• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Photoshop to "paint" drawings

I'm a pretty decent hand with drawing with pencil and pen, and I've often thought it'd be pretty neat to scan such artwork and "paint" or color it in Photoshop, but I've never done so, and I'm not sure what the best way to do it is. Can anyone give me any pointers? Should I make the image transparent except for the line-drawing itself, and then "paint" on a separate underlayer? What tools are the best to use to paint, etc.?

Any and all tips or advise is welcome.

Psionicist

Explorer
A pen tablet is invaluable if you are used to drawing with real pens. For the actual drawing I'm not really sure, sorry. For the best result you should probably work with curves (as in vector graphics) but if your paintings have lots of detail this will look messy after a while. Different kinds of air brushes will probably do for the most part though.

Dark Jezter

First Post
CG coloring of hand-drawn images in Photoshop is something I've done myself a few times (I also know a couple of people who are really good at it).

Basically, you'll want to use the black and white image itself as the "bottom" layer. For every area of the drawing that you color, create a different layer. Do not color on the base image itself, just the layers. Use the lasso tool to select areas to fill in so you don't "spill over" into other areas that will use different colors.

The information I gave you is just very basic stuff, of course. But you can find some really good online tutorials for CG coloring in Photoshop if you look around.

Why would I have the drawing as the base layer? I would want the dark ink lines to still show; sorta modern computer colored comic book style.

Isn't this how Claudio Pozas works, too? If I could do coloring as good as he does, I'd be very, very happy.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Why would I have the drawing as the base layer? I would want the dark ink lines to still show; sorta modern computer colored comic book style.

Isn't this how Claudio Pozas works, too? If I could do coloring as good as he does, I'd be very, very happy.

The dark ink lines will still show as long as you don't cover them up with the colors you are using. It's acually a lot easier than it sounds once you get used to it.

Anyways, here is one of the tutorials I managed to find online about CG coloring in Photoshop. Hopefully it will be able to help you out with your CG coloring.

Drew Baker

First Post
I've been painting with Photoshop for several years now. Here's an overview of my process:

Equipment: pencil, bristol board, scanner, Wacom tablet (though other brands seem to have improved a great deal over the past few years), Photoshop 6 (an oldie but a goodie).

I still start my digital paintings with a scanned pencil drawing. The drawing is mainly lines -- I don't render too much, since I'll just have to do it over later, but sometimes I will try to establish my lighting if I think I'll forget later on. With the drawing open in Photoshop I make a new layer, set it to multiply, and fill it with a medium gray or burnt sienna sort of color.

On that layer I build up my darks with a burnt umber kind of color, or dark gray. I don't jump to black, but use a 93-96% dark. Here I'm establishing my lighting and defining forms. It's almost all about drawing at this point. Ideally I have colors in mind and am planning ahead for them, but I try to get the lights and darks mostly working first.

After the darks are set I'll go back in with a lighter gray (like a yellow ochre to naples yellow color) and establish my lights. Again, this is for lighting and forms, and is a lot like how genuine painters do/used to do their underpaintings. There's some difficulty getting the lights to work over the pencils below, so after I've got most things blocked in I'll flatten the image so I can paint over the pencils where I want to.

I'll frequently use a new layer set to color mode for the next step, to block in my coors without needing to worry about messing up my lights and darks. (I think setting the paintbrush's mode to color would give the same effect while needing less RAM, but I'm not certain. If your system has trouble with layered documents give it a try.) It's important to give the colors variety -- so a red thing isn't a flat red, and the green thing isn't a flat green, and a white thing has all the colors around it reflecting off it -- and it's easiest at this stage.

After a while working with the color layer I flatten the image and go at it with my paintbrush. From here on out I rarely work with any layers at all. I think people tend to use layers in case they want to go back, but I use snapshots and the history eraser for that. Not using layers makes files much smaller, so saving is much easier, and I think it tends to need a less powerful computer. I think it's really quite handy.

Here's the progression of a recent/current piece:
Drawing - http://www.drewbaker.com/en-1.jpg
Darks on multiply layer - http://www.drewbaker.com/en-2.jpg
Lights on multiply layer - http://www.drewbaker.com/en-3.jpg
Lights on flattened image - http://www.drewbaker.com/en-4.jpg
Basic colors on color layer - http://www.drewbaker.com/en-5.jpg
Where it stands now - http://www.drewbaker.com/en-painting.jpg

--Drew

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
I do basically the same thing.

1) I scan a sketch in...I usually have to clean it up a bit, erase some smudges, what have you.

2) I add a layer and set it to "multiply" any color added will 'add' the black beneath it, so lines will show through. Sometimes I'll add two or three more layers with different colors. to see how they mix, or to affect mood.

*) If I want my pencils show a bit more, i'll duplicate the background layer and set it to multiply. Sometimes I just use curves to do the same thing.

Remove ads