• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Eberron in Other RPG Systems

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
If you were to use Eberron in a system other than D&D 3.5/4e, what would you consider the key/"core" elements of it that should be reflected? What, to you, really gives the setting its feeling? What are some things you'd like to see custom rules made for?

I love Eberron and have been considering its use in various RPG systems, so I wanted to see what other people thought were the most important elements to include and reflect in house rules :)

IronWolf

blank
Keep all the fluff and then just overlay the rules of whatever system you choose over that? Then you get to keep all the things that are Eberron and use the mechanics of your preferred ruleset.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
Then you get to keep all the things that are Eberron and use the mechanics of your preferred ruleset.
Well, yes, but sometimes it helps to have rules that reinforce the setting a bit. You can certainly just utilize all of the fluff, but it's nice for players to have the option of, say, a Warforged or Shifter character given they're relevant to the setting. Of course, I could just handle those on a case-by-case basis...

One of the reasons I really see a point to rules is just from talking with Keith Baker at a convention. One of the reasons he liked Eberron in 4e is that PCs felt heroic from level one. In 3.5, some of the Eberron rules (like action points) were used to give that feeling, but 4e didn't really warrant that sort of thing.

Basically, I'm looking for ideas like that... concepts that are beneficial to have reflected in the rules. Obviously, though, different people have different views on what really captures the feel of Eberron, so I wanted some outside opinions :)

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Dragon Marks with effects and with items or other things powered by it.
Elemental Powered vehicles: trains, flying ships, diggers etc
Dragon Marked Houses
Spies and Intrigue, Ship to Ship Combat
Uneasy Detante
Warforged
Last War
Daelkyr, Lords of Dust,
Elves and their two cultures....

and so much more...

Argyle King

Legend
I think there is a certain amount of gritty and noir attached to a lot of Eberron which helps to set the setting apart from others. The political intrigue and backroom politics of the setting help bring the setting to life.

There is also something of a post apocolypse feel in many areas of the setting, and that helps to give a dark edge to the otherwise civilized world. What originally attracted me to the setting was that it addressed somewhat more complex and mature ideas of morality. I think it might be a good idea to port Eberron into a system which more fully allows for noncombat skills to shine at the same level as combat skills.

Eberron has a certain mystery and madness which lurks just below the norm, and sometimes it's not the quickest sword which survives, but the quickest mind. Eberron, for me, is a setting where there's just as much place for a Sherlock Holmes as there is for a Conan.

I couldn't help but to be mulling over the whys, whos, and hows of the kobold assasin so easily getting to and slitting through the throat of the mayor. As I sped along on the train, the wheels of my mind kept turning, and something about the whole ordeal seemed too quick; too clean; too cut and dry.

There was no time for that now though. I was almost at my stop. I had been commissioned to investigate the disappearance of some workers at a mine. Foul play was suspected, and I would need a little muscle. My next stop was to call upon an old friend of mine. A simple fellow, he is, but, with sharp steel in his hand, and the block of meat that made up his body in front of me, the prospect of meandering into the dark underground seemed somehow more palpable. In past ventures, there had been times when I'd watch him at work... his type of work, and I couldn't help but ask myself whether it was my friend or my foes who constituted the real monster.

Olstag Madhelm, Dwarven Investigator

A

amerigoV

I use Savage Worlds for my Eberron campaign. 1/2 of Eberron is Pulp, and Savage Worlds is a pulp engine. I have found the Savage Worlds system really enhances Eberron. For example, on the Sharn book there is the picture of a skiff fighting off gnolls on flying discs. The system has a nice chase scene mechanism that easily emulates something like that. Rules-wise, it really is building the new races (shifter, warforge, etc) and dragonmarks. The other is thinking up cool trappings for magic, which I feel adds to the world.

The rest is just how you play it (intrigue, double crosses, and making fun of the Emerald Claw).

Last edited:

Set

First Post
I was considering converting the races / etc. over for a Mutants & Masterminds game and came up with the following rough ideas;

Kalashtar racial powers Container 1 [6 pp]
Communication 4 (mental, 1 mile range, Flaw: Action 2 (standard action)), [1]
Immunity 1 (attacks that target dreams or cause nightmares), [1]
Second Chance (mind control), [1]
+2 to Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise and Intimidate checks, [2]
Innate [1]

Changeling racial powers Container 1 [6 pp]
Morph (humanoids) 2 (Flaw: Action 2 (standard)), [1]
Second Chance (mind control), [1]
Second Chance (sleep effects), [1]
+2 Bluff, Intimidate and Sense Motive checks, 2 free Languages, [2]
Innate [1]

Shifter racial powers Container 1
Super-senses 1 (low-light vision), [1]
Variable Effect 1 (multiple traits of the ‘animal traits’ descriptor at one time, Flaw: Unreliable (5 uses per day)), [3]
+2 to Acrobatics and Climb checks, [1]
Innate [1]

Sample 5 pp ‘packages’ based on Eberron shifter traits
Beasthide - +2 Con, Protection 3
Longtooth - +2 Str, Strike 2, fangs, Mighty)
Cliffwalk - +2 Dex, Super-movement 1 (wall-crawling, AP: slow fall)
Razorclaw - +2 Str, Strike 1 (claws, Mighty, Split Attack 1)
Longstride - +2 Dex, Speed 1 (10 MPH), Super-movement 1 (sure-footed 1)
Wildhunt - +2 Con, Super-senses 2 (scent, track), +2 to notice and survival checks involving scent or tracking

Dreamsight - +2 Wis, Comprehend (speak to / understand animals, Flaw: Duration 1 (sustained)), Animal Empathy *or* +4 Handle Animal checks (if he already has AE)
Gorebrute - +2 Str, Strike 2 (horns, Mighty)
Swiftwing - +2 Dex, Flight 1 (AP: slow fall)
Truedive - +2 Con, Environmental Adaptation (underwater), Immunity 1 (breathe underwater), Swimming 1 (adds to base move from EA (underwater))

Sample 'freeform' 5 pp animal traits packages
Bat – Flight 1, Super-Senses 4 (auditory blindsight), Drawback (blind) -1
Shark – Swimming 2, Environmental Adaptation (water), Immunity 1 (drowning), Protection 1
Eagle – Flight 1, Strike 1 (Mighty), Super-senses (extended vision)
Wolf – Speed 1, Super-senses 2 (scent, track), Improved Trip
Viper – Drain (con) 4 (Slow Fade 1)
Constrictor – Improved Grab, Improved Pin, Crushing Pin, Strike 1 (coils, Mighty)
Bear or Lion – Growth 1, Strike 1 (mighty)
Eel – Stun 1 (electricity), Immunity 1 (drowning), Environmental Adaptation 1, Swimming 1

Warforged ‘racial powers’ Container 3 [15 pp]
Immunity 14 (life support, aging, hunger/thirst, need for sleep, critical hits (half effect, roll d20, on a 1-10, the critical does no extra damage), [13]
Protection 2, [2]
Innate [1]

I totally re-arranged the Immunities. Warforged are supposed to be immune to Fatigue and Paralysis and Sickened/Nauseated Conditions, but I didn't feel like adding another 15-20 pp worth of Immunities. It would probably have cost *more* to accurately reflect their Immunities than to just give them Immunity 30 (Fortitude effects)!

Naturally, many Warforged will vary from this 'base model.' This is the no-frills model you get right out of high school. You'll need a better job (or generous parents) before you can exciting upgrades like

Adamantine Body (Protection +6 (2 Impervious), -1 Drawback (-5' ground move, or 3/4ths Speed), [7 pp]
Armblade (Strike 3, Crit-19-20, Mighty, Improved Disarm), [6 pp]
Armbow (Blast 3, Crit 19-20, Unreliable (5 / day)), [4 pp]
Battlefist (Strike 2, Mighty, Variable Damage (piercing or bludgeoning), [4 pp]
Ironwood Body (Protection +1 (2 Impervious), [3]
Mithral Body (Protection +3), [3]
Spiked Body (Strike 1 (Aura, Duration 2, Mighty), [5 pp]
Traction Claws (Sure-Footed 1, +4 Climb checks) [3 pp]

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've done some work on a RuneQuest 2 rules version of Eberron (and run it a couple of times). I could share that with you if you are interested, although it is more holes than content at the moment!

It seems to me that the challenge is that Eberron, in many ways, tries to be the quintessential D&D setting. If you migrate it to another setting, are you getting rid of the D&Disms, or converting them? Which setting are you thinking of moving it to, by the way?

I think Eberron could play well with a pulp friendly system like FATE or Savage Worlds. I'd tone down a lot of the D&Disms, like all the races and spellcasting classes, and focus more on a noir mystery, adventure or espionage type game.

It'd be pretty different from as written Eberron, but I think using the geography as written, and focusing on the pulp and noir vibes while de-emphasizing the D&D vibes could make for a pretty interesting game.

Remove ads