• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Valar D20 BoEF license terminated.

tburdett

Explorer
Haven't seen this posted yet.

BOOK OF EROTIC FANTASY D20 LICENSE TERMINATED, TO BE PUBLISHED NOW AS OGL PRODUCT

September 23, 2003 (SEATTLE, WA) -- Due to the recent addition of the "quality standards" provisions in the D20 System License, Valar Project, Inc.'s D20 license has been revoked for use with Book of Erotic Fantasy, effective immediately. The company announces today that Book of Erotic Fantasy will no longer be published as a D20 product, instead Valar Project, Inc. will be applying the Open Gaming License (OGL) tothe game.

"We strongly believe in the quality and integrity of the Book of Erotic Fantasy," says Valar Project, CEO Anthony Valterra. "Switching the product to OGL allows us the creative freedom to publish an adult product, without changing any of the game mechanics, that adds value and depth to your fantasy roleplaying game."

Book of Erotic Fantasy provides rules for issues of sex, seduction, love, marriage, conception, as well as other relationship issues, compatible with the world's best-selling fantasy roleplaying game. The Book of Erotic Fantasy will also feature an exclusive Phil & Dixie cartoon. Originally scheduled for an October release, the necessary changes to make the product an OGL complaint product will move the Book of Erotic Fantasy's release to November 2003 (MSRP $34.95).

Further, Valar Project, Inc. is obligated to request that all distributors and retailers in possession of the 32-page Gen Con exclusive Book of Erotic Fantasy preview immediately remove them from distribution. Distributors and retailers should either destroy the products and certify destruction to Valar Project, or return them to Valar Project for destruction. Valar Project will be contacting and working with distributors and retailers to ensure destruction of the previews.

Visit Valar Project, Inc. on the web at http://www.valarproject.com. Valar Project, Inc. is a privately held corporation formed by passionate gaming enthusiasts looking to fill the void of adult content in the gaming community. Recognizing the diversity of its consumers in belief, gender, race, orientation and preferences, Valar Project, Inc. will strive to create games of the highest caliber that entertain, stimulate and challenge, adding value to your campaign while holding true the promise of your gaming past time.

Last edited:

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
I don't fully understand the difference between d20 vs OGL. I've read through the FAQs and what not but could someone give me a concise difference (or point me to a place that directly compares & contrasts the two)?

The d20 trademark guidelines document seems to set out pretty clearly what you need to do to in order to qualify for that (and I see where the problems with this book come up) but I didn't see a similar thing for OGL. The OGL license doesn't actually seem to say much at all.

What does being d20 compliant vs OGL compliant do for you (other than getting a d20 logo on your book)?

What changes would they really need to make in order to go from d20 compliant to just OGL comliant (other than taking the d20 logo off)?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but this is a rather murky pond I'm diving into :)

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Ki Ryn said:
What does being d20 compliant vs OGL compliant do for you (other than getting a d20 logo on your book)?

That's about it. But having the d20 logo can make a big difference in terms of sales and customer recognition.

Ki Ryn said:
What changes would they really need to make in order to go from d20 compliant to just OGL comliant (other than taking the d20 logo off)?

If they were already OGL-compliant, they wouldn't need to make any changes other than removing the d20 logo (and any text the d20 license requires, like "Requires the use of the D&D Player's Handbook by Wizards of the Coast").

Orcus

First Post
Strange.

Valar Project, Inc.'s D20 license has been revoked for use with Book of Erotic Fantasy

As I understand the d20 license, it isnt on a product by product basis. A company either can use the license or they can't. If WotC revoked it, as I read the license, then the Valar Project can't EVER make a d20 product unless WotC allows them to "re-license."

So either:

1. Their license has been revoked completely and the press release is not accurate;
2. It was revoked, but WotC has allowed them to "re-license" meaning that so long as they comply the Valar Project can, after the BoEF, use the d20 STL; or
3. I am not reading the license correctly.

Clark

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
[Originally posted by MythosaAkira
If they were already OGL-compliant, they wouldn't need to make any changes other than removing the d20 logo (and any text the d20 license requires, like "Requires the use of the D&D Player's Handbook by Wizards of the Coast").

Luckily, he apparently anticipated this, so those cover changes are all they need to make. More on that here: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/3482.html

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Orcus said:
As I understand the d20 license, it isnt on a product by product basis. A company either can use the license or they can't. If WotC revoked it, as I read the license, then the Valar Project can't EVER make a d20 product unless WotC allows them to "re-license."

So either:

1. Their license has been revoked completely and the press release is not accurate;
2. It was revoked, but WotC has allowed them to "re-license" meaning that so long as they comply the Valar Project can, after the BoEF, use the d20 STL; or
3. I am not reading the license correctly.

Clark

Or...

4. It was revoked (perhaps a misleading term) by the Valar Project themselves for this one book (and its preview) pre-emptively and in recognition of potentially inevitible revocation of Valar Project licensing of the d20 STL by WotC. Through this approach the Valar Project might preserve the ability to utilize the d20 STL for future projects should the Valar Project deem their own material in some future releases does not jeopardize revocation of Valar Project d20 trademark licensing through WotC.

Merely more speculation, of course, but it fits the facts despite the interesting choice of verbage in the press release...

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Just feels like more fuel for the hype machine to me. The more press releases and hype released by these guys the more everything feels staged.

TheLe

First Post
philreed said:
Just feels like more fuel for the hype machine to me. The more press releases and hype released by these guys the more everything feels staged.

I agree. At this point everyone knows about the book, and they know it is d20 compatable. Since the subject is so tricky, I would say that any press release about the book, whether good or bad, is just free advertisement.

Sirius_Black

First Post
thele said:
I agree. At this point everyone knows about the book, and they know it is d20 compatable. Since the subject is so tricky, I would say that any press release about the book, whether good or bad, is just free advertisement.

And if WOTC simply wanted this product to fade away quickly and with little success, they certainly gave Valar sales and publicity another shot in the arm with the timing of the quality standard changes.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Ki Ryn said:
I don't fully understand the difference between d20 vs OGL. I've read through the FAQs and what not but could someone give me a concise difference (or point me to a place that directly compares & contrasts the two)?
All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.

All d20 products are OGL products but not all OGL products are d20 products.

A "d20" product is simply and OGL product that conforms to the following requirements above and beyond those in the OGL:

1.) At least 5% of the work is Open Game Content (there is no minimum in an OGL-only work).
2.) One of the "compatibility phrases" must appear on the cover of the work (e.g., "requires the use of the Player's Handbook, etc.") in 10-12 pt font (font size requirement new to the latest revision of the d20STL).
3.) Does not include rules for character generation or advancement (a level chart alone has been pronounced okay, instructions for actually using it are not).
4.) Does not attempt to re-define or expand any of the "specially defined terms" listed in the d20STL usage guide (e.g., "hit points," "Constitution," "fatigued," etc.)
5.) The publisher has submitted a "Postcard" with contact information to WotC (this requirement is new and introduced in the latest revision of the d20STL).
6.) The product conforms with WotC's quality standards (this requirement is new and introduced in the latest revision of the d20STL).

In exchange for the above, the product may use the "d20 logo" provided that logo is not obscured or altered in any way other than resizing (and may not be resized below one inch).

So, basically, making a d20 product is the same as making an OGL product and following the above six "extra steps." Which means, by the same token, making a "d20 product" into an "OGL product" simply means removing the d20 logo and the compatibility phrases (see #2).

Hope that is clear and concise enough.

--The Sigil

Remove ads