• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

v3.5 Core Books on sale!

JayOmega

First Post
DonAdam said:
what rules do they give for creatures with large or larger facings passing through portals which are smaller than them. Do they have rules for entering another creature's space?
Answered on the scanned-in pages on the gamingreport site. It takes twice as much "movement" to travel through a small area. So a 10' creature in a 5' hall uses 10' of "movement" for every 5' square he moves (but the 5-foot-step rules work normally). I haven't seen any rule changes relating to entering another creature's space.
Muaddib said:
I haven't seen this answered anywhere, and please feel free to point me in the right direction if I have missed it, but here's my question.

How is combat on horseback dealt with now that a horse takes up a 10'x10' space. Where is the rider placed on the battlemat and what kind of reach does he have? I've been trying to work this out in my mind for months.
Half-answered in the revisions thread. You cover as much area as your mount does. Nothing said about reach, but why would riding a bulette give you 10' reach with a dagger or 20' with a lance?

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
JayOmega said:
You cover as much area as your mount does. Nothing said about reach, but why would riding a bulette give you 10' reach with a dagger or 20' with a lance?
You don't have 10' reach - you still have 5' reach around the back of the horse.

The It's Man

Explorer
Archade said:
Could someone with copies of 3.5 tell me what the cost and time requirements are for researching a new spell? I understand that it has become much cheaper in the revision.

Thanks!
I assume you are talking about adding a spell in a spellbook and not divising/researching a completly new spell...
PHB:
First decipher the spell: spellcraftcheck D20+spell's level (or read magic or help from the writer of the spell)
Then a day is spend to study the spell, making a spellcraftcheck (DC15 + spell's level).
Record it in your own spellbook: a day and it takes 1 page per level (0-level: 1 page) for 100 gp per page (this is cheaper, as in 3.0 it took more pages for a spell).

Wizards can charge a fee if you copy from them (spell's level * 50 gp or trade of other spells).

DMG:
(...) assume it takes 1 day per spell and research cost is twice the price an NPC would charge for castinbg the spell for the character.

Researching original spells: 1 week per spell's level and 1000 gp per spell's level, plus a spellcraftcheck (DC10 + spell's level).

Archade

Azer Paladin
Research

Actually, I am talking about researching a new spell (actually, one of my players has a cleric who wants to add a spell from a 3rd party book to his spell list, but that's like research as far as I'm concerned)

What's that about the DMG saying 2x NPC casting cost??

Thanks!

The It's Man

Explorer
Re: Research

Archade said:
Actually, I am talking about researching a new spell (actually, one of my players has a cleric who wants to add a spell from a 3rd party book to his spell list, but that's like research as far as I'm concerned)

Ah, in that case, I hope that the info I gave about that is enough. A wizard or a priest needs of course a library or something like that for the research.

What's that about the DMG saying 2x NPC casting cost??

Thanks!
Very good question... the paragraph is not clear/contradicting with info from the PHB IMHO, as, for instance, the PHB states that it takes two days to research a spell.

I think they are talking about costs of researching all new spells a wizard gets even the two "free" spells a wizard gets, as the line I quoted is followed by "(but no roll is needed for spells that come with level advancement)".

---
Trevalon Moonleirion, are you talking about my post? Did I mix up the sequence of words again? BTW, I didn't intend to write full sentences, but just wanted to give "short notes".

Last edited:

Cergorach

The Laughing One
@Lord Rasputin:
dispelling: Do you mean spells cast through the use of Permanency? If so: This application of permanency can be dispelled only by a casterf higher level than you when you casyt the spell. Spells cast on other creatures, objects, or locations (not on you) are vunerable to dispel magic as normal. As far as i can see no changes.
divnation spells wizard:
0th: Detect Poison, Detect Magic, Read Magic
1st: Comprehend Languages, Detect Secret Doors, Detect Secret Doors, Identify, Truestrike
2nd: Detect Thoughts, Locate Object, See Invisibility
3rd: Arcane Sight, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Tongues
4th: Arcane Eye, Detect Scrying, Locate Creature, Scrying
5th: Contact other Plane, Prying Eyes, Rary's Telepathic Bond
6th: Analyze Dweomer, Legend Lore, True Seeing
7th: Greater Arcane Sight, Greater Scrying, Vision
8th: Discern Locatio, Moment of Prescience, Greater Prying Eyes
9th: Foresight
wiz class skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge, Profession, Spellcraft
bard class skills:Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Jump, Knowledge, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Sense motive, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Swim, Tumble, Use magical Device
persuasive feat:+2 Bluff, +2 Disable device checks
Magical Device DCs:
Activate blindly 25
Decipher a written spell 25+spell level
Use a scroll 20+caster level
Use a wand 20
Emulate a class feature 20
Emualte ability score: score+15
emulate race 25
emulate alignment 30
duration invisibility: 1min/level

@DonAdam:
large+ creatures and portals: move into or out of counts as moving 2 squares (instead of 1), if squezed into the portal -4 on attack rolls and AC. To squeeze through a space less then half your space's wide you'll have to make an escape artist check, you can't attack and AC is -4 and lose dex bonus to AC.

@Muaddib:
horseback and reach: same reach as normal, but count the horse's base as your own.

@Archade:
reasearching new spells: 1week/level, 1,000gp/week, Spellcraft check DC10+spell level, failed: all over again time and cost

@Trevalon Moonleirion:
Strange speak: Are you talking about some of the dutch i've been typing?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You don't have 10' reach - you still have 5' reach around the back of the horse.

There is no "back of the horse". That's the whole point of changing to square facings.

As I understand it, while mounted with a dagger, you effectively gain a 10x10 face with 5' reach. While mounted with a lance, you effectively gain a 10x10 face with 10' reach.

Anyone who can hit the horse can hit you, and you can hit anyone within 5' (or 10' with a reach weapon) of the horse, 'front' or 'back'.

-Hyp.

Hikaru

First Post
Thaumaturge

I would be thankful for any tidbit regarding the Thaumaturge, in addition to what is already known (= that it is a PrC with full clerical spell progression, with an emphasis on summoning).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads