• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Wisdom to resist harm

Anthony Vu

First Post
I was wondering. Could you use Wisdom Saving Throw to resist harm, like for example for barbarian when they Relentless rage. Like for them they use Constitution saving throws but if I would to make a relentless rage equivalent for like for example Monk, could it make sense to use Wisdom/Willpower instead of Constitution?

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I was wondering. Could you use Wisdom Saving Throw to resist harm, like for example for barbarian when they Relentless rage. Like for them they use Constitution saving throws but if I would to make a relentless rage equivalent for like for example Monk, could it make sense to use Wisdom/Willpower instead of Constitution?
The Relentless Rage feature is (essentially) a modified Death saving throw that allows a barbarian to leverage his proficiency bonus in an attempt to resist unconsciousness. Constitution, as a representation of physical endurance, is an appropriate ability score to test in that scenario.

Wisdom and willpower are defined and tested in specific ways. What types of harm would you like to see a monk resist in this manner?

:)

aco175

Legend
At first thought this sounds a lot like 4e where each class attacked with their main ability. You can try and justify it by saying mages think logically when they stab someone with a dagger and apply intelligence to their attacks. The cleric uses wisdom the same way but god guides their hand. Mostly it seems like trying to get by with only ability you need to have high. "I'm a smart fighter, I use Intelligence instead of Strength, This way I can get a good Investigation check."

I think it can be fine. I went along with it in 4e and we still had fun. I think you should try it out on a NPC monk monster and see how it goes.

Wisdom is not willpower; it is perception and awareness.

In 5E, willpower is modelled by Constitution, which is why a concentration check is a CON save.

Zethnos

Explorer
I could see it working under the right circumstances to be honest. I mean the monks get unarmored defense which uses wisdom to up their armor class. I believe this could be explained by they are so perceptive of the battle field and always so aware of their surroundings that they see attacks coming a split second ahead of time so they can "avoid" it and add it to their AC.

If you had something themed similarly I could see that working. Maybe something a long the lines of letting them have a reaction that uses their (or half) wisdom mod to reduce the damage dealt to an adjacent ally. You could come up with some fun things in that regard. Other than that, if you are going purely physical I would say you'd use con. Just because even based on IRL monks, they spend so many years training their bodies to be able to resist so much physical force and strain. They a lot of times attribute it to their Qi or in D&D terms Ki (I study and practice traditional Chinese Kung Fu so I know a lot about the process). If you were working with monks specifically you could use Ki points as well. Or maybe even a feat that grants you Ki kind of like how martial adept gives you maneuvers.

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
At first thought this sounds a lot like 4e where each class attacked with their main ability. You can try and justify it by saying mages think logically when they stab someone with a dagger and apply intelligence to their attacks. The cleric uses wisdom the same way but god guides their hand. Mostly it seems like trying to get by with only ability you need to have high. "I'm a smart fighter, I use Intelligence instead of Strength, This way I can get a good Investigation check."
This blurs the lines between attributes. Which isn't inherently bad, but it could amplify min/maxing.
[MENTION=6908337]Anthony Vu[/MENTION]: Yes. You could. If your DM allows it. D&D is pretty thoroughly tinkered though, so you have to be careful when making rules changes that one player doesn't get an advantage that upsets other players.

Remove ads