• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

V The new Series (spoilers)

Gog

First Post
I watched the new show last night. Not real impressed so far, I'll give it another episode or two but I'm pretty meh on it right now.

I realize how cheesy the original mini-series and series were, I've been watching them on Syfy the past week and the new show feels just like the old one. Stilted dialogue, the people clapping after the first address from the alien leader, plus it seem to be developing way too fast. From we are here to help to we want you for food and have been here for years, in the first show seems a little much.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The thing that gets me are the blatant (and thoroughly avoidable) plot holes.

I don't consider this one a spoiler, as it is stuff that happens early in the first episode....

"Until today, we thought we were alone..."

Lady, your people have cures for 65 human diseases, and know all human languages. You honestly want me to believe that you didn't know we were here before *today*?!?

Gog

First Post

I don't consider this one a spoiler, as it is stuff that happens early in the first episode....

Lady, your people have cures for 65 human diseases, and know all human languages. You honestly want me to believe that you didn't know we were here before *today*?!?

My wife said pretty much the same thing "So how long have you been watching our tv shows to learn the language?"

I also had a problem with how fast the lady jumped to armed resistance is the only option.

Rykion

Explorer
Who would ever buy that an alien race, with 29 motherships over the most populated cities on earth, come in peace? Right, of course it takes millions of you to make first contact with us. Certainly not an invasion force here, move along citizen. Then they ask for water and other resources? Sure just take our water. We don't need it. I'm sure the Visitors couldn't find a single non-populated world with water.:eek:

I still have hope for the show. At least they changed the Visitors' clothing from military style uniforms.

Water of course being composed of hydrogen and oxygen, two of the most common elements in the universe.

Okay then. So should I just skip this show? I was only really intrigued because they had Morena Baccarin.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I actually still have hope for the show.

I think the holes are there because they are rushing through setup. The show is probably not about how the resistance gets set up, but about what they do once they are resisting. So, getting them to resisting quickly is necessary.

Me, I'd rather then start kind of in medias res, and cover the formation in flashback form, but I can understand them not feeling the general public would go for that.

Gog

First Post
Water of course being composed of hydrogen and oxygen, two of the most common elements in the universe.

Okay then. So should I just skip this show? I was only really intrigued because they had Morena Baccarin.

and an element abundant on our planet. Not sure what that element is exactly but we have a lot of it.

I'm going to give it a couple more episodes, maybe the first one as just so we could get right into the action next time.

Just found this

"Originally, V was supposed to premiere in early 2010 with the return of Lost, then in late 2009. It got moved up to November sweeps, but it will only air for four weeks before going on break. After that, it won't return until March, so even if the V TV series gets some momentum going in 2009, it will have to reestablish itself again in 2010."

Last edited:

Cergorach

The Laughing One

We *know* they are lying, but the people in the series only see a highly evolved race that might have the power to decode human language in hours and find cures to 65 human diseases in days/weeks. Not that strange when you think about it, things like penicillin would cure a lot of sick people a few hundred years ago...

The church that accepts aliens within a day, reporters that ignored when asking why they look so much like humans. It seems that the aliens have infiltrated all levels of government, industry and religion, so they should be able to pretty much limit 'embarrassing' questions...

They want water and an (as of yet) unknown mineral, maybe something pretty rare in the universe, maybe a mineral that we haven't found yet. We of course *know* that (most of) the aliens want us for snacks ;-)

Armed resistance isn't that great a leap when your partner just tried to kill you, is an alien, and you killed. Everyone is accepting the aliens as saviors, but it is clear to the FBI lady that they have had Terrorist cells for a while, they are killers and her son likes them. For someone who already uses firearms, it isn't that big a leap...

I have some hope that we get some more info on the aliens that have been working on earth.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Personally, I found it rather dull, lacking in an energy that other shows (SGU, Flashforward) have had. I don't mean action, per se; it just felt very lifeless to me.

I think it was a wise decision to start with the basics of the original miniseries, rather than revisit them all again. Hopefully they can tell their own story from that. Though I will admit I'll be a little sad if the Red Dust doesn't come about.

Yes, but together as water? Probably not as abundant. It probably uses a lot less energy to harvest water from an abundant planetary source than to make it via hydrogen and oxygen.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We *know* they are lying, but the people in the series only see a highly evolved race that might have the power to decode human language in hours and find cures to 65 human diseases in days/weeks.

My point is rather that "might have the power" is really pretty bogus - Occam's Razor applies. What requires fewer amazing assumptions - fantastic powers, or just hanging out for a while and learning?

Not that strange when you think about it, things like penicillin would cure a lot of sick people a few hundred years ago...

Sorry, but alien biology is... alien. They can know their own workings forwards and backwards, but that should not give them much insight into the details of ours.

It seems that the aliens have infiltrated all levels of government, industry and religion, so they should be able to pretty much limit 'embarrassing' questions...

Well, it limits official asking of questions, which is not the same thing.

My point is that they can tell the truth (or at least more truth), and have it raise fewer questions. "We spent the last year in transit listening to your radio and TV broadcasts, learning your languages. We are so happy to finally meet you," rather than, "We only learned about your existence *today*", which just isn't very credible.

Quite simple - it is a bit of shoddyness in the writing. Not unexpected.

We of course *know* that (most of) the aliens want us for snacks ;-)

I have been avoiding spoilers for the series. I am not sure (or convinced) that they want humans as a food source. Humans take too long to mature to make good food animals anyway. :p

Armed resistance isn't that great a leap when your partner just tried to kill you, is an alien, and you killed.

No, given the evidence before her, her actions seem reasonable, at least.

Remove ads