• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vacation Reading

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
During this autumn, my wife and I are going to take the first real vacation we've had in the past 5 years or so - a cruise in the western Caribbean. Snorkeling, wandering around Mayan ruins, and so on.

There's also going to be a couple of days of floating around on a boat. I'd like to find a good book to enjoy on a deck chair.

Suggestions?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'd like to find a good book to enjoy on a deck chair.

Suggestions?
Yes, but we need more to work with?

What are some books you have enjoyed in the past?
Who are your favorite authors?
Is there any particular genre you favor?

That said, when in doubt, I recommend Elmore Leonard.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Peace and War by Joe Haldeman (it's the version with Forever War, Forever Free, and Forever Peace).

Or how about The Pythons Autobiography by the Pythons. :)

Last edited:

Gilladian

Adventurer
When I do reader's advisory at work, one of my first questions is always "What did you like most that you've read before?"

Without knowing at least something of your taste, this is shooting in the dark. But here are a variety of authors I truly enjoy for relaxing reading, and why.

Lois Bujold - the Miles Vorkosigan saga - but start with the books about his mother "Shards of Honor" and "Barrayar". Or try Curse of Chalion - fantasy rather than SF. One of the finest books ever written, in my mind.

Dick Francis - modern horse-racing mysteries (actually from the 50's - 90's, and then co-written with his son). I always learn something interesting from him!

Megan Whalen Turner - "Thief" is the first in a YA fantasy series loosely based on medieval and ancient Greece. I read that book, and immediately flipped it over to reread, just because I couldn't believe what I had not caught during the first reading.

"Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow has a lot to say about politics and government - if you don't like fairly far left opinions, you may find it a bit hard to take, but it is also a great adventure story about a teenage boy mixed up in the aftermath of terrorism in San Francisco.

"Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein - forget the retarded movie - this is a great adventure story, again with the politics, but quite different from CD above - Heinlein was a libertarian.

"Name of the Wind" by Rothfuss - first in a fantasy series, it is a doorstopper, but has lots of action and adventure. An interesting boy growing up story, as usual, but it starts in quite a different way than most.

Croesus

Adventurer
Shooting in the dark is kind of the point, here. I already know what I like to read. I'm curious to hear what others like to read when the point is to just sit, relax, and enjoy oneself.

Blackcollar by Timothy Zahn. Earth is conquered by aliens, but a few haven't given up. First in the series and by far the best.

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Teenagers forced to fight to the death in annual "games". Amazing book. There's a scene in the second half that literally had me in tears. First in a series.

Midnight Never Come by Marie Brennan. Elizabethan England. Two Queens, one mortal, one fey. She's written a couple sequels, though I don't think it's officially a trilogy.

Note: all of the above can stand on their own. If you like one, you can read the sequels, but it's not necessary.

Candy Bombers by Andrei Cherny. Story of the Berlin Airlift, with a focus on Hal Halvorsen, the American pilot who first dropped candy to the kids in Berlin. A history book that reminded me that we can make a difference when we choose to.

Caprica

First Post
Hemingway - The Essential Hemingway

It contains a full novel, long extracts from three others, and twenty five short stories. Something to suit whatever attention span you have at that moment in time, and the setting/mood of the novel (Fiesta) really lend themselves to lazy lounging in the sun :)

Remove ads