• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Magic Missic for OAs? [PA/PVP Podcast]

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
According to a statement by Chris Perkins in one of the Penny Arcade/PVP podcasts, a wizard can use magic missile for an Opportunity Attack. I can't find anything to support this claim, since it seems that only melee attacks can be used for Opportunity Attacks.

Anyone have any thoughts?

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
I believe Magic Missle states that it can function as a "basic attack" for the wizard - and an OA requires that only "basic attacks" can be used.

Mezzer

First Post
He did indeed, but you have to take into account exactly when the podcast was made, the rules apparently changed significantly since then. There is nothing in the PHB which would allow you to use magic missle (or eldritch blast for that matter) as an OA. Their description does include "can be used as a basic attack", which makes them useful when you get extra basic attacks (only the warlord does that I think), but that's it. The rules specify a melee basic attack when it comes to OAs, and Eldritch Blast and Magic Missle are ranged.

Beastman

First Post
Checked too. Can't find anything to support this...

OA are basic melee attacks (p 290)

Magic Missile is a basic attack BUT a ranged one (p 159) , so

No OA with magic missiles as per RAW

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Looks like a simple mistake. He either confused the terms "opportunity" and "basic" when reporting what he used, or he confused "basic" and "opportunity" when trying to figure out what he was allowed to use.

It's either an in-game error or a reporting error.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads