• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Powers Outside of Combat

According to RAW, does an effect of an attack happen regardless of successful attack or only on a successful hit.

The "Effect" line happens no matter what. The "Hit" line happens on a hit, the "Miss" line on a miss, and the "Effect" line in either case. :)

Denaes

First Post
The "Effect" line happens no matter what. The "Hit" line happens on a hit, the "Miss" line on a miss, and the "Effect" line in either case. :)

Ahh, so with Otherworld Stride you could think of it less as an attack that allows you to teleport and more like a teleport that can potentially cause damage.

I think I confused the "Effect" with the "Hit"/"Miss" rules.

Thank you so much. That does make some of the powers a bit better :)

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
There are a small handful of powers that work really well outside of combat - perhaps even better! - as well as within it. Mostly utilities, of course. One that comes to me immediately is the Avenger's Oath of the Relentless Hunter that lets you determine distance and direction to a target, even across planes to some extent! A sampling of others by class in the PHB1:

Cleric - Cloud Chariot, Angel of the Eleven Winds
Fighter - Get Over Here, Come and Get It
Paladin - Astral Speech, Angelic Rescue
Ranger - Crucial Advice, Undaunted Stride, Longstrider
Rogue - (most of them - the Rogue really shines here)
Warlock - Beguiling Tongue, Shadow Veil, Fey Switch
Wizard - (again, most - keeping pace with the Rogue)

The majority of them involve moving/flying/teleporting. Some give bonuses to skill rolls and a few - primarily the wizard's - just do neat things. I'd like to see more in this latter category. Perhaps something like..

Oh, You Mean THIS Key?
Daily, Free * Martial
Prerequisite: 13 Dex, must be trained in Theivery
Effect: When you use this power, you reveal a small, non-unique item that you pilfered from an NPC. The item is determined when the power is used, not at the time the pickpocketing would have taken place.

Encourage your players to take utility powers that don't give bonuses - or do so to skill rolls - if you want to see powers used outside of combat. Also consider making rituals more plentiful and possibly quicker to cast.

Remove ads