• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Ghostwalk classes in a non-Ghostwalk campaign?

Laman Stahros

First Post
What, if any, are the drawbacks of using Ghostwalk classes (Eidolon, Eidoloncer) in a non-Ghostwalk campaign? I just had my group's Rogue/Ranger die in our campaign tonight (Sunday) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to why I should not allow him to take levels in Eidolon. TIA

spectre72

First Post
You mean other than the fact that the rest of the party will probably try to hack it apart :heh:

I did this in my PBEM recently and the party is fighting over if they should allow it to continue on the quest or should they hack it apart.

I don't know how it will turn out, but bringing someone back like this should be approached with caution.

Scott

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I'm considering making this the default death occurrence for my upcoming campaign. It lets your players continue to play their dead characters or choose to let them move on and create a new one.

If it's hardcoded into the setting, people won't necessarily freak out about it. ;) Plus it gives me another element to play with in my needlessly-complex religious system - different faiths having different attitudes towards living as a ghost.

Some might view it as a natural step - when you die you become a ghost, and eventually you move on. Some of these might view an attempt to return to life as defiance of the natural order. Other faiths might call becoming a ghost a selfish act - perhaps they believe that your soul's remaining in this world prevents the birth of a new person, or the reincarnation of someone else at least (and they would probably have a similar attitude towards resurrection and reincarnation as well, even without ghosts in the mix).

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
I've done this IMC before. Remember societal issues with the "undead" not just how the party may feel. A lot of the time, the ghost player ends up sleeping outside of town with the druid or ranger's more exotic companions.

Laman Stahros

First Post
spectre72 said:
You mean other than the fact that the rest of the party will probably try to hack it apart.
Why would the party try to hack it apart?

Gnarlo said:
I've done this IMC before. Remember societal issues with the "undead" not just how the party may feel. A lot of the time, the ghost player ends up sleeping outside of town with the druid or ranger's more exotic companions.
Yah, that's what I was thinking, too. Considering that he was the primary target of a 20d6 Chain Lightning trap that he triggered, he is going to be awful gruesome, too.

I'm having second thoughts, now.

Remove ads