• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Using Pathfinder to run the Sunless Citadel?

kbowen0188

Explorer
I am a long-time fan of the D&D 3.5 edition, but when I took a glance into Pathfinder, it became my new favorite. I just ordered the book, and my friends used the SRD to roll their new characters, for our very first campaign.

With this in mind, I am planning on taking us through the Sunless Citadel module. I have read that it is a good roleplay for beginning DMs and characters.

Do I need to adjust the challenges the players will face in the Sunless Citadel, since it was written for 3.5, and Pathfinder character classes are a bit more powerful then the 3.5 versions?

And just to clarify, I need to use the fast progression for experience rewards, to keep them leveled?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Actually, wasn't Sunless Citadel 3.0?

To be honest, I haven't played Sunless Citadel and also haven't studied the power levels of Pathfinder vs 3.X too carefully (though it is true Pathfinder characters are a bit stronger). My suggestion, though, is that, since your group hasn't played before (it sounds like), don't bump the encounters much if at all. The little boost of extra power will help new players keep their PCs alive a bit more. I ran one of WotC's free adventures (The Burning Plague) for a group of new players using the Pathfinder Beta rules without increasing the challenge level of the encounters. They made it through without any character deaths, but their resources were stretched thin at times.

As far as XP progression, does Sunless Citadel assume they level up by a certain point in the adventure? If so, you might want to check how much XP is available by that point in the adventure and pick the progression based on that.

kbowen0188

Explorer
Thank you! Your tips are very much appreciated. You are correct, SC is a 3.0 adventure, just a bit of overlooking on my part.

So far, my characters have only fought a few rats, and that was nothing to write home about. The first session was mostly roleplaying, which I was happy the players enjoyed doing. :]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads