• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Utility of a Charisma to Alignment correlation?

DamionW

First Post
As I was driving home from work today, this idea came to me. It will be a discussion of how to relate the Charisma score of a character to their alignment. It's less of a new rule as I see it and more of a way to make sense of existing game mechanics. Mods, if you feel this belongs more in the House Rules forum, please move it as you see fit.

I've always been bothered by the nebulous handling that Dungeons and Dragons has given to the CHA ability score. They throw in the characteristics of persuasiveness, force of personality, comeliness, ability to manipulate magical effects at will (Use Magic Device skill and spontaneous casting), and many other factors all into one stat without rhyme or reason. I don't see a justification why a sorceror should have to be either agreeable or attractive to do their job well, nor how dwarves or half-orcs are less forceful in their convictions or make worse leaders. Those matchings of charisma characteristic to ability score value always irked me.

So, just now I thought of making the spectrums of character behavior that are inherent in the CHA ability score link up with the personalities that are inherent in the alignment system. For example:

GOOD:
A good character's charisma score relates to their perceived self-interest. A good character with a high CHA score has an easy time convincing others to take an action because the other individual believes the character is truly motivated to help others. For example a paladin of good intentions can use Diplomacy on a baron to lower taxes or a similar action and the baron would consider it because it would benefit him. The paladin would come off as having no interest in the outcome and instead be trying to help the baron out. At the opposite end, a good character with low CHA can be desiring to help people, but always comes off as either too timid or "having an angle." For every attempt he makes to do well for others, it rubs them the wrong way because he wasn't forward enough in trying to help or they see the character as trying to really help themselves and not another person.

LAW
A lawful character's CHA score relates to their perceived integrity and ability to follow through on a course of action. High CHA law characters are believed because they always say what they mean and mean what they say. The aura of their integrity is palpable. A low CHA lawful character is simply seen as being anal and sniveling. They like things to be ordered just to make things easy for themselves, but this does not come across to others as having a strong sense of honor.

EVIL The evil aspect of CHA is malice and lack of conscience. An evil character with high CHA can bluff or intimidate well because he honestly comes across as not having a single care for anyone else or how his words or actions affect others. A low CHA evil character is simply seen as craven. No one believes they have the guts to truly take charge and do anything other than save their hides.

CHAOS
The chaotic aspect of CHA represents spontaneity and gregariousness. A high CHA chaotic character is quick-witted and skilled in developing reparte and the right things to say. The best bards (chaotic with high CHA) rely on thinking fast on their toes to develop enjoyable and inspiring performances. A low CHA chaotic character is crass and thoughtless. They rapidly stick their foot in their mouth and insult others because they don't think through their actions.

Thus by seeing a character's combination of CHA score on the mortal 3-18 scale and combining it with their alignment a player/GM can develop a unified sense of their personality. Both the alignment and CHA score should affect how other people treat the character and now you can have a direct relation between the two. For some examples:

LG characters run the gamut from the chivalrous paladins whose word is their bond and don't rest until the weak are provided for to the annoying mayor who is trying to do right for his constituents, but comes across as fatuous and only out for re-election.

LN characters spread between the crusading clerics of St. Cuthbert whose honor is beyond reproach to anal-retentive bueracrats who don't stop whining until all paperwork is signed in triplicate

CN characters go from vivacious bon vivants that are a thrill to be around to raving madmen who everyone flees because they're too unpredictable.

CE characters are on a spectrum from the razor-witted criminal masterminds that have formulated a response for your next statement before it has left your mouth to the slimy, craven mooks who will sell their brother into slavery as long as they can live another day.

Much of this seems fairly common sense, but it has some very profound mechanical effects once you codify it in concrete terms:

1) Physical appearance now is severed from CHA and the player can simply choose one as appropriate, or the DM can develop a random attribute for this. However, one can play a vapid, vain yet attractive person or an ugly but good-hearted and true character with these alignment descriptions.

2) The correlation between a high value in any given CHA facet diplayed above and the respective score is proportional to how strong a character's conviction is to effect his/her alignment on the world. Thus, while all good characters mean well, only those with the strength of character to consistently do well for others without regard to themselves will be perceived by other individuals as persuasive/likable. While all evil characters are self-motivated, only those who learn to disregard others reactions and possible hurt feelings can effectively intimidate others with their menace or lie effortlessly through their teeth, etc.

3) This strength of conviction and willingness to impress your alignment/ideals on the world around you is what fuels spontaneous casting prowess. No longer does strict agreeableness or attractiveness correspond to a powerful sorceror or favored soul. Instead, the will to take their beliefs and ideals and impress them upon the world correlates to their proficiency in impressing their will upon the arcane/divine forces around them.

4) When using CHA based skills, it becomes obvious how as a player you can roleplay to your character's strengths; or how DMs can arbitrate a character's shortcomings. If you're a neutral good character, sell your diplomacy attempt as being what best for everyone, don't overstress your honor or try and give ultimatums. Thus, iff your subject feels your alignment come through (the CHA modifier moves the roll to a success), they'll believe that you have their interests in mind and be more inclined to agree. If as a DM you find a evil PC failing an intimidate attempt, you can roleplay the NPC's reaction as being insulted and commenting how the PC doesn't have the gaul to truly harm him.

It's not a perfect 1:1 ratio, but when you sit down and spell it out, it makes developing a character's attitudes easier and makes CHA less of a dump stat if you are trying to achieve a certain personality. I just wanted to put these musings out there and gauge everyone's reactions. Any comments?

DamionW

First Post
*bump*

Is this just so common sense for everyone else that no one wants to comment? I personally think the linking of the two gives more meaning to each. Alignment is argued by many to not have enough mechanical significance and CHA is so nebulous it's hard to pin down what it really means. So, am I completely alone in this idea?

gizmo33

First Post
IMO characters with like alignments should get bonuses in using diplomacy with each other - although in situations where we roleplay the interaction, the bonus would come from saying things consistent with the target's alignment. I suppose reputation would also factor in - so a known evil character could get bonuses to intimidate, and a known lawful character could get bonuses when trying to make others believe the truth of what he's saying.

The idea that a character with high/low charisma can projected the good/bad attributes of his alignment is an interesting one. The problem is that I would think that a lawful character with high charisma "projecting" his alignment at a chaotic character would produce a more negative result in a lot of cases.

IMO ability scores should be the last thing to be used to interpret what a character is.

I think of it like this: A character with high charisma is not necessarily persuasive. A character with +10 diplomacy skill is persuasive. So by choosing what skills to develop, you really get to choose which of the many attributes of charisma you would like to focus on. One character with high charisma might be a good sorcerer, while another is a good diplomat.

The difference helps remove some of the confusion when interpreting ability scores. Wisdom is probably just as muddle as charisma in this area.

Teemu

Hero
DamionW said:
CHAOS The chaotic aspect of CHA represents spontaneity and gregariousness. A high CHA chaotic character is quick-witted and skilled in developing reparte and the right things to say. The best bards (chaotic with high CHA) rely on thinking fast on their toes to develop enjoyable and inspiring performances. A low CHA chaotic character is crass and thoughtless. They rapidly stick their foot in their mouth and insult others because they don't think through their actions.
So Charismatic Chaotic people are also Intelligent?

DamionW

First Post
Teemu said:
So Charismatic Chaotic people are also Intelligent?

Well, what I intended is that chaos implies change, and with a high CHA score you utilize changes in dialogue rapidly to your advantage. If you have a low CHA, the changes in a discussion come faster than you can use to your advantage, you speak before you think and aggrivate people with your crassness. Another possible interpretation/dichotomy that could be used for Chaotic CHA is that Chaotic alignments value freedom. If you have a high CHA and are Chaotic, you value everyone's freedom and people around you feel their inhibitions lowered. People with a low CHA that are Chaotic are absorbed in their personal freedom and enjoyment to the detriment of others, making people see you as self-centered.

Overall though, I think both a CHA score and alignment should drive the personality a character is role-played as. It makes sense to me that there be some correlation between your world view on life and how well you interact with people using your force of personality.

This only works if alignment implies a certain personality, which I don't believe it does. Alignment implies a certain values set and preferred actions, but I don't think that can be taken to dictate how it drives personailty and interpersonal interactions. All LG or CE characters are not personality clones. You could just as easily have an outgoing, fun loving, vivacious CE character as a brooding, overbearing, maniacal CE character, both with a 14 Cha. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

DamionW

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
This only works if alignment implies a certain personality, which I don't believe it does. Alignment implies a certain values set and preferred actions, but I don't think that can be taken to dictate how it drives personailty and interpersonal interactions. All LG or CE characters are not personality clones. You could just as easily have an outgoing, fun loving, vivacious CE character as a brooding, overbearing, maniacal CE character, both with a 14 Cha. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Well then I just don't get what does affect personality, or what use the CHA stat or alignment truly are for. If CHA equates to a character's ability to lead and persuade and you can be either brooding and stand-offish or fun and vivacious both at CHA 14, how are they both equally capable at interacting with people? In other words, what function does the CHA stat serve? I think personality belongs somewhere in the spectrum of CHA and alignment, because both change the way you treat other people. Even if alignment is just values and CHA is just persuasive capacity, then the correlation between the two should have some function in how your character goes about talking to other people and phrasing his interactions. That's my 2 cp.

Mercule

Adventurer
DamionW said:
Well then I just don't get what does affect personality,

The character's mom and dad? Their friends growing up? The way their prom date treated them? Of course, that's only if you subscribe the the nurture side of the nurture/nature debate. On the nature side, you'd have race, sex, and other genetic determinants.

Alignment is descriptive not proscriptive. Saying that alignment affects personality has the cart before the horse. Only once the character has a fully defined personality can he really be tagged with an alignment. If you try to define alignment first, you end up with a goatrope.

You also end up with the nagging question: What would the character's personality be if he/she was in an alignment-free setting (say, Arcana Evolved)? If alignment precedes personality, then you have a bit of a sticking point.

Remove ads