtors for the local thieves' guild in his spare time isn't evil. Nor do I think that Joseph Jacksonus who beats his children if they perform poorly and beats his wife if he's drunk (which he usually is) isn't evil. But I don't think it would be just to kill him for it. He's done enough bad stuff to have an evil alignment but it still doesn't justify smiting.

Geoff Watson said:

Geoff.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Elder-Basilisk said:
There are a number of questions about that contention:
First, how does that square with the idea that somewhere around 20% of the population of a neutral town will be evil? Have 20% of the population really done enough bad stuff to deserve death/smiting? If so, why is there still an 80% in this town?

Well Medieval Europe was satisfied that the Saracens in the Holy Land were bad enough that they needed exterminating. And looking at the Medieval heresies (a great source of adventure ideas) and what tended to happen to them - um the Good-aligned church destroyed a number of communities for things as seemingly minor as Blasphemy.

Oh and heres a portion of the Yasa of Genghis Khan (ie his code of laws)

1. An adulterer is to be put to death without any regard as to whether he is married or not.

2. Whoever is guilty of sodomy is also to be put to death.

3. Whoever intentionally lies, or practices sorcery, or spies upon the behavior of others, or intervenes between the two parties in a quarrel to help the one against the other is also to be put to death.

4. Whoever urinates into water or ashes is also to be put to death.

5. Whoever takes goods (on credit) and becomes bankrupt, then again takes goods and again becomes bankrupt, then takes goods again and yet again becomes bankrupt is to be put to death after the third time.

6. Whoever gives food or clothing to a captive without the permission of his captor is to be put to death.

so yep pretty much an effective list of what was evil (by 13th century Mongol standards) and deserving of death...

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Tonguez said:
Well Medieval Europe was satisfied that the Saracens in the Holy Land were bad enough that they needed exterminating. And looking at the Medieval heresies (a great source of adventure ideas) and what tended to happen to them - um the Good-aligned church destroyed a number of communities for things as seemingly minor as Blasphemy.

Leaving aside the question of whether the medieval Christian church was actually good aligned as a whole (myself, I would maintain that it was nominally good aligned but had quite a number of neutral and evil members--even, at times, in positions of leadership), I don't think one can use the Crusades (against the saracens or against the Hussites, etc) as evidence that it's realistic to assert that 20-40% of any given community has committed crimes wothy of death under a [Good] set of laws.

First, the Crusades against the Saracens were a matter of war between two civilizations. That does not necessarily imply that all of the enemy are evil any more than the hundred years war waged by the good folk of England :D demonstrated that all the French are evil. (Although, I have other evidence to that effect :p) In a war between nations--whether just or not--the enemy need not be evil to be lawfully and rightly slain.

The persecution of various heresies falls under the same category for regional heresies. By and large, they were persecutions of one large community by others. (The Hussite community in Bohemia was certainly an independent community). Thus, even assuming the "heretics" were evil and that the church was right to attempt to destroy them, they don't demonstrate that 20-40% of a given community is evil but rather that enough of a community may be seduced by evil that the entire community needs to be destroyed.

When one begins dealing with smaller heresies, it's significant to see how they were variously handled before assuming that they demonstrate that 20-40% (the default evil populations remember) of any given community is guilty of something deserving of death. AFAIK, most of those heretics were guilty of nothing more than heresy--no murder, child molestation, fraud, counterfeiting, etc--which makes them a far cry from your standard D&D cultist. Other than disagreeing with the church, there's little to indicate that the Lollards, Hussites, and even Arians or other heretics were generally evil aligned. In fact, there's a lot to indicate that, in D&D terms, many of them were good aligned. That's one of the reasons that their persecution is generally seen as a black spot on the church's history.

And, furthermore, all of them were not put to death immediately (Luther, for instance, was tolerated for quite some time, was eventually excommunicated, and it was only after years and an appearance before the Emperor that he was finally sentenced. Other more minor heresies were dealt with by fines, teaching, etc. (Luther's opponent Tetzel, who IIRC was a leading defender of indulgences was shut up for what was eventually decided to be false teaching but was never executed). And, of course, suggesting that, at any given time, 20-40% of medieval Europeans were part of some officially condemned heresy stretches credibility just a wee bit.

No, the crusades certainly won't justify the contention that all evilly aligned people deserve to die.

Oh and heres a portion of the Yasa of Genghis Khan (ie his code of laws)

so yep pretty much an effective list of what was evil (by 13th century Mongol standards) and deserving of death...

Well, there certainly are a lot of death penalties there. However, as I pointed out in my first post, a lot of ancient justice systems are too harsh for most gamers to accept as standards of what is actually [Good] in game. And second, they do actually have a few examples of things that are clearly considered wrong/evil but which don't draw the penalty of death:

5. Whoever takes goods (on credit) and becomes bankrupt, then again takes goods and again becomes bankrupt, then takes goods again and yet again becomes bankrupt is to be put to death after the third time.

Clearly thought of as wrong/evil yet not deserving of death unless it happens three times.
12. He forbade his people to eat food offered by another until the one offering the food tasted of it himself, even though one be a prince and the other a captive; he forbade them to eat anything in the presence of another without having invited him to partake of the food; he forbade any man to eat more than his comrades, and to step over a fire on which food was being cooked or a dish from which people were eating.

13. When a wayfarer passes by people eating, he must alight and eat with them without asking for permission, and they must not forbid him this.

14. He forbade them to dip their hands into water and ordered them to use some vessel for the drawing of water.

15. He forbade them to wash their clothes until they were completely worn out.

Admittedly these aren't obviously moral issues except 13 (hospitality was historically though of as a moral issue). No mention of death here though. And it doesn't seem reasonable to assume that all of these were on pain of death when he didn't specify--as one can see, he usually did.

23. He ordered that the oldest of the leaders, if he had committed some offence, was to give himself up to the messenger sent by the sovereign to punish him, even if he was the lowest of his servants; and prostrate himself before him until he had carried out the punishment prescribed by the sovereign, even if it be to put him to death.

Not obviously moral here but clearly shows that there are penalties other than death.

27. He ordered that soldiers be punished for negligence; and hunters who let an animal escape during a community hunt he ordered to be beaten with sticks and in some cases to be put to death.

28. In cases of murder (punishment for murder) one could ransom himself by paying fines which were: for a Mohammedan - 40 golden coins (Balysh); and for a Chinese - one donkey.

These look like moral issues (although one is of more significance than another). Neither of them are always death penalty offenses. (And I suspect that beaten with sticks was more common than death for letting an animal escape).

33. If unable to abstain from drinking, a man may get drunk three times a month; if he does it more than three times he is culpable; if he gets drunk twice a month it is better; if once a month, this is still more laudable; and if one does not drink at all what can be better? But where can I find such a man? If such a man were found he would be worthy of the highest esteem. (Riasanovsky considers this fragment to belong to the Maxims of CHINGIS KHAN, maxim 20)

This is often thought to be a moral issue and the high esteem line confirms it. However there's no mention of the death penalty for drunkards....

One would think that asking a [Good] moral system to have offenses that were considered evil but were no a matter for the death penalty would be setting the bar rather low indeed. And it seems that nearly every system is able to make it over that bar. What does it say that the Detect+Smite code can't make it over a hurdle that allows the Crusades and the Maxims of Chingis Khan to pass by?

It was after all the Crusades that gave us the maxim, "kill them all and God will know his own." (I believe it was a Sir Simon De Montfort in a crusade against a group of French heretics--maybe the Cathars). And it was a representative of the Mongols (Ghengis Khan) who said that happiness is to destroy one's enemies, see them driven before them and to ravage their women and children. So those aren't exactly leading candidates for finding [Good] codes. But even they pass a muster that Detect+Smite doesn't.

I hope it's not being too presumptious to claim that it says that Detect+Smite is not a [Good] code. Based on the arguments I made a few posts ago, I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that it's not even a neutral code. It's an evil one.

Last edited:

Patrick O'Duffy

First Post
The simple house rule I use in my Prime Movers campaign is that 'faint' auras aren't detectable. So low-level characters or low-HD 'mundane' creatures don't register as good, evil or whatever, but even minor undead, outsiders or clerics do.

It's early in the campaign, but so far it works.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Geoff Watson said:

Geoff.

Dead wrong for two reasons:

(1) The PHB definitions allow for individuals who are evil who do not commit evil acts. Surely the majority of evil individuals commit evil acts, but it should not be assumed all do. Frex, an evil individual might fear the sanction of the law/community/family and rationally choose to avoid commiting evil acts out of self interest.

(2) Not all evil acts are deserving of death. That should be obvious.

Last edited:

Remove ads