• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Utility Power

So my question regarding these is how often can they be used outside of combat?

As often as they can be used within combat. At wills can be used at will, encounters can be used once per encounter (once every short rest), and dailies can be used once per day.

DEP

First Post
Excellent! Thank you:) I thought as much but I had some people think they could be used as often as they wanted outside of combat. I will have to spread word at the FLGS.

Thanks again

webrunner

First Post
I'm not sure an actual rest is required... but you do have to wait 5 minutes.

Waiting five minutes counts as a 'short rest' as per the rules - assuming it's not 'waiting five minutes for a guy to come through the door' or some such thing..

If that waiting five minutes counts as a short rest (ie: it's not stressful) then it recharges Encounter powers.

If it doesn't count as a short rest, then you dont get to use your encounter powers again.

I'm not sure an actual rest is required... but you do have to wait 5 minutes.

A short rest is required:

PHB page 54 said:
An encounter power can be used once per encounter. You need to take a short rest (page 263) before you can use one again.

If it doesn't count as a short rest, then you dont get to use your encounter powers again.
This you'll need to convince me of. Please explain?

PHB page 263 said:
Short Rest

No Strenuous Activity: You have to rest during a short rest. You can stand guard, sit in place, ride on a wagon or other vehicle, or do other tasks that don’t require much exertion.

DracoSuave

First Post
For example, if you're in the middle if a single-encounter skill challenge, you can't short rest in the middle to recover your encounter power.

An example of this is a tense diplomatic negotiation with the High Duke of Cantermoor. Tempers are at the surface, and you -need- to prevent war. This is a single encounter, altho it might last longer than five minutes.

During the encounter, you use an encounter power to give a boost to a Diplomacy roll. Because you cannot leave the encounter, you cannot take a short rest to recover it, even if each roll represents five or ten minutes of negotiation.

(However, there's nothing saying you couldn't ask for a brief recess in the middle so you can all take a rest. This would definately count as a short rest and you could recover your powers then)

Remove ads